Forum Jump: 
 6Likes
  • 1 Post By Irizary
  • 2 Post By Foxfeather
  • 2 Post By no whey jose
  • 1 Post By silva

#1 Old 09-02-2010, 03:10 PM
Veggie Regular

Halp! I think I might have bed bugs. Of course, I try to avoid killing all living creatures... but how can I get rid of them (if I actually have them) without killing them? What do I do? Is there a way? What would you do?

Am very frazzled. Please help. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 09-02-2010, 03:15 PM
Beginner

eek

I'd say get rid of them, it's your bed and if you were invading another animals bed I think they would make a point of getting rid of you too :P
#3 Old 09-02-2010, 03:33 PM
Veggie Regular

As far as I know, there is no way to get rid of them without killing them. They won't leave, they can live a LONG time without feeding, they hide in the littlest cracks...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 09-02-2010, 03:34 PM
Veggie Regular

Just gather up all the bed bugs you can find, put them in a jar, and toss them outside. If it's too cold to put them outside, cover the jar with some cheesecloth, secure it with a rubber band, and several times a day stick your finger in so they can feed.

But..if you are being serious.. Think about it this way - would you let lice live on your head? No, you would remove them and kill them to protect yourself and to keep others from catching them. Bed bugs are no different except that they don't live on your body. Instead they live in your bedding, but they are still parasites that feed off of you. The first thing to do is determine if you have them. A quick search for "bed bug detection" brings up many informative sources. If you can't find the bugs or their remains but you are getting bitten, you should go to a doctor to determine what might be going on.
#5 Old 09-02-2010, 03:55 PM
Veggie Regular

This is where that "where possible and practical" thing comes in handy.
#6 Old 09-02-2010, 04:07 PM
Veggie Regular

Ugh I'm super paranoid about getting them. There have been numerous reports of infestations in my area. If I do happen to get them I'm calling an exterminator and making sure I get rid of them. I don't want these things living with me, biting me, my dog , my neighbors, their pets, their children, etc.
#7 Old 09-02-2010, 06:54 PM
Veggie Regular

In my opinion, it's ok to kill animals that are literally eating you (bed bugs, ticks, mosquitoes, fleas...). I don't think it's unvegan to do that since being vegan is about refraining from causing unnecessary intentional harm to nonhuman animals. IMO, killing bed bugs is necessary.
#8 Old 09-02-2010, 06:56 PM
Veggie Regular

I think you'll be fine, as long as you don't let them bite.

"A-yup. Ya wasted yer life, son"

- Old Man
#9 Old 09-02-2010, 07:20 PM
Veggie Regular

Yeah, unfortunately you have to fumigate to get rid of them. Don't feel guilty. They are sucking your blood without your permission, and they gotta go...

I had bed bugs once and it was a horrible experience. Had to replace my mattress and dry clean all of my clothing. Thank god I lived in an apartment and the superintendent paid for it all (since they came from the apartment below me).

http://bringingyouohm.wordpress.com/

Lokah Samastah Sukhino Bhavanto

'May everyone everywhere be happy
May the whole world be joyous'
#10 Old 09-02-2010, 09:35 PM
Veggie Regular

I know this question sounded silly, but I had to ask in case their was an alternative I could exercise. I intend on exterminating if I have them and there's no other way. I just wanted to be sure.
#11 Old 09-03-2010, 12:26 AM
Veggie Regular

There's nothing wrong with wanting to avoid killing animals, no matter how small. Unfortunately sometimes it truly is the only way.

i hear in my mind all of these voices
i hear in my mind all of these words
i hear in my mind all of this music
#12 Old 09-03-2010, 07:14 PM
Veggie Regular

If I got them, I can tell you right now I'd refrain from killing them at all costs. Relocate my mattress, my bed if I have to, get a new one. I do not believe in killing any living creature.

Enjoying the view over at http://forum.veggieviews.com/

#13 Old 09-03-2010, 08:49 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegkid View Post

If I got them, I can tell you right now I'd refrain from killing them at all costs. Relocate my mattress, my bed if I have to, get a new one. I do not believe in killing any living creature.

I appreciate the sentiment, but how do you feel about killing parasitic worms if you get them? Worms are more serious in the sense that they can cause serious disease, and I think bedbugs are more a source of major irritation, but they're both parasitic.

I will not kill anyone who incidentally bites me (like spiders), but those who are parasitic I will get rid of - but I'm not happy about it.

"If you want to know where you would have stood on slavery before the civil war, don't look at where you stand on slavery today, look at where you stand on animal rights." - Paul Watson.

Every animal you eat
was running for her life

#14 Old 09-03-2010, 08:53 PM
Veggie Regular

If there were worms inside me I'd get rid of them in every way possible. It's one thing when there are animals inside of you, eating you, and about to kill you. For me, it's different having a bunch of bugs in a bed that can be moved.

#15 Old 09-03-2010, 09:29 PM
Veggie Regular

You may not realize that they won't just stay in the bed - if you sleep somewhere else in the house they will seek you (or pets) out there. They seek out the carbon dioxide you breathe out (I think that's what happens) and feed off of blood.

"If you want to know where you would have stood on slavery before the civil war, don't look at where you stand on slavery today, look at where you stand on animal rights." - Paul Watson.

Every animal you eat
was running for her life

#16 Old 09-03-2010, 09:36 PM
Veggie Regular

Doing some researching...here's a way to potentially get rid of a small infestation (without killing, if that's your preference). But most importantly without pesticides:

http://abclocal.go.com/wabc/story?se...ide&id=7212643

Kind of exciting, it's the first thing I've seen about a harmless method (for you and other animals) of eradication that makes sense and might really work. Although one of the commenters makes a good point about needing to vacate for awhile.
brookgirl likes this.

Every animal you eat
was running for her life

#17 Old 09-04-2010, 12:20 AM
Veggie Regular

So, I've discovered that the rash I previously thought to be poison ivy/poison oak is bedbug bites. Does anybody know how to get remedy the bites?

Did you write the book of love, and do you have faith in God above,
If the Bible tells you so? Do you believe in rock Ân roll,
Can music save your mortal soul, And can you teach me how to dance real slow?
#18 Old 09-04-2010, 07:59 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irizary View Post

Doing some researching...here's a way to potentially get rid of a small infestation (without killing, if that's your preference). But most importantly without pesticides:

Kind of exciting, it's the first thing I've seen about a harmless method (for you and other animals) of eradication that makes sense and might really work. Although one of the commenters makes a good point about needing to vacate for awhile.

I really like this. I'll keep this in mind if any bed bugs ever decide to come to my house.

#19 Old 09-04-2010, 09:25 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

If there were worms inside me I'd get rid of them in every way possible. It's one thing when there are animals inside of you, eating you, and about to kill you. For me, it's different having a bunch of bugs in a bed that can be moved.

They don't just live in beds though. They can live behind furniture or in any small dark crevices you might have in your room.
#20 Old 09-04-2010, 12:42 PM

Quote:
This is where that "where possible and practical" thing comes in handy. \t\t\t\t\t\t

I love that part

B.Crew
www.thevegancrew.com
twitter.com/thevegancrew
#21 Old 09-06-2010, 02:31 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by dormouse View Post

They don't just live in beds though. They can live behind furniture or in any small dark crevices you might have in your room.

That furniture can be moved, I can move.

#22 Old 09-07-2010, 11:52 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

That furniture can be moved, I can move.

Yes, but when you move they're going to be killed either way. There's next to no way that anyone is going to live in a home where parasites attack them on a nightly basis. Also, if you were my neighbour we'd have strong words about your bedbugs invading my home and attacking me and my pets. Strong, strong words
#23 Old 09-07-2010, 01:29 PM
Veggie Regular

I won't justify killing them, period. But I would do whatever it took to get rid of them humanely, so hopefully, I wouldn't be moving in the first place.

#24 Old 02-24-2015, 07:54 PM

Quote:
I won't justify killing them, period. But I would do whatever it took to get rid of them humanely, so hopefully, I wouldn't be moving in the first place.
There is no way to get rid of them humanely. I know this because I have them right now, and they are the most impossible monstrosities to ever have to suffer with. You can't even imagine. They cause my husband itchy painful welts all over his torso, they crawl on our faces at night, they get into every nook and cranny conceivable, and they mate more than rabbits. The fact is you are going to either live with bugs crawling on you all night and sucking your blood, or you are going to kill them. Choose one.

I'm vegan but this is where I draw the line. Even the most devout Buddhists will admit that sometimes it is necessary to kill an insect like this if it is causing you pain and distress. It is lunacy to allow something like that to just continue to parasitically live off you, if there is something you can do. I know you BELIEVE you could just move your mattress or something but you clearly know nothing of bedbugs. They will go with you WHEREVER you go. They are inescapable once you have them unless you destroy them.

So yeah, I'm using every kind of pesticide I can until they're eradicated. And I don't feel an ounce of regret.
leedsveg and MozIsMyShepherd like this.
#25 Old 02-25-2015, 07:33 AM
Super Moderator

I'm going to agree with the majority here and say that parasites and pests which are causing you or your family harm need to go. If there's a way to remove them without killing them, that's great-- but if not, you shouldn't feel ashamed or guilty about protecting your health and safety.

Even if a sentient animal was attacking me or someone I love, I wouldn't hesitate to stop them by whatever means necessary.
leedsveg and MozIsMyShepherd like this.
#26 Old 02-25-2015, 03:30 PM
Super Moderator

I need to chime in this old thread because I had them about three years ago.
To anyone opposed to killing them--unless you're okay with feeding them, your blood, you are killing them. Parasites require hosts so "relocating them" is only giving them to someone else to kill, making you an accomplish

I've always known to wash and dry thrift store items. I never liked garage sales, but one day one caught my eye and I found a couple pants that looked like they'd go with a hard to pair top. Not thinking, I laid them on bed and left them there that day. The next day I was itchy. I guessed it from yard work. Next day really itchy. Ecxema? Third day unbearable. Looked at pic, lifted up that rope on mattress all around, saw what looked like ink dots. Called exterminater. Sprayed the entire room, ruined mattress, got rid of them.

Lessons learned:
Wash and dry ESP. from garage sales. Thrift stores are more likely regulated.
Get enclosures for mattress that are bedbug proof. Box spring too
If you suspect them, don't leave the room, but do wear as much protective clothing as possible till you get exterminator.
Do it immediately! Every day that you think you don't want to "harm them" they multiply and you're responsible for killing more, and having them spread.
I was lucky that I was sensitive. Some aren't so sensitive to bites and it can get much worse.

Benedryl pills were the only effective treatment for itch. It was a nonstop, ever ending itch. I scratched and rubbed till I had bruises

Look under picture frames, and under everything when traveling. Keep clothes bagged and wash and dry immediatly. Heat will kill them and eggs
Tiger Lilly likes this.
#27 Old 02-25-2015, 08:16 PM
Beginner

I work in a library in an area where several patrons have bed bugs. I read once that lavender essential oil keeps bed bugs at bay, and so far it has worked for me (I add a few drops of lavender and lemon oil to my laundry and dab it on my collar before work.) I don't know if this is because I'm already cautious about bed bugs or because the lavender actually works. Even if it is the oil, I don't know how successful it would be at driving them off once they've already settled. However, remember that there's no shame in biting back (figuratively.) There's a difference between killing an animal for food and killing an animal that's threatening you.
#28 Old 02-25-2015, 10:57 PM
Vegan as f**k

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irizary View Post

It would be good to try this first I think and see if it was effective
#29 Old 02-26-2015, 12:30 AM
Lovable misanthrope

I would not extend my sympathy to parasites

it takes guts to be gentle and kind

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page