Daniel Bryan, vegan WWE wrestler - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 08-17-2010, 04:27 PM
Riot Nrrrd

It has been mentioned a few times on WWE wrestling programs that wrestler Daniel Bryan (real name Bryan Danielson) is a vegan.

Here's a wikipedia overview of his career: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bryan_Danielson

The announcer who has mentioned Bryan's diet usually puts it in negative terms ("How can you be an athlete and not eat meat?") but much of that bluster is 'part of the show'. A storyline is being advanced.

Actually the overall portrayal ends up positive, as the announcer comes off as whiny/ignorant (which is as no doubt intended).

Dave in MPLS / DISCLAIMER: I am not an actual rooster.
"It is better to light a candle than to curse the darkness"
National Suicide Prevention Lifeline 18002738255
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 08-17-2010, 05:36 PM
Veggie Regular

Apparently the announcer was making fun of his vegan diet last night, but I wasn't watching it. My SO watches wrestling and he recording it so I'll see it tomorrow night when I go over there.
#3 Old 08-17-2010, 05:52 PM
Beginner

Well, I don't follow sports or anything, but I know that you don't need to eat meat to be physically active. I felt waaaaaay better when I went vegan and went running. I had more energy. But, nonetheless, our world can sometimes be run by macho meat-headed (haha no pun intended) people who think you have to eat two servings of meat a day to be healthy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 08-17-2010, 08:59 PM
Veggie Regular

I've always liked Bryan Danielson in the indy wrestling scene, and I think he is a very positive example of a vegan athlete. On another note, one of the female WWE wrestlers, Tiffany, is also a vegan. The majority of the female wrestlers in the WWE aren't exactly known for their amazing wrestling prowess though...

"A-yup. Ya wasted yer life, son"

- Old Man
#5 Old 08-18-2010, 09:28 AM
Riot Nrrrd

Tiffany was suspended last week after being charged with a misdemeanor arising from a domestic spat.

Which has nothing to do with anything important

#6 Old 08-18-2010, 09:49 AM
Veggie Regular

He looks very healthy and attractive. Plus him being a vegan is appealing.

8/3/2010 is the last time I consumed meat.
8/4/2010 is when I became a full blown Vegetarian and I couldn't be more proud.
#7 Old 08-19-2010, 09:33 AM
Veggie Regular

Hmm, so I totally don't follow wrestling, but the show quoted in the OP's post was on last night at a friend's house and I heard the exact same quote. Surprisingly, everyone in the room stopped when they heard that quote and said it was a stupid thing to say (and they're all omnis!). I agree with it being "bluster" and everything but I'm still glad people noticed he was being called out for being vegan. And I don't recall exactly, but I think he ended up doing pretty well in the match?
#8 Old 08-19-2010, 09:44 AM
Veggie Regular

I was unaware people still watch wrestling. Huh.

I've never thought body builders OR wrestlers were particularly healthy people, actually. They often have bizzarre muscle proportions because they spend time working out rather than using their bodies in natural ways.

Speaking of which, are there vegan pro MMA fighters? I'd care about that. THEY are true athletes!
#9 Old 08-19-2010, 11:15 AM
Veggie Regular

my google search brought up Ricardo Moreira, mac Danzig but I didn't follow the link .. Urijah Faber eats "boarderline vegetarian" (gol don't we hate that term) Randy Coture is an advocate tof the "high alkaline diet" (An Alkaline diet is based on the consumption of fresh fruits, vegetables, roots and tubers, nuts, and legumes while avoiding grains, dairy, meat and excess salt.).....

http://haylieskitchen.blogspot.com/ (married to an omni so cooking from both spectrums)
#10 Old 08-19-2010, 12:07 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Semicharmed View Post

Speaking of which, are there vegan pro MMA fighters? I'd care about that.

The physicality and skill of the pro MMA fighters is interesting. I'm curious now too.

Lol about your "people still watch wrestling" comment. The guys I know watch it for purely nostalgic, sentimental reasons as their dads would sit with them and watch it & tell them all about it when they were really little. It just stuck, I guess.
#11 Old 08-19-2010, 12:12 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Semicharmed View Post

I was unaware people still watch wrestling. Huh.

I've never thought body builders OR wrestlers were particularly healthy people, actually. They often have bizzarre muscle proportions because they spend time working out rather than using their bodies in natural ways.

I agree, a lot of those people look bizarre and frightening. It's always weird to me because I know they worked really really hard and put in hours of effort to look all orange and oily and lumpy like that. Different strokes for different folks I guess?

"If we could live happy and healthy lives without harming others... why wouldn't we?" - Edgars Mission
#12 Old 08-19-2010, 04:49 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Werewolf Girl View Post

I agree, a lot of those people look bizarre and frightening. It's always weird to me because I know they worked really really hard and put in hours of effort to look all orange and oily and lumpy like that. Different strokes for different folks I guess?

Wait, what? So you ladies DON'T find this attractive?

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/under13c.jpg

"A-yup. Ya wasted yer life, son"

- Old Man
#13 Old 08-19-2010, 05:15 PM
Veggie Regular

crap that scene from alien just went through my mind

Misstress of Fabulousness and Fashion! - *AHIMSA*
#14 Old 08-20-2010, 07:43 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortstack View Post

my google search brought up Ricardo Moreira, mac Danzig but I didn't follow the link .. Urijah Faber eats "boarderline vegetarian" (gol don't we hate that term) Randy Coture is an advocate tof the "high alkaline diet" (An Alkaline diet is based on the consumption of fresh fruits, vegetables, roots and tubers, nuts, and legumes while avoiding grains, dairy, meat and excess salt.).....

Ooooh! I know of Mac Danzig, and of course, The Natural! (That's Randy Couture, for the uninitiated... :P) Danzig won one of the seasons of Ultimate Fighter and was GODDAMN ROBBED a couple months ago by a piss-poor ref, and Randy Couture is just epic.

YAYAYAY.

I can't believe I didn't know Danzig is a straight-up vegan. Good for him. Though, of course, it must be hard for him, being a vegan. Because that means he's terribly weak and sickly. Amirite or amirite?

(Mac Danzig, handing out face-punchings)
#15 Old 08-20-2010, 08:21 AM
Veggie Regular

I think that if you look at naturally built fighters - especially vegan and/or straight edge ones, their physiques are usually not as grossly out of proportion as the average meat head steroid taking fighters. You are what you eat, and you build a different type of healthy muscle on a clean diet.

Tam! RUGH!
#16 Old 08-23-2010, 02:00 PM
Veggie Regular

Josh I totally totally agree!

OH SEMICHARMED! I can't stop laughing.. endlessly.. hehehe. the only comment he made in regards to his health and veganism is that when he went vegan he found he would get more sore from deep workouts than befgore HOWEVER he also recovered much much faster. so i think thats a pro not a con.

http://haylieskitchen.blogspot.com/ (married to an omni so cooking from both spectrums)
#17 Old 08-23-2010, 02:34 PM
Veggie Regular

I thought you guys were talking about Danzig from the Misfits. I am so out of it.

You're gonna make me puke my pants.
#18 Old 08-23-2010, 04:55 PM
Veggie Regular

creep *laughing* you make me smile!

#19 Old 12-22-2011, 05:43 PM
Veggie Regular

http://www.peta.org/b/thepetafiles/a...mpionship.aspx

Bumping this thread because Daniel Bryan just won the WWE U.S. championship!

"If we could live happy and healthy lives without harming others... why wouldn't we?" - Edgars Mission
#20 Old 12-22-2011, 07:04 PM
Riot Nrrrd

Yeah, right now the 2 biggest titles in pro wrestling are held by a vegan (world champion Daniel Bryan) and a straight edge guy (WWE champion CM Punk). Something so unlikely I can't say I'd ever have imagined it.

#21 Old 12-22-2011, 07:20 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave in MPLS View Post

It has been mentioned a few times on WWE wrestling programs that wrestler Daniel Bryan (real name Bryan Danielson) is a vegan.

But, but .. where does he get his protein ???
#22 Old 12-24-2011, 09:20 AM
Veggie Regular

Here's good old Danny boy, my second favorite pro wrestler behind the incomparable CM Punk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n_Vtwdozi-Q

Tam! RUGH!
#23 Old 12-24-2011, 01:51 PM
Riot Nrrrd

There is something oddly fascinating in one of the matches on the 'History of the WWE Championship' DVD set. The footage is the final 10 minutes or so of a 1974 match between Killer Kowalski and Bruno Sammartino. Kowalski keeps biting Sammartino's head, which eventually starts bleeding (I didn't notice Sammartino using a razor blade, so it may have been Kowalski's biting that legitimately opened the wound). At the end of the match Kowlski has Sammartino's blood all over his mouth. The bit that makes this interesting/odd/relevant to this topic: Kowalski was a vegetarian. (He had a lifelong interest in philosophy and followed some variant of virtue ethics.) His vegetarianism is mentioned in Jim Ross' match intro on the DVD (cool that they mention it!)

#24 Old 12-24-2011, 04:37 PM
Veggie Regular

Yeah I've read that about him before. I have some old wrestling tapes with some of his matches. Cool and fascinating guy.

Tam! RUGH!
#25 Old 02-05-2012, 11:29 PM
Riot Nrrrd

Hey Josh James ... didja see this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cj-RoQk4vPg

#26 Old 02-06-2012, 04:05 AM
Veggie Regular

Two best guys in the business right there.

Tam! RUGH!
#27 Old 02-06-2012, 11:16 AM
Veggie Regular

vegan ? you mean he eats a vegan diet. big difference.

auto correct can kiss my ask
#28 Old 02-06-2012, 04:18 PM
Riot Nrrrd

Quote:
vegan ? you mean he eats a vegan diet. big difference.

Yeah, there would be if he wasn't vegan in non-dietary lifestyle choices as well. Which he is. And I'd say it'd be a big deal even if it was strictly his diet.

#29 Old 02-06-2012, 11:54 PM
Veggie Regular

^^ i didnt say that it wasnt a big deal, just saying its probably not a vegan deal.

Quote:
Yeah, there would be if he wasn't vegan in non-dietary lifestyle choices as well. Which he is.

based on previous celebs that took up a vegan diet for their health and then got on petas payroll [as he did,] the cynic in me would need a bit more evidence than "dave from vb sad so" in order to believe that he is really living a vegan lifestyle. if you can provide that, im happy to accept it.

auto correct can kiss my ask
#30 Old 02-07-2012, 06:38 PM
Riot Nrrrd

Quote:
the cynic in me would need a bit more evidence than "dave from vb sad so" in order to believe that he is really living a vegan lifestyle

I'm going off things Bryan himself has said based on coverage I've seen of him from wrestling sources. But I don't know the guy or if he prefers D2 supplements to D3, so I can't show you the stigmata you seek, Thomas. (That's a gratuitous Biblical reference, just for fun).

Speaking of wrestling sources. Pro Wrestling Torch had interesting comments about Bryan being scripted on last week's Smackdown to use being vegan in a promo to get booed. Two really interesting points they made 1) it seemed out of touch with 2012 for the writers to think being vegan would generate a healthy chorus of boos 2) vegan wasn't defined very well in the promo.

Quote:
based on previous celebs that took up a vegan diet for their health

Even the unsatisfying writer monkey promo mentioned above made points about animal ethics and factory farms.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page