Need lots and lots of ideas for BEANS - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 07-24-2010, 09:05 AM
Banned

As some of you saw when I updated with a new introduction post, I backslid and am currently back to being just vegetarian (after a stint of being omni). I'm trying to get my way back to veganism, but I have new problems that have surfaced. After I stopped being vegan I went to see my doctor, who was vegan and would give it to me straight, and had him do some various tests on me (blood test, allergy test, etc) because I told him that in my last few months of being vegan I was starting to feel really sick all the time. After all of that I have found out a few different things. The first being that I am severely intolerant to soy and I also have a slight intolerance to gluten. I do NOT have to be gluten free, but things like seitan are just not options. Where does that leave me? Eating a crap ton of beans. I have to tell you, I'm not happy about this. Beans are great, I love beans, but they can get severely monotonous if you eat them for years and years and years a...well, you get the point. They were already a staple in my diet and I would get really tired of them, so now them having to be the basis of my diet is just not making me very happy

Sooo yea, I guess I should start getting on the fantastic bean recipes. And yes, I realize I can also use nuts and seeds for some protein...but with nuts also comes fat and with my training (I'm getting back into doing MMA) I have to watch my diet like crazy

Oh and PS...I hate lentils (>_<), I know, I'm being difficult!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 07-24-2010, 09:50 AM
Veggie Regular

This is a site I've used before to get some tasty bean recipes: Beans! Many of the recipes are already vegan or can be easily adapted by swapping out stuff like veggie broth for chicken, earth balance or olive oil for butter, etc. and I really like the fact they include nutritional information with most of their recipes.

Support your right to arm bears. ~Cleveland Amory
#3 Old 07-24-2010, 11:21 AM
Rat Queen/Mouse Matriarch

Have you tried quinoa? Good source of complete proteins and it's gluten-free.

I can't abandon the person I used to be, so I carry her.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 07-24-2010, 11:31 AM
Veggie Regular

I don't eat soy, gluten, beans, or nuts/seeds. I don't know why you think you'd have to eat beans, esp. since you don't even like to eat them often. Green leafy vegetables are the best source of protein, and every whole food has protein.
#5 Old 07-24-2010, 12:04 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhys' date='24 July 2010 - 01:21 PM' timestamp='1279992072' post='2678238 View Post

Have you tried quinoa? Good source of complete proteins and it's gluten-free.

Ah, for some reason quinoa didn't even enter my head haha, which is silly of me considering I eat it on a regular basis. When I do eat grains I try and stick to ancient grains since they've been consumed by humans longer than things like brown rice (though I love that too lol)
#6 Old 07-24-2010, 12:07 PM
Veggie Regular

There is a cookbook called More Fabulous Beans. (it's vegan)
#7 Old 07-24-2010, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Where does that leave me? Eating a crap ton of beans.

Interesting you never considered fruit !!!

Don't know why people are afraid of fruit???

But anyway, I suggest that you read 80 10 10 if you havent already.

Here are some simple meals to give you 700 around 700 calories.

2 1/3 cups grapes

6-7 bananas

3/4 watermelon

6 mangos

I know your not going for raw, but how about an all fruit breakfast???

Low fat, whole foods full of nutrients, no salt, no beans LOL, no grains, just wash and eat.

Hint: Go to calorie king and type in the amount i listed above to see all the nutrients they contain.
#8 Old 07-24-2010, 12:50 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by RawCanadian' date='24 July 2010 - 02:44 PM' timestamp='1279997075' post='2678265 View Post

Interesting you never considered fruit !!!

Don't know why people are afraid of fruit???

But anyway, I suggest that you read 80 10 10 if you havent already.

Here are some simple meals to give you 700 around 700 calories.

2 1/3 cups grapes

6-7 bananas

3/4 watermelon

6 mangos

I know your not going for raw, but how about an all fruit breakfast???

Low fat, whole foods full of nutrients, no salt, no beans LOL, no grains, just wash and eat.

Hint: Go to calorie king and type in the amount i listed above to see all the nutrients they contain.

Actually I've been posting more on the raw board because I'm thinking that eating a more raw vegan diet woudl 1)eliminate the whole bean issue and 2)help with my boyfriend's stomach/digestion/reflux issues.

So those suggestions are completely something I'm considering lol. Our biggest issue is going to be financials. Until he gets back from his 2-week AT (military stuff) on the 8th of august we're basically broke, literally...not even food stamps left to buy food with (>_<). Once he gets back and then he gets his check from this AT (around August 20) we should be good

Sorry, random rambling!
#9 Old 07-24-2010, 12:57 PM
Veggie Regular

I'm going to make the Mexican Bean Salad posted by Karen at allrecipes.com this weekend. Looks good to me!
#10 Old 07-24-2010, 12:57 PM
Veggie Regular

I'm all in favor of eating fruit for breakfast, but the grapes should be eaten alone, as should the watermelon, and you can eat the bananas and mango together. Otherwise you may have bloating and gass, as watermelon will digest first, followed by the bananas, mango, and then the grapes. If anything, eat the watermelon, wait 30 min., then eat the bananas and mango, wait an hour, and then eat the grapes. Or just eat 700 calories of foods with similar digestion time together. Some people think fruit gives them gas; this is because they are eating fruits in bad combinations, eat a high-fat diet, a highly processed diet, or all of the above.
#11 Old 07-24-2010, 01:18 PM

Beans are great, but the definitely don't have to be your only source of protein! As others have said, fruit, vegetables and grains all have protein in them too. Not much in terms of grams, but lots of easily available amino acids and as a %age of calories are pretty good. Broccoli, for instance, is 20% protein for its calories.

Quinoa has a good protein profile for a grain, but oats have quite a bit of protein as well, as does amaranth and wheat.

Protein is way overemphasized in North America - eat a variety of whole vegan foods and you'll be fine.

If you want a different way to enjoy beans, try making them into a sauce. You can use any kind of bean dip recipe and just add more water and serve it over raw/steamed/sauteed vegetables and/or grains. I have a recipe on video on my website if you want help with it.

Another thing I almost always do with beans to cut down on massive bean meals is that when I make them, I mix them into a vegetable dish. Zucchini with cannellini beans is one of my favorites, and the zucchini really lightens up the beans.

Making your own veggie burgers is another good way to have beans differently, and although I never do tofu I love tempeh. It is a fermented soy product, and the carbohydrate in soy that we aren't able to digest (stachyose) gets broken down in fermentation.

If you have any questions, let me know - I just finished writing an ebook on how to get protein as a vegan, so all this info is top of mind for me right now!!

Feel free to check out my videos on how to make healthy and delicious vegan meals at www.HealthyVeganRecipes.net
#12 Old 07-25-2010, 07:03 AM
Veggie Regular

I smoosh them with chickpeas to make patties/burgers. I use kidney beans in curries as well as chickpeas. Replace seitan mince with beans for spaghetti bolognese, kidney beans on pizza is really nice too. Mexican is obvious option. I've made stroganoff and other meat base recipes with beans as a sub.
#13 Old 07-25-2010, 09:54 AM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by LabileLotus' date='24 July 2010 - 11:05 AM' timestamp='1279983907' post='2678174 View Post

As some of you saw when I updated with a new introduction post, I backslid and am currently back to being just vegetarian (after a stint of being omni). I'm trying to get my way back to veganism, but I have new problems that have surfaced. After I stopped being vegan I went to see my doctor, who was vegan and would give it to me straight, and had him do some various tests on me (blood test, allergy test, etc) because I told him that in my last few months of being vegan I was starting to feel really sick all the time. After all of that I have found out a few different things. The first being that I am severely intolerant to soy and I also have a slight intolerance to gluten. I do NOT have to be gluten free, but things like seitan are just not options. Where does that leave me? Eating a crap ton of beans. I have to tell you, I'm not happy about this. Beans are great, I love beans, but they can get severely monotonous if you eat them for years and years and years a...well, you get the point. They were already a staple in my diet and I would get really tired of them, so now them having to be the basis of my diet is just not making me very happy

Sooo yea, I guess I should start getting on the fantastic bean recipes. And yes, I realize I can also use nuts and seeds for some protein...but with nuts also comes fat and with my training (I'm getting back into doing MMA) I have to watch my diet like crazy

Oh and PS...I hate lentils (>_<), I know, I'm being difficult!

Drain and rinse one can of white (cannelini) beans. Dry off and put in a bowl with a little extra virgin olive oil, balsamic vinegar, s & p, garlic powder, onion powder, red pepper flakes, and mash with a fork. You want it like half mashed but all mixed. Add some torn up basil. Spread on crackers or a toasted bagel. GREAT snack! To change it up, sometimes I fold in some chopped tomatoes.
#14 Old 07-26-2010, 12:26 PM
Veggie Regular

I love beans. I eat a lot of them.

Some ideas: bean tacos, bean burritos, 3 bean soup, add beans to veggie soup, bean salad, bean burgers, bean dip, black bean soup, lima bean soup, bean casserole, bean enchiladas, red beans and rice, bean tamales, bean chili, succotash with beans, BBQ beans with cornbread...

I also agree with others to use quinoa as a protein source. And to remember there's protein in lots of other foods so if you just eat enough of a wide variety you'll probably be fine.
#15 Old 07-26-2010, 04:35 PM
Veggie Regular

I made the rustic white beans with mushrooms from Veganomicon last week, and it was the best bean dish I've had in a while. Here's the recipe: http://www.cornwallcoop.com/2010/01/...and-mushrooms/

You're gonna make me puke my pants.
#16 Old 07-26-2010, 05:12 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by creep' date='26 July 2010 - 06:35 PM' timestamp='1280183722' post='2679185 View Post

I made the rustic white beans with mushrooms from Veganomicon last week, and it was the best bean dish I've had in a while. Here's the recipe: http://www.cornwallcoop.com/2010/01/...and-mushrooms/

Oooh, I've been wanting to make that one! Glad to hear a good review for it, I should test it out real soon.

"If we could live happy and healthy lives without harming others... why wouldn't we?" - Edgars Mission
#17 Old 07-28-2010, 01:21 PM

I have a very delicious and easy bean dish for you...

All it takes is white beans, I get organic glass preserved ones.

Chop and fry an onion or shallot in coconut oil, you could use olive oil, but I prefer to use coconut oil as it does not turn toxic upon heating, but whatever makes you happy.

Drain the beans from it's excessive fluids, toss in with the fried chopped onion, and use a potato masher to mash the beans, some salt and pepper... this turns it into a serious easy substitute for mashed potato, I like this even more actually.

Create your own reality!
#18 Old 07-29-2010, 02:27 AM
Beginner

Minestrone soup! I don't know if someone already put that, but I just ate some really good soup and thought I'd share! lol
#19 Old 07-29-2010, 06:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElaineVigneault' date='26 July 2010 - 02:26 PM' timestamp='1280168808' post='2679066 View Post

I love beans. I eat a lot of them.

Some ideas: bean tacos, bean burritos, 3 bean soup, add beans to veggie soup, bean salad, bean burgers, bean dip, black bean soup, lima bean soup, bean casserole, bean enchiladas, red beans and rice, bean tamales, bean chili, succotash with beans, BBQ beans with cornbread...

I also agree with others to use quinoa as a protein source. And to remember there's protein in lots of other foods so if you just eat enough of a wide variety you'll probably be fine.

All foods have protein, even a banana. If you get your daily calories from food sources, you get your protein.
#20 Old 07-29-2010, 05:31 PM
Veggie Regular

Do you dislike lentils, or have you only tried them one or two ways? I can think of at least seven different types, and hundreds of ways of cooking them! My daughter's BF is Asian, loves lentils but can't stand yellow ones, she can't stand brown and I really don't like the orange ones! Try some different ways to cook them and you may be surprised... I even make a smooth dhal which you wouldn't know was lentil by texture.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page