I was just told it is rude to ask a chef to accomodate a vegan - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 07-19-2010, 07:55 PM
Veggie Regular

He said, "I wouldn't go into a vegan restaurant and ask if they'd make me a steak, it would be rude. Therefore it is rude for you to ask a chef to change his dishes, you should just go somewhere else."

I'm astonished that he doesn't see that it's not quite the same thing. I've always thought it was fine to politely ask, and have found MOST places to be accommodating and somewhat used to it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 07-19-2010, 07:58 PM

Wow, that's totally not the same thing!

I had to request something "special" at a restaurant today (bar&grill), and they were fine with it. They even asked if it was okay!

I think as long as you express your thanks, it's fine.

It's not like you're saying, "I'M VEGAN FEED ME, YOU CRAZY CARNIVORES!!"
#3 Old 07-19-2010, 08:03 PM
Veggie Regular

Wow. Whoever "he" is, he couldn't be more wrong. The term omnivore is all-inclusive, so vegan options or accommodations should be available in an omnivore restaurant, provided they are politely asked for.

"A-yup. Ya wasted yer life, son"

- Old Man
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 07-19-2010, 08:05 PM
Veggie Regular

Restaurants are in the business of making money and most, if they are able, will accomodate a vegan's requests!

"Now listen, I know you've got to think about your image, 'cause image is important to you, because of course your friends are gonna dictate your actions through the rest of your lives, and I wouldn't want you to step away from them and become an individual, that would almost be too much!"...

#5 Old 07-19-2010, 08:06 PM
Veggie Regular

I agree with Snowcone (by the way, I love your avatar).

Did you write the book of love, and do you have faith in God above,
If the Bible tells you so? Do you believe in rock Ân roll,
Can music save your mortal soul, And can you teach me how to dance real slow?
#6 Old 07-19-2010, 08:11 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katoo' date='20 July 2010 - 03:55 PM' timestamp='1279594511' post='2676093 View Post

He said, "I wouldn't go into a vegan restaurant and ask if they'd make me a steak, it would be rude. Therefore it is rude for you to ask a chef to change his dishes, you should just go somewhere else."

I'm astonished that he doesn't see that it's not quite the same thing. I've always thought it was fine to politely ask, and have found MOST places to be accommodating and somewhat used to it.

Well in some ways he is correct , a steak joint doesn't have to accommodate to a vegan request .

I must admit its a rear response , I think I have only had one like that in my life .

Just politely smile and move on . Katoo , some just don't get it .
#7 Old 07-19-2010, 08:17 PM

That was so rude of him, what an arrogant, ignorant so-and-so! Just never go back, and tell all your friends. I mean, what if you had an allergy or a medical condition or something? I bet it's not a case of it being inconvenient to cater for, you've asked nicely, kitchens always have salads and veg on hand if nothing else veg*n friendly, I think he's just one of those closed minded people who can't or won't respect or even attempt to understand other people's opinions or ethical stand points, because they're different to theirs..
#8 Old 07-19-2010, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katoo' date='20 July 2010 - 12:25 PM' timestamp='1279594511' post='2676093 View Post

He said, "I wouldn't go into a vegan restaurant and ask if they'd make me a steak, it would be rude.

what a spanner comparing those 2 situations of course its rude cuz he would be violating the ethical principles of the proprietor & their customers, but requesting a plant based meal in an omni eaterie isnt offending any ethical principles. hes a wingnut
#9 Old 07-19-2010, 09:20 PM
Beginner

What the? It's not rude at all!

And also, I agree that there is a full difference between a omni asking for steak in a Vegan restraunt and a Vegan asking for a meat free meal in a 'normal' restaraunt!

It is not against their beliefs to eat plants (i hope..)

#10 Old 07-19-2010, 09:45 PM
Veggie Regular

"He" is pretty silly. Unless "he" is important to you, I would try not to spend my time with people who are logic-challenged - it's too frustrating. Those two situations are obviously not analogous, and furthermore, what are people who have allergies or just don't like something supposed to do - never go into a place that serves dairy, eggs, etc. because they might make a request to modify a menu item?

"If you want to know where you would have stood on slavery before the civil war, don't look at where you stand on slavery today, look at where you stand on animal rights." - Paul Watson.

Every animal you eat
was running for her life

#11 Old 07-19-2010, 10:43 PM
Kiz
Veggie Regular

Rude? I thought that chefs got paid to cook people food to their specification, within limits at least. Silly me.

Love the post? Why not buy the T-shirt!
http://www.kiz-shop.de/index.php?page=categorie&cat=8
http://www.kiz-shop.de/index.php?page=product&info=94
#12 Old 07-20-2010, 08:52 AM
Veggie Regular

on the bright side, at least he told you he wasn't going to do it instead of half-assing it and you not knowing if what you're getting is really vegan.

makes me so depressed sometimes that you can't go to a restaurant and order anything that doesn't have animal products in it, you'd think real food would be more popular.

I was in vegas earlier this year for a convention and didn't have much time for finding restaurants, a couple of the places I went to could only make me a lettuce salad w/ like 3 cherry tomatoes. ugh i hate lettuce salads.
#13 Old 07-20-2010, 09:27 AM
Veggie Regular

I think it would be moronic to go into a vegan restaurant and request steak. And it would be equally moronic to waltz into a steakhouse requesting seitan. In both instances, hey, guess what? You're requesting something this place simply does NOT serve.

So if you're heading off to steakhouses and requesting they whip you up something they don't HAVE, I can see why your friend would make a comparison... Otherwise, no.

I've found that requesting to alter a dish is only rude if a menu states plainly that no alterations or substitutions can be made. Then you're just being annoying. But other than that? Request away. If certain items are on their menu (and aren't already pre-made and thus can't be altered) it's no problem to ask for what you want.

I bet your pal wouldn't give you s*** if you were requesting altered meals because of an allergy.
#14 Old 07-20-2010, 11:46 AM
Veggie Regular

I also think it is not rude. A lot of times I eat at steak and other types of restaurants with my family and they normally are happy to make something for me. Ofcourse I don't exspect them to have tofu but if its a nice place, they make the food from scratch anyway and they have vegetables so they are normally more than happy to make a veggie plate for me. Its just good customer service. My family and I are more likely to go back if they try to accomadate everyone. I have been to places (a seafood restaurant) that said they couldn't do anything that wasn't on the menu or modify the veggie sides to not include dairy because they were just too busy. So that place is off our list of restaurants to frequent. As long as you ask nicely I don't think it can be considered rude.

I eat everything that nature voluntarily gives: fruits, vegetables, and the products of plants. But I ask you to spare me what animals are forced to surrender: meat, milk, and cheese. ~Author Unknown
#15 Old 07-20-2010, 12:38 PM
Veggie Regular

Sometimes I think people make these idiotic comparisons just to get us riled up. It's just as asinine as the whole "but plants feel pain" argument. Argh. It feels really simplistic to have to explain this, but here goes:

An omnivorous diet includes vegan foods like vegetables, fruits, grains, and legumes. Any omnivorous restaurant is going to have these foods not only on their menus but in their kitchens. It is no problem for a steakhouse to bring a vegan a salad and a baked potato or some steamed veggies, because they already have these foods stocked in their kitchen and they prepare them anyway on a daily basis.

Conversely, a vegan diet does not include meat of any kind, and a vegan restaurant's kitchen does not have meat in it. I mean, someone could ask for a steak at a vegan restaurant, but they aren't going to be able to accommodate the request as they don't have meat in their kitchen. Duh.

You could go to the trouble to explain this very simple logic to your friend, but I have a feeling he is just trying to get to you.

It is never rude to ask for what you want at a restaurant, as long as you do it politely. As the customer, you are the one paying for the food, shouldn't you get what you want?

www.veganspoonful.com
#16 Old 07-20-2010, 01:24 PM
Veggie Regular

I dont see what is rude about it. They are getting paid to make food for you. Like Semi Charmed said, its not like youre demanding food they don't have (well I hope not). I discovered recently that for all the years I've been ordering indian from the local place, they don't actually have the meal I order on the menu. I've never had anyone complain about it and always get what I order!

I dont get why so many people order something, then pick an ingredient out. why not just get a burger with no gherkins, or a pizza with no olives? Why pay for something you don't like - theyre making it anyway so it may as well be to your spec.
#17 Old 07-20-2010, 04:38 PM
Beginner

If anything, restaurants should be happy if we make special requests. If I order a chicken salad without the chicken, they get to keep the chicken! That's not rude at all.
#18 Old 07-20-2010, 04:40 PM
Veggie Regular

Yeah, I agree with SemiCharmed. Modifying a dish is totally fine and totally acceptable and I'm sure certain (nicer) restaurants even allow for more creative substitutions and combinations of items they already have. And if anything, sometimes these modifications are easier for the chef and obviously wouldn't cause them any trouble (i.e. leaving of cheese/dressing on a salad, no sour cream on top of a dish) since they're mostly extra steps anyway. I hope the OP's acquaintance never worked in the restaurant industry if he thinks that's rude...
#19 Old 07-20-2010, 06:02 PM
Beginner

I don't see why it should be an issue for the restaurant ... it's them who is losing the business, other possible customers, etc.
#20 Old 07-20-2010, 06:11 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cornflower' date='20 July 2010 - 03:38 PM' timestamp='1279654694' post='2676429 View Post

Sometimes I think people make these idiotic comparisons just to get us riled up. It's just as asinine as the whole "but plants feel pain" argument. Argh. It feels really simplistic to have to explain this, but here goes:

An omnivorous diet includes vegan foods like vegetables, fruits, grains, and legumes. Any omnivorous restaurant is going to have these foods not only on their menus but in their kitchens. It is no problem for a steakhouse to bring a vegan a salad and a baked potato or some steamed veggies, because they already have these foods stocked in their kitchen and they prepare them anyway on a daily basis.

Conversely, a vegan diet does not include meat of any kind, and a vegan restaurant's kitchen does not have meat in it. I mean, someone could ask for a steak at a vegan restaurant, but they aren't going to be able to accommodate the request as they don't have meat in their kitchen. Duh.

You could go to the trouble to explain this very simple logic to your friend, but I have a feeling he is just trying to get to you.

It is never rude to ask for what you want at a restaurant, as long as you do it politely. As the customer, you are the one paying for the food, shouldn't you get what you want?

Yeah, the answer to this is so simple and basic that I only see two options here:

a) The person who said this is trying to be clever but actually made them self look pretty stupid (just like the crowd who thinks it's funny to say cauliflower screams when you harvest it)

The person in question really IS that stupid.

Either way they don't exactly come out looking like gold

"If we could live happy and healthy lives without harming others... why wouldn't we?" - Edgars Mission
#21 Old 07-20-2010, 09:49 PM
Veggie Regular

I was told by an omni chef (who works at a restaurant that has absolutely nothing close to a vegan dish on the menu), that he loves it when he gets vegan orders...especially when the customer is pretty open to anything, as long as it's vegan. He said it's a challenge and it gets his creative juices flowing, and he gets to actually have fun with cooking. Cooks can get bored of cooking the same ol' same ol' that's on the menu.

if I were a chef at a vegan restaurant and he came up to order a steak there, my answer would be quite simply "I don't facilitate funerals!"...I might throw in a "you jackass" for good measure

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page