About washing dishes. - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 07-13-2010, 03:52 PM
Veggie Regular

I have a somewhat unusual problem(at least I hope it's not common). You see, I recently went vegan(less than a week ago), and with my odd housing situation(living with crazy assortment of extended family members), I have trouble keeping track of my kitchenware.

I use vegan soap to wash my cookware and dishes and stuff, but nobody else in the house does. Basically, if I leave my stuff in the kitchen, chances are that they will wash it, even when I tell them not to. I've of course also tried to wash my stuff immediately after using them, but but as luck would have it, I'll walk in the kitchen later to either find them draining, or sitting in the omni dish water(they'll use my stuff). I've tried keeping them in my room, but I just don't have much space. I'd freak out about it, but I don't think it would help, and I feel like I'm not in much of a position to complain.

So, it boils down to my question: It's still vegan if I were to wash my stuff with vegan soap AFTER they've tainted them, right? It makes me look like a crazy person, but it seems to be the only thing I can think of.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

"A-yup. Ya wasted yer life, son"

- Old Man
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 07-13-2010, 04:04 PM
Veggie Regular

I've got a practical philosophy. And I don't like to let labels define me. We should define the labels/actions that work for us, not the other way around. If it really bothers you, then re-wash the dishes. But don't let the label of vegan dictate a waste of soap to rewash them if it doesn't bother you. That's like two wrongs making a right. First the use of animal product, and then the waste and environmental impact of using cleaners twice.

That's my opinion.

Wheresoever you go, go with all your heart. -Confucius
#3 Old 07-13-2010, 04:17 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowcone' date='13 July 2010 - 05:52 PM' timestamp='1279057959' post='2673255 View Post

. Basically, if I leave my stuff in the kitchen, chances are that they will wash it, even when I tell them not to.

They can move in with me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 07-13-2010, 04:49 PM

In my opinion, the dishes were never "tainted" in the first place. They were washed. I'm about 100% certain that going through our daily lives we all use items that have a similar degree of being "tainted" by non-vegan means. So should we all just turn in our Vegan identity cards and stop living? No. We do whatever we can possible to avoid using animal products. So if dishes get washed by someone else with a non-vegan soap it really shouldn't be a problem. Just use your vegan soap later on after you've used the dishes.

Freaking out about it is 100% the wrong thing to do. Why? Well, every veg*n is an ambassador for veg*nism. It's our duty to show omnis that veg*nism works and especially that we're not the freaks that many of them think we are. Freaking out about what soap was used does not send a positive message about veg*nism at all. It says that this lifestyle is insanely restrictive and in most peoples' eyes more than likely not worth even looking into no matter what the benefits may be. Which of course is not the message any of us should be giving out to people.

"Empathy, he once decided, must be limited to herbivores or anyhow omnivores who could depart from a meat diet. Because, ultimately the empathic gift blurred the boundaries between hunter and victim, between the successful and the defeated." - Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?
#5 Old 07-13-2010, 05:16 PM
Veggie Regular

Hmm...I suppose I am acting like a crazy person. Thanks for the advice, folks. I tend to get paranoid about screwing things up when I feel they're important. My hands were starting to dry out, anyways.

- Old Man
#6 Old 07-14-2010, 01:24 PM
Veggie Regular

Also try stocking up on vegan soap so when they run out of their soap they'll just use the vegan soap that's there.

And I really love your avatar
#7 Old 07-14-2010, 05:52 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by nataliex1122' date='14 July 2010 - 12:24 PM' timestamp='1279135482' post='2673724 View Post

Also try stocking up on vegan soap so when they run out of their soap they'll just use the vegan soap that's there.

And I really love your avatar

They got a couple of those giant economy-sized detergent tubs the other day. That's a great idea though.

Somewhere out there, I'm sure snowcone cat is grateful for the compliment, as well!

- Old Man
#8 Old 07-14-2010, 09:27 PM
Veggie Regular

Does everyone in the house buy thier own separate cleaning products and each only uses thier own when they clean stuff? How bout suggesting that to save money you all chip in and buy the cleaning products together and share them and you offer to be the one that goes and gets them from the store? If that is feasable. That way you would be at least somewhat in control of what cleaning products are used.

As for me, I also live in a house full of omnis, but since we all have allergies to certain ingredients often used in cleaning products we all buy the good stuff. So I only feel it's really necessary to keep my cutting board and non-stick skillet separate from the rest.
#9 Old 07-14-2010, 10:35 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by phi' date='14 July 2010 - 07:59 PM' timestamp='1279151969' post='2673831 View Post

I pretty much agree with most of the responses, but here is another thought: Why wash your dishes with soap at all? It's not like you have factory farmed chicken carcasses or eggs or pasteurized milk in them. Most of the time, I just rinse out my dishes with water or let the food residue sit in them and become part of the next meal. That's how people used to live before they started using foods that become dangerous to our health when left out. I can already sense the facepalm-like ideas most of the people reading this post are probably getting, and I should ask you not to sue me if you should get the runs, but it can't hurt to look at the situation from a different angle for a moment, can it?

No facepalm here, but I did find myself scowling while reading your post, then had to smile, with how you ended it!

My brand new website for health coaching, and where all of my recipes will reside!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
previous food photography and portrait blog: www.creativeinspirationsphotography.blogspot.com

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1435413727
#10 Old 07-14-2010, 10:57 PM

I have so much to learn. They still put that stuff in dish soap?

I'm pretty picky about the bar soap I use but I never even thought about dish soap. D'oh! I'm not a vegan, but I try to minimize household items that are tested on or made from animals.
#11 Old 07-15-2010, 06:08 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by phi' date='14 July 2010 - 07:59 PM' timestamp='1279151969' post='2673831 View Post

I pretty much agree with most of the responses, but here is another thought: Why wash your dishes with soap at all? It's not like you have factory farmed chicken carcasses or eggs or pasteurized milk in them. Most of the time, I just rinse out my dishes with water or let the food residue sit in them and become part of the next meal. That's how people used to live before they started using foods that become dangerous to our health when left out. I can already sense the facepalm-like ideas most of the people reading this post are probably getting, and I should ask you not to sue me if you should get the runs, but it can't hurt to look at the situation from a different angle for a moment, can it?

Ewww!
#12 Old 07-15-2010, 11:43 AM
Veggie Regular

@cienerose - They usually all chip in, but I was a vegetarian 'til last friday, and I didn't think much of them getting two huge tubs of non-vegan detergent a few days prior to my switch(it was sorta out of the blue, though I was planning to eventually go vegan anyways). It's a good plan though; I'll have to keep that in mind if I'm still living here when they run out again.

@coffee - Yup, they put cadavers in everything these days. I'm sure there are a variety of vegan dish washing soaps available, but I just took the easy route by getting a gallon jug of Dr. Bronner's.

@phi - I...don't think I'll be doing that, thanks.

- Old Man
#13 Old 07-15-2010, 03:15 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Word.... Some of my dishes I just rinse and put back. But, that's just me and my kitchen (oh and no one's died or gotten sick yet)
#14 Old 07-18-2010, 03:58 AM

@phi I concur

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page