Ugh - an upcoming meal at a steakhouse...please help with food ideas! - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 07-09-2010, 07:52 PM
New Vegan

I only became vegan this last week...wow...actually it's been over a week now (it has been very easy!!). But, before I did, we had made plans to meet friends at a steakhouse next Friday when we are in the Boston area. It's a group thing that really can't be changed now, unfortunately. We are going to Hilltop Steakhouse in Saugus Ma. I'm absolutely disgusted (the very sad thing is...this was MY idea of a place to meet - plans were made over a month ago...well before I knew that I was going to be vegan!!!).

Their menu can be found here:

http://www.hilltopsteakhouse.com/res...17478943386bce

Ick.

I don't do salad (can't stomach lettuce). I know I can get baked potatoes (will bring my own vegan margarine...hubby already said that was fine when I asked him if that would be weird...and he's omni...what a sweetheart!).

I am also allergic to garlic, so that makes sautees a bit hard (it has to be one of the worst allergies for a vegan to have...sigh!). And onions too (basically any food with sulfur - cabbage, eggs (wich I do not eat anymore), onion, garlic, leek, etc).

If some of you wouldn't mind looking at the menu and offering suggestions, I would SO very much appreciate it!!

Thank you!

Crystal

~~~~~
I'm a very new Vegan...please be gentle
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I was a vegan before but did not have support from family but now I just do not care if I have support or not and am a vegan for life! But, since I'm standing my ground I have the support of my sweet husband, my mom and my best friend. Guess no one else really matters, right?
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 07-09-2010, 08:16 PM
Banned

Try ringing them , explain you are with a large group (they will see $) . Tell them your needs and see what they come up with .

If nothing, ask if you could bring your own dish .

I have always had amazing help from management/owners/chefs re my vegetarianism .
#3 Old 07-09-2010, 08:20 PM
Veggie Regular

You can always eat before you go, or when you get home, and just enjoy the company of your friends.

http://megatarian.blogspot.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 07-09-2010, 08:23 PM
New Vegan

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabid_child' date='09 July 2010 - 10:20 PM' timestamp='1278728450' post='2671534 View Post

You can always eat before you go, or when you get home, and just enjoy the company of your friends.

I wish I could do that...unfortunately we'll be in Boston for the day for a photo project and will be stopping on our way home to Maine, so that's really not feasible. I will, however, pack some vegan bars and fresh fruit, so I won't "starve". :-)

~~~~~

I was a vegan before but did not have support from family but now I just do not care if I have support or not and am a vegan for life! But, since I'm standing my ground I have the support of my sweet husband, my mom and my best friend. Guess no one else really matters, right?
#5 Old 07-09-2010, 08:24 PM

I agree with bluesand. Call in and ask what they can make for you. The following article might help too. I found it on the web a few days ago, so glad I'm getting to use it.

Don't Call Me Tofu! The Vegan Takes On the Steakhouse and wins!

Good luck!
#6 Old 07-09-2010, 08:24 PM
New Vegan

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesand' date='09 July 2010 - 10:16 PM' timestamp='1278728172' post='2671530 View Post

Try ringing them , explain you are with a large group (they will see $) . Tell them your needs and see what they come up with .

If nothing, ask if you could bring your own dish .

I have always had amazing help from management/owners/chefs re my vegetarianism .

I did email them and they told me to look at their menu online. Yea...real helpful. Sigh.

~~~~~

#7 Old 07-09-2010, 08:51 PM

That's not very helpful... Try calling them, and speaking to someone personally. You might even want to ask to speak directly with the chef. If they tell you to take a look at the online menu again, explain to them that you already did so and couldn't find anything that meets your personally needs along with your taste buds. I highly doubt they can turn you away. Their job is to satisfy you, and you shouldn't stop until they do.
#8 Old 07-09-2010, 08:52 PM
Veggie Regular

Call during non-busy hours and see if you can talk to a manager. Ask them if they've ever served vegans before, and if so what did they serve them?

Looking at that menu, they have things like potatoes, carrots, peppers, mushrooms, tomatoes, and french fries. They may or may not have other vegetables available. They also have cranberry sauce and apple sauce.

So you do have a couple of options. You could get a baked potato or plate of french fries, see if they could do you a saute (without onions or garlic - they at least have peppers and carrots and mushrooms) or even a plate of raw veg, minus the lettuce. You could get some apple or cranberry sauce for 'dessert'. Not the most exciting meal in the world, but at least there are options.

You could always stop at a Subway or something after if you're not satisfied with what you had at the restaurant. I think the most important thing is to go and have fun with your friends
#9 Old 07-09-2010, 08:59 PM

I feel your pain! This is a very non-veggie friendly menu!

I see some pasta dishes that might be adapted. Chicken and broccoli with penne pasta and alfredo sauce? Order that and tell them to hold the chicken and alfredo maybe??

Right below that I saw chicken parmagiana. Maybe you could order that (hold the chicken obviously) and instead you would have pasta with marinara sauce.

I was surprised not to see a "side items" section on the menu with vegetables. But a lot of the meat dishes seem to mention vegetables as one of the ingredients. So you know they have veggies there. You'll probably have to special order your own creation --- in my opinion, pasta with marinara sauce, maybe some bread on the side with olive oil for dipping instead of butter? Then you wouldn't have to bring your vegan margarine.

Good luck!
#10 Old 07-09-2010, 10:11 PM
Veggie Regular

I'm thinking pasta with veggies on it.

good luck!!!

Wheresoever you go, go with all your heart. -Confucius
#11 Old 07-09-2010, 10:42 PM
Veggie Regular

they may be able to make you a special meal. i once went to red lobster and had the most delicious specially prepared dish of mushroom rice, grilled veggies (the good veggies), baked potatoes cut into fancy shapes, and a salad. tmi i think. i second everyone's advice on calling them. you may be pleasantly surprised
#12 Old 07-10-2010, 04:57 AM
New Vegan

Thanks everyone! I will call them early next week since we will be going on Friday. I somehow missed the chicken parmesan on the menu so now know that at least noodles with sauce is an option. Great idea having cranberry sauce for dessert!!!

Thank you again...you all have released some of my anxiety!!

Crystal

~~~~~

#13 Old 07-10-2010, 06:55 AM
Veggie Regular

definitely call, when I was in boston we went to atlantic fish co for dinner, and i called ahead and they did everything perfect! I ordered a salad and the waitress took off the pecans (because they were coated with sugar and butter) and gave me dry walnuts instead, I didnt even have to think about asking about ingredients bc she had it covered! Higher end restaurants will tend to be pretty accommodating if you talk to the right people. I made sure to call back and give kudos too, so the next vegan could have similar treatment
#14 Old 07-10-2010, 03:28 PM
Veggie Regular

You'd have to ask about the noodles though... usually made with eggs, right?

You're gonna make me puke my pants.
#15 Old 07-10-2010, 03:41 PM
Veggie Regular

I believe that fresh pasta is made with eggs, but dried pasta generally doesn't contain eggs. I'm guessing that they use dried pasta.

I would check that they don't use meat broth in the marinara sauce or cook the veggies in butter.
#16 Old 07-10-2010, 03:51 PM
Veggie Regular

Yep I agree to call and check and see if the pasta and the sauce are vegan. Some places also add parm cheese to their sauces. Personally I'd go for the baked potato with steamed veggies on top or see if they have some type of plain rice (no broth) and veggies. You can always add olive oil, or the marinara (if vegan) or salad dressing to it all. If the buns are vegan there's the option of a "potato sandwich" or mushroom "burger" maybe with bbq sauce?
#17 Old 07-11-2010, 06:05 AM
New Vegan

Thanks again everyone - I hadn't thought of eggs in noodles...I will definitely check on that. I plan to call tomorrow during a non-busy time and speak directly with the chef!

:-)

~~~~~

#18 Old 07-11-2010, 06:19 AM
Veggie Regular

As long as it isn't egg pasta of course...
#19 Old 07-11-2010, 06:20 AM
Veggie Regular

ooops... that'll teach me to notice there's a page two! lol x
#20 Old 07-11-2010, 06:53 AM
Veggie Regular

I would definitely call and check but I would be surprised if this particular restaurant actually made their pasta fresh, especially the penne. Hopefully they'll be more than willing to accommodate you with a a veggie pasta dish and a side salad.

Support your right to arm bears. ~Cleveland Amory
#21 Old 07-12-2010, 01:54 AM
Veggie Regular

Yeah definitely call cause like others mentioned, the pastas or the sauces might not be vegan. Would suck to show up and find that out. But worst case, even if the red sauces are not vegan, you could ask for like veggies sauted in oil or steamed and tossed with pasta (if the pasta is vegan of course) and if they can do that with tomatoes then it'd be similar to pasta and sauce anyway. Or you could ask if they can make you a dish rather than having to settle with pasta tossed with veggies. I hate for paying for stuff like that cause it always seems so overpriced. Good luck and let us know what happens!

As long as there are slaughterhouses there will be battlefields. - Leo Tolstoy
My blog -
#22 Old 07-12-2010, 09:34 PM
New Vegan

Okay - here I was SO stressed and worried about it and one of the other people decided to not come to Boston and the other is not meeting us. Going to be just hubby & I now...so we quite obviously will not be visiting a steak house!!

Thanks for all the advice - I'm filing it away for "next time" (if there is a next time!)!

~~~~~

#23 Old 07-13-2010, 10:29 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by EclecticRebel' date='12 July 2010 - 11:34 PM' timestamp='1278992099' post='2672889 View Post

Okay - here I was SO stressed and worried about it and one of the other people decided to not come to Boston and the other is not meeting us. Going to be just hubby & I now...so we quite obviously will not be visiting a steak house!!

Thanks for all the advice - I'm filing it away for "next time" (if there is a next time!)!

Well that all worked out! Now you can go out to a vegan friendly place Hope you have a nice trip.
#24 Old 07-13-2010, 10:39 AM
New Vegan

Quote:
Originally Posted by fadeaway1289' date='13 July 2010 - 12:29 PM' timestamp='1279038567' post='2673108 View Post

Well that all worked out! Now you can go out to a vegan friendly place Hope you have a nice trip.

Thank you! I am going to research places in and around Boston to go for dinner & lunch - we have 2 dinners and 2 lunches. Breakfast on Friday is included in the hotel rate (they have oatmeal, fresh fruit, etc - I do need to call about soy/almond milk though).

~~~~~

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page