Vegan Traveling Kit - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 06-21-2010, 09:06 AM

What do you have in your vegan traveling kit?

Do you have any tips on dining while traveling?

Anything else you want to say
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 06-21-2010, 10:33 AM
Banned

I can't think of anything a vegan would want to carry around that's different than what anybody else would carry around while travelling.

All I need is this: http://www.happycow.net/
#3 Old 06-21-2010, 10:45 AM
Veggie Regular

I didn't know we were supposed to get a vegan travelling kit!

I keep an assortment of nuts around me at all times (and yes, I appreciate that that statement can be interpreted in a few ways, before it's pointed out to me!) if you are talking about carrying around food.

If you know where you're going, it's pretty easy to research - the Happy Cow is a great site, and there are plenty of other places online with relevant information too - most restaurants these days have online menus. So a little planning in advance would be useful.

Happy travelling!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 06-21-2010, 11:16 AM

I always take trail mix and some kind of vegan power bar with me every time I travel, just in case I can't find something to eat or if the places I had planned on end up being closed.
#5 Old 06-21-2010, 01:56 PM
Veggie Regular

Food-wise, I like to bring along some Luna/protein-type bars, nuts/dried fruit, and maybe some of those juice box cartons of soymilk. I also like to print off a list of all the veg-friendly places in the cities I'm visiting.
#6 Old 06-21-2010, 07:15 PM

I'm actually on vacation right now and knew I'd be going to a small town with limited food choices. I packed vegan snacks (roast chickpeas, vegan donuts, dried fruit and tons of kombucha tea). But I also brought some of my staples (mixed nuts, multi-grain dry hot cereal mix). Before we left I looked up the town on Happy Cow and made a list of places to check out.

The only part which was difficult was that my husband wanted to go to a nice restaurant (not a cafe) for our anniversary dinner and it was tough to find a good romantic place that has a selection for me. It ended up being fine though.

PS. I also don't rely on any shower products that might be available at the hotel. I bring my own.
#7 Old 06-21-2010, 10:27 PM
Veggie Regular

Depends where I'm going. If it's a large city, I simply find vegan restaurants and use a grocery store. Of it's a small town or camping, I bring some easy boxed foods like Tasty Bite or camp food that you just add water along with a picnic set.
#8 Old 06-22-2010, 03:58 AM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by angie54321' date='21 June 2010 - 05:45 PM' timestamp='1277138714' post='2662374 View Post

I keep an assortment of nuts around me at all times

Hah, nuts, like-

Quote:
Originally Posted by angie54321' date='21 June 2010 - 05:45 PM' timestamp='1277138714' post='2662374 View Post

(and yes, I appreciate that that statement can be interpreted in a few ways, before it's pointed out to me!)

Oh.

http://dietarypacifism.com/

recipes and thoughts on veganism and religion
#9 Old 06-22-2010, 02:49 PM
Veggie Regular

I went on a week-long trip recently and brought a lot of my own food. I threw a bunch of apples and underripe bananas in a cooler, which lasted the whole week and didn't spoil, along with a variety of nuts, lara bars and clif bars, and some non-refrigerated almond milk. I don't like being caught without food! I also bring my own personal hygiene stuff
#10 Old 06-22-2010, 07:12 PM

The Vegan Society has a Vegan passport which describes what vegans can and can't eat in many different languages. I haven't bought it yet but it's something I'd purchase if I was traveling more often. Here's the website if you're interested. Also I agree with bringing your own shampoo, conditioner, soap, toothpaste, etc. to ensure you're using vegan products.
#11 Old 06-23-2010, 03:53 AM
Veggie Regular

depends what youre doing? I just packed fruits and veggies for a long car ride and stopped at rest stops along the way or munched on what was a handleable food.... i personally don't really like those bars and not eating preprocessed stuff kept my sodium low so maybe thats why my legs didnt swell as bad? usually after 10 hours driving my legs are a disaster, but I just finished 34 hours and I ran 10 miles the next day!
#12 Old 06-23-2010, 03:40 PM
Veggie Regular

I'm staying at the Savannah Collge of Art and Design for an art program for a week in July. I'm packing Larabars, those little boxes of soymilk, trail mix, dried fruit, dark chocolate. I'm not sure what will be available on campus, I hope I don't have to go scavanging in town during my free time though.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page