What to say? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 05-26-2010, 04:40 PM

Anybody else find themselves in awkward situations when omni friends shove dairy products in your face?

They often confuse veganism with vegetarianism. I don't have an issue with it, considering it's not something that affects their lives, but it's tough. Especially when everyone wants to go out for ice cream.

Does being a vegan make anyone else feel rude? I'm always decling the offer for food because it's usually non-vegan. I mean, I always smile and say "thanks anyway".

I'm a pretty new vegan, I guess it just takes time getting used to?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 05-26-2010, 07:33 PM
Super Moderator

There are times I feel awkward, mostly because someone is sure to remind me that I've gone too far. Once they're by themselves of course, they hate it when anyone sticks up for me!

I say I don't use *whatever* because I don't believe in it, and if I were to use it I wouldn't be living my beliefs. I remind them of how much real, whole food, is perfect without using animal products. Rice Dream, and other frozen desserts, are just as good as ice cream. If they say it's expensive, I remind them it's a treat!

When it comes to pizza, I tell them it took a couple of months to loose the craving for cheese, but now I don't miss it, and found Daiya, which is good now and then. I'm sure to mention how much improved my sinuses are, and lack of headaches.

I think I worried about being rude a lot in the beginning. Now it's so much a part of me I no longer flinch. Well, I do when it comes to asking about things like ingrediants of items. That still bugs me.

Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good
#3 Old 05-26-2010, 08:13 PM
Veggie Regular

A simple "no thank you" should work. If you don't feel like explaining yourself, you don't have to.

Wheresoever you go, go with all your heart. -Confucius
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 05-26-2010, 08:19 PM
Veggie Regular

I agree about being or feeling rude when refusing food. I am slowly morphing my way into veganism and that is one of my concerns. At least the fact that I am also trying to lose weight means that I can use that as my excuse for turning down cake, ice cream, etc.

Laura
#5 Old 05-26-2010, 08:26 PM
Veggie Regular

Well, you just politely decline over and over. I promise you it won't be long before they accept that you've made a serious change, and you are doing it exactly right. You'll be delighted the first time they say, "let's go for ice cream, no wait, let's go to Starbucks so that __________ can get a vegan frap and we can get a regular with whipped." First they will get used to the idea, then they will accommodate you, then they will stand up for you. That's what friends do.
#6 Old 05-26-2010, 09:33 PM
Veggie Regular

I agree with the above. I have a few friends that at the beginning were kinda like "what do you mean you don't eat meat?!?!" and now that they realize that I'm keeping up, they seem to respect it more. It takes some time, but they will get used to it.

As far as ice cream goes you could find a couple parlors that may have sorbet as an option? They're quite tasty. It's also relatively easy to make homemade gelato and sorbet, even without an ice cream maker. You could wow them with some great fruity and even creamy chocolatey flavors too!
#7 Old 05-27-2010, 04:41 AM

Thanks!

I really appreciate all of this.

Yeah, I guess it would definitely take some time getting used to, and I'll wait it out =]
#8 Old 05-27-2010, 08:30 AM
Veggie Regular

I would stay away from or limit my time with anyone who shoved food in my face. That sounds hostile. If it was just "hey, want cheese on your veggie burger?" I'd say "no thanks."
#9 Old 05-27-2010, 10:56 AM
Veggie Regular

I second the sorbet suggestion. I just had some blood orange sorbet the other day, and all my friends thought that sounded and looked delicious and they all went with it as well....even though there was a plethora of gelato options. They couldn't believe how creamy it tasted. They were convinced it had dairy in it...but if you have good sorbet, it's suppose to be THAT good. The bad sorbet's bought from grocery stores taste like shaved ice!! But good sorbets are whipped and taste Mmmm
#10 Old 05-27-2010, 11:01 AM
Veggie Regular

I just say "no thank you, I don't eat dairy" and that's usually ok. Sorbet is great!

Atame.
#11 Old 05-27-2010, 05:30 PM

i don't think i've had sorbet since i was little!

good ideas, thanks =]
#12 Old 05-27-2010, 05:46 PM

Sorbet is tasty! I hadn't had it in ages either but I've had it a few times since becoming vegan.

With other things, like when I'm specifically offered something I know I can't eat, I just say no thank you. If they press the issue, I say "Thanks, but I don't eat [insert problem ingredient here]." I don't think of it as rude at all. Think about it from the other side. Have you ever been offended when you offered someone some of your food and they politely declined? I certainly haven't! Most people really don't care. If they want to discuss my reasoning then I'm more than happy to do that, but typically it doesn't go that far.
#13 Old 05-27-2010, 06:41 PM

It definately takes time to get used to it. I'm learning to just put one foot in front of the other, stay true to my convictions and just politely say no. Luckily there are so many non-dairy options that it isn't hard at all.
#14 Old 05-28-2010, 10:00 AM
Super Moderator

Awards banquet are really tough! My sons band banquet was last night, and not only did the whole room reek of fried chicken, but it was over an hour before we got to the line. It seemed everything had meat and/or dairy. If it weren't for a couple girls that were shaky on staying vegetarian, and appreciated that I brought a vegan pasta florentine, I might of lost it! I went through the line with everyone, got what I brought, and plain salad.

I don't think I ever felt that way. I was horrified, like I was looking at human body parts. I could feel the distress-look coming to my eyes, and had to try and get involved in conversation hoping to shake it. Someone asked me if I was okay, I said I had a headache.

I think I'll avoid banquets from now on.

Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good
#15 Old 05-31-2010, 04:53 AM

annette, what sort of things do they have at dairy queen that are vegan?
#16 Old 05-31-2010, 07:24 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annette Parkes View Post

Sorbet, shaved ice, and gelato are often vegan options at ice cream places. ...

gelato is never vegan, unless it specifically says it's vegan gelato!!! gelato is made with eggs and cream! Never ever assume gelato is vegan!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page