Vegan Package Exchange - The Results! - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 05-12-2010, 01:04 PM
Banned

I know I know 'its too early' you shout. But I'm off on holiday and starting a new job so won't be online for quite awhile. I begged IamJen to allow me to start this thread early as my sender sent such an amazing package I didn't want to wait for weeks after the 15th to say 'thanks!'

My package came all the way from Japan!

I cannot express enough how awesome this package is how much I appreciate the work that went into it.

the packages were all in Japanese so Veggily put numbered stickers on everything and documented exactly what they were and the sell by date. She also included recipes and ideas on how to use the items. I'm making my own dashi!

I've now got curry salt, matcha salt, mirin, different soy sauces, 3 different miso pastes, cherry blossom tea, green tea (proper!), konbu, wakame, dried gluten, dried tofu, cooking sake, a little strainer for noodles, a really cool wind chime and my favourite: Veggily handmade an awesome little bookmark that I now use in my recipe books!

I am really over the moon. thank you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 05-12-2010, 01:26 PM

That looks lovely Mr Falafel.
#3 Old 05-12-2010, 01:31 PM
Veggie Regular

What an amazing package! The recipes was an awesome idea, you'll have to keep us updated when you try some of them out!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 05-12-2010, 01:56 PM
Veggie Regular

I agree with Addie!

Did you write the book of love, and do you have faith in God above,
If the Bible tells you so? Do you believe in rock Ân roll,
Can music save your mortal soul, And can you teach me how to dance real slow?
#5 Old 05-12-2010, 02:27 PM
Veggie Regular

Wow what an amazing package!!! I can't wait till I've been on this board long enough to join in :-)
#6 Old 05-13-2010, 10:28 AM
Veggie Regular

So, [strike]somewhere[/strike] ... [strike]in Australia[/strike] ... [strike]in outer space[/strike] ... [strike]in a parallel universe[/strike]... in the FUTURE, it's the 15th!

Oh, shush. I opened my package early, and I figure since the results thread got kicked off early, I wouldn't be TOTALLY shunned for posting. Plus I have to work ninety billion hours this weekend and this is the only good time I'm going to have to compose a long post!

*insert further rationalization*

Have we all agreed it's okay for me to post? Okay, good. Then, without further ado...

HUGE thanks to Desert-Dweller!

What an amazing exchange partner I had. This is my second exchange and I have been incredibly, incredibly lucky both times. Anyway, onto what I know you're all waiting to see! MY BOOTY. (See what I did there?)

Pictured:
  • Two cute stripey bags that held the goods
  • 2 Primal Strips - Mesquite Lime and Thai Peanut
  • Pineapple Cocoa Butter vegetable soap
  • A mini vase from Navajo Nation
  • Jalapeño chips
  • Jasmine whole leaf organic green tea
  • "Hoppin' Habanero" pistachios
  • Mexican Lime Olive Oil
  • Rio Verde Tomatillo Salsa
  • Sweet Greens (grass to grow for the kitties!)
  • Bag clips and a measuring spoon
  • Prickly Pear Cactus Jelly
  • Lemongrass and coriander soy tea light candles
  • Tea light holder
  • Tea mug and an adorable chili pepper tea strainer
  • Organic dark chocolate with cherries
  • Magnetic message pads

Not Pictured:
  • Cat toys...

(I had to tear them open and toss them at the cats before I got everything set with the picture, because they were going to wage war with the bubble wrap if I didn't distract them!)

I am SO SO SO happy! This was simply a perfect box of treats. Desert-Dweller thought of everything, too. I saw the tea and the mug and thought "Oh, time to dig out my tea strainer... Where the crap did I pack that thing when I moved?" and then, a second later? A find a tea strainer in the box!

And, man, the lemongrass and coriander candles smell indescribably good. I keep sniffing them like they're crack on a hooker's... Well, *ahem*, in short - they smell REALLY good. I'm almost sad they aren't food. I might lick on anyway. Just to see.

And the Primal strips - I've been meaning to try them forever. I finally found a store that carries them, but I haven't worked up the courage yet. And my store doesn't have these kinds. I literally would have chosen these exact flavors if I were given the choice of every kind they make.

And yummy salsa! YAY! Yummy salsa without cilantro! DOUBLE YAY!

A few lucky guesses as well - like, okay, the measuring spoon for example. For one thing, I'm obsessed with kitchen things. OBSESSED. And another? My roommate had an unfortunate incident with our measuring spoons and her garbage disposal the other day. Perfect timing.

Also... I love spicy foods, and pistachios make me nostalgic. They were my dad's favorite snack when I was growing up. So spicy pistachios? Rock the hell on!

And the sweet grass for the cats! AWESOME! You should see what these little devils do our bamboo! I mean, I know bamboo is non-toxic to cats, but it's SO ugly now. I'll just show you, how about that?

So now they will have their own plant-snacks and won't have to demolish our houseplants!

(I realize this is getting lengthy and could go on for a much longer time, but I'll spare you all my incredible glee. Lunch can wait too; there is chocolate to be eaten!)

Thank you again, Desert-Dweller. SO much. You knocked this one completely outta the park.
#7 Old 05-13-2010, 01:02 PM
Veggie Regular

Everyone's packages look so awesome!

Until one has loved an animal, part of their soul remains unawakened.

#8 Old 05-13-2010, 02:04 PM
Veggie Regular

Is it normal for me to feel bad for sending less than those who has posted in this thread?

"Hell exists not to punish sinners, but to ensure that nobody sins in the first place."
#9 Old 05-13-2010, 02:14 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Envy View Post

Is it normal for me to feel bad for sending less than those who has posted in this thread?

You shouldn't feel bad at all. There are AWESOME boxes that have just a single item in them! I know during the Christmas exchange, someone (Vegan Tigress, I think?) sent her partner a really cool tote bag. It was made by women who were formerly forced to be prostitutes in India, I believe. And a foundation helps them work for fair wages, etc. And one of the things they do is make tote bags. It was a single item, and it was great!
#10 Old 05-13-2010, 02:18 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Of course not, silly. I've learned to shop for these things throughout the year. If I find something cool that's on sale, I pick it up and store it away for the next exchange. It's a good way to get more for your money.

The fun part is just knowing that someone took the time to fix up a box of treats just for you.
#11 Old 05-13-2010, 02:41 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by sallyomally View Post

Of course not, silly. I've learned to shop for these things throughout the year. If I find something cool that's on sale, I pick it up and store it away for the next exchange. It's a good way to get more for your money.

The fun part is just knowing that someone took the time to fix up a box of treats just for you.

Yep. To me, it's sort of like going to a restaurant with a friend. The actual food is mostly beside the point - you're in it for the pleasure of the friend's company, the conversation, the nice feeling of not having to do any cooking or cleaning up.

For this, knowing someone spent their time and energy on you, a relative stranger? That's the the incredibly cool part for me, and I think most everyone who takes part! Hell, when I got my first box in the exchange, I was over the moon before I'd even opened it just because nontoxicglue had spent time drawing all over the box. It was so cute! And it meant a lot to me this time around that Desert-Dweller picked out favorite items of hers, and ones that are locally made, and told me in her letter how she discovered some of the items.
#12 Old 05-13-2010, 02:52 PM
Veggie Regular

Well, I should probably do that 'til next time, since I wait until about a week before sending time with shopping and that makes me kinda non-picky and unimaginative with what I buy.

"Hell exists not to punish sinners, but to ensure that nobody sins in the first place."
#13 Old 05-13-2010, 06:19 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Don't worry, I didn't send a lot either.

I got my package today, when I'm not at the front desk at work, I'll post pictures (I have to do it while I'm here, my laptop crapped out). I love it!

#14 Old 05-13-2010, 06:58 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Semicharmed View Post

And, man, the lemongrass and coriander candles smell indescribably good. I keep sniffing them like they're crack on a hooker's... Well, *ahem*, in short - they smell REALLY good. I'm almost sad they aren't food. I might lick on anyway. Just to see.

A few lucky guesses as well - like, okay, the measuring spoon for example. For one thing, I'm obsessed with kitchen things. OBSESSED.

Thank you again, Desert-Dweller. SO much. You knocked this one completely outta the park.

I am so glad you like everything! I check out my exchange recipients posts and you are always so descriptive it was easy to pick out things you would hopefully like. I remember a post you made one time about your obsession with kitchen gadgets so that was easy...

As for the candles? They are soy so maybe edible but might not taste too good...

I am so thrilled that the ball went over the green monster.... It was a pleasure picking out items for you. Enjoy!
#15 Old 05-13-2010, 07:20 PM
Veggie Regular

Well, I took a bunch of pictures, and then realized that it wasn't going to work. I'll take a large picture of everything when I get home.

I got:

-Vegan Texas BBQ Jerky

-Seitan Jerky (not too bad, and I've never had it before)

-Boston Cookie (chocolate chip)

-Mighty Maple and White Chocolate Wonderful peanut butter from PB & Co (WONDERFUL stuff by the way-definitely worth ordering online)

-Ricemellow Creme

-Tofurkey Peppered Jurky

-Tofurkey Original Jurky

-Sour Patch Kids and Sweedish Fish

-Clementine Bookplates

-Classic Gummi Bears (organic candy)

-Pizza crust and sauce mix

-Forbidden Black Rice (Can I cook that in a rice cooker?)

-Black Quinoa (Never heard of it before)

-Tea Cup with a built in strainer (I'm assuming that's what it is?)

Semicharmed, you've simply outdone yourself, THANK YOU. I was having a crappy day until this showed up.
LL
LL
LL

#16 Old 05-14-2010, 02:21 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

No. I didn't send very much to my recipient, because 1--I'm unemployed and had very little money to spend (believe me, the cap on spending is great) and 2--my recipient is highly allergic to cats, which I have one of. I had to go straight from store to post office without stopping at home. I don't like to mess with other people's allergies.

Anytime I think I'm perfect, I remember that my cousin lives on an island, and I've never walked over to visit her.
#17 Old 05-14-2010, 05:06 AM
Veggie Regular

MrFalafel, you TOTALLY made my day! Thank you. I was all excited until the moment I sent it, and then those pesky, "What if he doesn't like it?" doubts sprinkled through my thoughts. Now I'm feeling waaay good.

Midnight Angel, are you sure there's not a little note on that cookie saying "Forward this to Veggily in Japan?" I'm sure I can see it in the photo...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purp View Post

I had to go straight from store to post office without stopping at home. I don't like to mess with other people's allergies.

Wow, that was really thoughtful!

Now, I'm going to get my pics together so I can share my cool treasures... I'm one happy girl.

"Somewhere along the way, someone is going to tell you, 'There is no "I" in team.' What you should tell them is, 'Maybe not. But there is an "I" in independence, individuality and integrity." Â George Carlin
#18 Old 05-14-2010, 05:57 AM
Veggie Regular

It's almost the 15th here. Just a few more hours... I was planning to wait to open mine, but the box was just SITTING there, watching me watch it, for a WHOLE DAY. And then I started thinking stuff like, "Hey, I could get hit by a car tomorrow, and then I wouldn't be able to enjoy opening it." So I decided to just open the box, not use anything yet, and leave the sender a mystery. Oh, what fun it was to open the box! But then there was something so amazing inside that I had to use it IMMEDIATELY, before someone else in the house could make it disappear.

The card watched me watch it for a whole day, and I figured, "Oh, what the heck" and thought of the car thing again. So I opened it. THANK YOU, ADDIEB!!! I love, love, love my box! A big bag of those elusive flax seeds (I may need to buy new clothes soon with all the baking I have planned), lots of new bars and cookies to try - YUM - a scented bar of soap, which I can't wait to use. Chocolate bars...what more can I say? The sewing buttons are SO COOL. I'm going to have fun with those. And then, that most incredible treasure, the never before seen (by me) chocolate peanut butter. Ohhhhhhhh, that is some kind of heaven. I had no idea what I was missing. You hit me spot on.

"Somewhere along the way, someone is going to tell you, 'There is no "I" in team.' What you should tell them is, 'Maybe not. But there is an "I" in independence, individuality and integrity." Â George Carlin
#19 Old 05-14-2010, 08:11 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnight Angel View Post

Semicharmed, you've simply outdone yourself, THANK YOU. I was having a crappy day until this showed up.

YAY! I'm SO happy you like it! I wanted to find the spicy peanut butter but it was no where to be found. I do LOVE their peanut butters, though. Mmmm, YUM! I'm so happy you liked it!

And yes, the mug has it's own strainer attachment for, well, whatever. I supposed you could put a tea bag right in there (especially the ones with no string) but I think you can also use whole leaf tea in there too. YAY FOR TEA!
#20 Old 05-15-2010, 06:58 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veggily View Post

It's almost the 15th here. Just a few more hours... I was planning to wait to open mine, but the box was just SITTING there, watching me watch it, for a WHOLE DAY. And then I started thinking stuff like, "Hey, I could get hit by a car tomorrow, and then I wouldn't be able to enjoy opening it." So I decided to just open the box, not use anything yet, and leave the sender a mystery. Oh, what fun it was to open the box! But then there was something so amazing inside that I had to use it IMMEDIATELY, before someone else in the house could make it disappear.

The card watched me watch it for a whole day, and I figured, "Oh, what the heck" and thought of the car thing again. So I opened it. THANK YOU, ADDIEB!!! I love, love, love my box! A big bag of those elusive flax seeds (I may need to buy new clothes soon with all the baking I have planned), lots of new bars and cookies to try - YUM - a scented bar of soap, which I can't wait to use. Chocolate bars...what more can I say? The sewing buttons are SO COOL. I'm going to have fun with those. And then, that most incredible treasure, the never before seen (by me) chocolate peanut butter. Ohhhhhhhh, that is some kind of heaven. I had no idea what I was missing. You hit me spot on.

I'm so glad you liked everything!! I was a little worried!! I had so much fun shopping for you, it really made my day today that you enjoyed the package!!
#21 Old 05-15-2010, 07:08 AM
Veggie Regular

Last week I got a package from IamJen, which I opened immediately! It was awesome! My husband and I have been enjoying all of the candies that were sent. My husband especially liked the chocolates and I've been enjoying all of the gummies. Also, those Chunkie's jerkies were super, super yummy! I'm amazed how everything is labeled as suitable for vegetarians and vegans!

And speaking of the labeling, Jen actually gave me a heads up that she was my exchange buddy a few days before I got the package. She was a little concerned because, as she said, "There's one thing in their that's a little bit weird, that you can feel free not to include in your photo, etc. if you'd like. I love that so much stuff at regular old shops here is labeled as "suitable for vegans", that I had to buy a couple of things just to show off."

After seeing what she sent, how could I not include a photo!

Thanks again Jen, I enjoyed everything that was sent!!
#22 Old 05-15-2010, 01:40 PM
Veggie Regular

My sender was Idhreneth, all the way from North Wales! I adored everything I received!

- 6 Nakd raw energy bars (2 apple pie, 2 cocoa loco, and 2 berry cherry). The apple pie ones are gone already

- A package of Earl Grey loose leaf tea, just in time, because I ran out of my last package a few weeks ago and kept forgetting to get more!

- A package of Yorkshire tea. I've never tried this before, so I'm looking forward to it.

- A variety pack of Starbursts!! These are half gone already LOL. I love the sour ones. I haven't had Starbursts in so long!

- A package of vegan strawberry jello.

- A package of oatcakes with laverbread, a Welsh specialty! These are very interesting, I've never tasted anything like it. I love the nori flecks mixed in!

- FOUR bags of Whizzers chocolate beans!!! I'm so glad you found some! I love them so much!

- Fragrance-free facial wipes. They remove makeup, clean your face, and moisturize at the same time!

- Two self-heating apricot-peach-mango smoothie face masks. I can't wait to try these

- A bottle of Simple face mask cream

- A bottle of Optimum 1-Minute Manicure. I've heard of this before but I don't think you can buy it here!

- A bottle of Optimum 3-in-1 hand, nail and cuticle cream, for use after the 1-Minute Manicure.

Thank you so much Idhreneth! I love everything!
#23 Old 05-15-2010, 01:48 PM
Banned

Glad you like it Abbey! Sorry about my handwriting on the letters, I hope you could read it .

I'll post pictures of my package tomorrow, I'm about to go out now...
#24 Old 05-15-2010, 01:49 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Semicharmed View Post

YAY! I'm SO happy you like it! I wanted to find the spicy peanut butter but it was no where to be found. I do LOVE their peanut butters, though. Mmmm, YUM! I'm so happy you liked it!

And yes, the mug has it's own strainer attachment for, well, whatever. I supposed you could put a tea bag right in there (especially the ones with no string) but I think you can also use whole leaf tea in there too. YAY FOR TEA!

I agree, yay for tea! I'm also still playing with the bubble wrap.

Okay, here's a picture of everything:
LL

#25 Old 05-15-2010, 05:06 PM
HNV
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchvegan View Post

Wow what an amazing package!!! I can't wait till I've been on this board long enough to join in :-)

Me too!

The worst sin toward our fellow creatures is not to hate them, but to be indifferent to them. That is the essence of humanity.
#26 Old 05-15-2010, 09:16 PM
Veggie Regular

Try not to be jealous of the amazing awesomeness belonging to me, thanks to my sender, Mr. Falafel!

My goodies came by two shipments:

*Welsh brew tea

*Uncle Joe's mints

*mushy peas (traditionally served with fish n chips,thanks for the recipe for the vegan version)

*veggie sausage mix

*falafel mix

*marmite ! (the real thing)

*tawny marmalade

*hot and spicy Bombay snack mix ( yeah baby!)

*Coleman's English mustard

*Kohinoor-Amiritsari Cholle ( a heat and eat version of a traditional Indian curry dish)

* beautifully fragrant sandalwood soap

* tofu skins

* "beef" curry spice mix

* Sri Lankan red dahl mix

I wish there was a way for everyone to smell the amazing aromas of these beautiful spices, which came all the way from spice plantation in India ( I know! How cool is that?) ! They are:

top: nutmeg shavings

right:fenugreek

bottom: coriander seeds

left: cardamom pods

I am absolutely blown away by these treasures coming all the way from Wales and India. I had marmite on toast spread on top of a little Tofutti cream tcheese and a cup of Welsh tea as soon as I opened the first box. It was very tasty. The snack mix and mint candies were next to disappear. Next was the tawny marmalade on toast for breakfast with more Welsh tea, followed by a bit of English mustard mixed into mashed potatoes, as Mr. F. suggested (so good).The veggie sausage mix was the best I've tasted. I made it with mashed potatoes Imagine, me, a little old country girl from Texas having bangers and mash!Holy cow, was it good! I could not believe the flavor of this stuff!

I am trying to be good and save the rest for a big graduation dinner for my nieces, (who are vegan).We're going to add some more goodies and have a feast!

Mr. Falfel, thank you so much. It's obvious that a lot of time and thought went into what you put together. It has been so much fun to try new things. Thanks also for the post card and the information about your town with the castle . It's easy to see why you love it there.
#27 Old 05-16-2010, 12:56 PM
Veggie Regular

HEY! WHERE IS EVERYBODY? This thread is usually jammin' by now! Pics! We want to see pics!
#28 Old 05-16-2010, 01:16 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

HEY! WHERE IS EVERYBODY? This thread is usually jammin' by now! Pics! We want to see pics!

Seconded!

Your haul looks awesome, sallyomally! I bet those spices smell outstanding... I have garam masala in my cupboard and I keep opening it for no reason just to get a whiff of the spice.
#29 Old 05-16-2010, 01:22 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

The package I sent is still in transit . They said it would be there by last Friday at the latest
#30 Old 05-16-2010, 05:27 PM
Veggie Regular

Semi, I keep opening the plastic bags the spices came in. They smell so good. I used some of the coriander seeds today in a Greek lentil pilaf.

Abbey. I bet it will arrive tomorrow. Hang in there!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page