gone crazy at Whole Foods Market - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 05-11-2010, 10:33 PM
Veggie Regular

So last week I posted how excited I was to visit my very first Whole Foods, then the flight got cancelled due to strong winds! Egads!

Well, I finally made it to the US of A, and made it to a Whole Foods Market, and went a bit...just a tad...okay more than a tad...extremely crazy over everything! Wowsers! I actually had to go around and put stuff back on shelves, because I had a 25 lbs limit that I could bring on the seaplane, and It was starting to look a bit heavy The final weight of all my stuff came to be 22.5 lbs!!

One of the things I didn't buy that I wanted to, but they didn't have it, was smarties...as I was told the US version is vegan. Oh well...no biggie. I got some nice Newman's Own dark chocolates that I had never seen before.

Oh...and Mighty O's donuts are to die for! Maybe it's just that I haven't had donuts in a while....but seriously, they are the best donuts I have ever ever EVER had!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 05-12-2010, 03:06 AM
Banned

#3 Old 05-12-2010, 05:43 AM
Veggie Regular

Yay! I'm glad you finally got to go. Sounds like you got some great things. Sorry about the smarties but now you know what to grab first on your next trip
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 05-12-2010, 06:40 AM
Veggie Regular

I have yet to go to a whole foods, since there aren't any around here But, that sounds like you had an awesome time!
#5 Old 05-12-2010, 07:22 AM
Veggie Regular

Okay, you MIGHT be confused about smarties. I'm not sure what country you are in, but in Canada Smarties are little chocolate things that resemble M&M's. In the US, smarties are what we call up here Rocket Candies and in fact aren't chocolate at all..

you might already be aware of this, but thought id check just to be sure.
#6 Old 05-12-2010, 10:07 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by evan_fabiani View Post

Okay, you MIGHT be confused about smarties. I'm not sure what country you are in, but in Canada Smarties are little chocolate things that resemble M&M's. In the US, smarties are what we call up here Rocket Candies and in fact aren't chocolate at all..

you might already be aware of this, but thought id check just to be sure.

No....I didn't know that at all! Thanks for clarifying. I am in Canada. I would have totally grabbed the M&M wannabie smarties!

I read that smarties (US version only) are vegan on some PETA website a while ago, and for some reason it stuck in my head. I know they aren't great chocolate or anything...but I love the little coloured candy covered chocolates that melt in your mouth not in your hand. I know that's the M&M song. I'll stop singing!

I guess I just have fond memories of separating the colours and eating them one by one from when I was a kid. lol!
#7 Old 05-12-2010, 10:56 AM
Beginner

Oh my gosh - I'm totally wanting to make a trip to Whole Foods! I don't have one in my area either given that I am in Canada as well. Lucky lucky!
#8 Old 05-12-2010, 11:02 AM
Veggie Regular

I am so jealous. I don't have one near me either, but there is one near my husbands work (45 minutes away). One of these weekends when I find some time, I'm going to make him take me there. I'm afraid of what I will spend, though. I just spent $200 at TJ's and they're much smaller than WF.

Laura
#9 Old 05-12-2010, 11:22 AM

i really dont know what i would do without a whole foods!
#10 Old 05-12-2010, 11:34 AM
Veggie Regular

Oh, gees....I didn't even tell you the best part. When I got to Canadian Customs, on the deceleration card, I had marked that I was bringing in nuts, and that I went over my limit of allowances...my total being over $150 (24 hour allowance is $50). The Customs officer asked me if I had any meat...I said no, everything is vegan. You could see the stuff in my grocery bags, and he looked at the Field Roast Grain sausages, and asked "even these?". I said..."yeah, I am excited to try those!" He said: "well since you are so nice to the environment, I'm not gonna bother with the duty and taxes!". YAY!

I actually used to work for customs...he was just being lazy...but some of them are hard a$$es and will nail you for anything. So it was nice.

The other great thing was....I was the only passenger on the way back...so I got to sit with the pilot in the co-pilot seat in the seaplane, and had an amazing view back. Wow, what a trip. I highly recommend it!

AND....Whole Foods gives you 20 cents for bringing your own bag! Not the mere 3 cents that Thriftys (here in Victoria) gives you!!
#11 Old 05-12-2010, 12:45 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cedre View Post

Oh, gees....I didn't even tell you the best part. When I got to Canadian Customs, on the deceleration card, I had marked that I was bringing in nuts, and that I went over my limit of allowances...my total being over $150 (24 hour allowance is $50). The Customs officer asked me if I had any meat...I said no, everything is vegan. You could see the stuff in my grocery bags, and he looked at the Field Roast Grain sausages, and asked "even these?". I said..."yeah, I am excited to try those!" He said: "well since you are so nice to the environment, I'm not gonna bother with the duty and taxes!". YAY!

I actually used to work for customs...he was just being lazy...but some of them are hard a$$es and will nail you for anything. So it was nice.

The other great thing was....I was the only passenger on the way back...so I got to sit with the pilot in the co-pilot seat in the seaplane, and had an amazing view back. Wow, what a trip. I highly recommend it!

AND....Whole Foods gives you 20 cents for bringing your own bag! Not the mere 3 cents that Thriftys (here in Victoria) gives you!!

That's awesome! Great day, great finds, and great deals. I hope your next visit out there is just as good.
#12 Old 05-12-2010, 12:51 PM

I love Whole Foods, but I have to only visit once in a while because I spend so much there! I'm about to move really far away from the one near me, and will only be going there on a special trip like once a month if I'm lucky now!
#13 Old 05-12-2010, 02:39 PM
Veggie Regular

Whole Foods is addictive. I walk by one every day to and from work and I stop in all the time. "Oh I just need some cat food." 20 minutes later I'm walking out with a big old bag of goodness. It's pricey, but well worth it if you can control how much you spend in there!

Our Generation has had no Great war, no Great Depression. Our war is spiritual. Our depression is our lives.
#14 Old 05-12-2010, 09:46 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by shannonisfun! View Post

i really dont know what i would do without a whole foods!

+1

*this space not for sale*
#15 Old 05-12-2010, 11:00 PM
Beginner

I was also in the Seattle area over the weekend and made sure to go stock up on Daiya and Mighty-O Donuts! Whole Foods was currently carrying the Orange Blossom flavor which are definitely my favorite so far. I avoided buying other stuff because I know how much money I end up spending otherwise.
#16 Old 05-12-2010, 11:20 PM
Veggie Regular

Cedre, glad to hear you finally made your way over here to the old U S of A and to Whole Foods.

I really need to go more often considering there's one less than a mile away.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilwheatonfan View Post

I was also in the Seattle area over the weekend and made sure to go stock up on Daiya and Mighty-O Donuts!

I have no idea why I have not bought any Mighty-O Donuts yet! I had some samples at Vegfest a little while ago and WOW. Something else I absolutely need to do.
#17 Old 05-12-2010, 11:22 PM
Veggie Regular

I love going to Whole foods too, and I try to visit everytime I'm down in the states.

You know you don't have to go through customs to get to a whole foods though. There are three in Vancouver now too. http://www.wholefoodsmarket.com/stores/canada/

You could bring as much as you want back!!

http://bringingyouohm.wordpress.com/

Lokah Samastah Sukhino Bhavanto

'May everyone everywhere be happy
May the whole world be joyous'
#18 Old 05-13-2010, 12:28 AM
HNV
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cedre View Post

No....I didn't know that at all! Thanks for clarifying. I am in Canada. I would have totally grabbed the M&M wannabie smarties!

I read that smarties (US version only) are vegan on some PETA website a while ago, and for some reason it stuck in my head. I know they aren't great chocolate or anything...but I love the little coloured candy covered chocolates that melt in your mouth not in your hand. I know that's the M&M song. I'll stop singing!

I guess I just have fond memories of separating the colours and eating them one by one from when I was a kid. lol!

US Smarties aren't the same as Canada's smarties. They aren't chocolate. Albeit there is a "chocolate flavor" one. But not candy coated covered chocolate.

More like a sugar wafer.

The worst sin toward our fellow creatures is not to hate them, but to be indifferent to them. That is the essence of humanity.
#19 Old 05-13-2010, 11:43 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by synergy View Post

I love going to Whole foods too, and I try to visit everytime I'm down in the states.

You know you don't have to go through customs to get to a whole foods though. There are three in Vancouver now too. http://www.wholefoodsmarket.com/stores/canada/

You could bring as much as you want back!!

I don't get to go to Vancouver much. But I actually just came back today from Vancouver and made my second trip to Whole Foods (wow, twice in one week!). However, I must say I was disappointed with Vancouver's "Capers" version of Whole Foods! They didn't have Daiya, Field Roast Grain, 'So Delicious' coconut yogurt, nor half the gardein selection! However, they did have 4 different types of veganaise!?! AND Peanut Butter & Co. peanut butters! Mmmm: LINK. Amazingly, the PB and white chocolate is vegan!!

There were loads of vegan goodies...but it's all stuff that I can get here in Victoria too. I was shocked that the Vancouver WF doesn't have Daiya cheese, considering the company is based in Vancouver!!! Yet Seattle WF has it! That's just insane!
#20 Old 05-15-2010, 09:55 PM
Veggie Regular

I just got back from Whole Foods and bought way too much. I love that place though.
#21 Old 05-16-2010, 08:30 AM
Veggie Regular

I'm so glad you had a good time. It's easy to get carried away at Whole Foods! Enjoy your goodies.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page