Pumpkin Pasta saves the day! - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 05-01-2010, 08:39 AM
Beginner

I was meeting up with my brother last night to finally see his new apartment (he just moved out of my parents house...go bro). And he was with some co-workers at a bistro called The Cheese Course. I am sure you can guess what they serve...in every menu item...in huge quantities....yeap thats right cheese. So knowing this, I ate before hand and met up for a glass of wine.

They all ordered cheese centered salads, yeap even the salads couldn't escape. And 2 cheese plate appetizers. So I sat there chatting and no one really commenting on my lack of eating. So of course my brother had to announce to the table...Nik doesn't eat this. She doesn't eat cheese. Which of course led to panic'd looks on their faces from trying to imagine not eating cheese. I just smiled. The convo went as followed:

Nurse 1 - You don't eat cheese? Are you a vegan?

Me - Yes. (I am transitioning into veganism, I'm not perfect yet, but I'm doing pretty damn good. Easier to just say yes.)

Nurse 2 - OMG how hard....thank god you can at least eat fish.

Me - Nope...no fish.

Nurse 2 - WHY?

Me - Fish are animals. I don't eat animals.

Nurse 1, 2 and 3 - What the hell do you eat?!?

Me - Green, grains, fruits, other veggies, soy...all sorts of delicious stuff!

Nurse - Nope, I could never do that (puts pus filled/cruel-ly created cheese in her mouth and smiles). You must be starving.

Me - Nope, I had this awesome pumpkin pasta before I came over with whole wheat pasta and nutmeg and cinnamin. A little sage and hot sauce

Nurse - Wow that sounds really good. Can you send me the recipe?

And vegan pumpkin pasta bridges the gap to prove that we don't all eat twigs and cry and wish we could eat cheese...or fish. Happy Saturday everyone!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 05-01-2010, 08:47 AM
Arrrg! Me mateys.

FISH?!?!

Anyways, that's cool. At least they have the idea that we aren't plucking grass from the ground and scavenging for food. And now really need to make some pumpkin pasta.

korrakorrakorrakorrakorra
#3 Old 05-01-2010, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newask View Post

Me - Nope, I had this awesome pumpkin pasta before I came over with whole wheat pasta and nutmeg and cinnamin. A little sage and hot sauce

That sounds lovely.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 05-01-2010, 08:58 AM
Beginner

Ha ha I know. I was reccommending it to everyone last week, and then I HAD to make it for myself.

I always read about people thinking vegans/vegetarians eat fish, but I had never met anyone who thought that before yesterday. Fish have feelings too. So do the 100+ other species that die and get tossed back into the ocean as waste in the commercial fishing industry.

But I didn't want to scare them, so I started slow. Next outing I will give them a little more....so I guess Vegan Freak IS teaching me something.
#5 Old 05-01-2010, 12:31 PM
Beginner

My future-dad-in-law's girlfriend is a so-called vegetarian-who-eats-fish (how she categorises it, not me). I suggested the inconsistency once, and asked whether the inability of fish to express pain as clearly as most 'food animals' played a role in the distinction... she got kind of pissy and changed the subject.

Never bothered to bring it up again, don't want to be responsible for causing any more tension than there already is in that family, but sadly yes there are plenty of people - both 'pescatarians' and omnivores - who see fish as a valid vegetarian food.

http://dietarypacifism.com/

recipes and thoughts on veganism and religion
#6 Old 05-04-2010, 12:25 PM

so...can we have the pumpkin pasta recipe? Or is it already posted somewhere???
#7 Old 05-04-2010, 12:56 PM

Hahaha, I love this post! I feel like I've had this exact conversation about 500 times. Why do they always assume we eat fish?
#8 Old 05-04-2010, 01:07 PM
Veggie Regular

um, yes...they get the recipe and not us?? pumpkin pasta recipe please

whenever anyone suggests fish as veg*n food, I always say awww...poor fishies, and make the fish mouth expression (where you suck in your cheeks and flap your lips) and add puppy eyes. It always gets them, and they look at me like the weird freak that I am!!
#9 Old 05-04-2010, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeggieKres View Post

Why do they always assume we eat fish?

I have no idea. Since when are fish considered a vegetable! Grr.

I would also like the recipe!
#10 Old 05-04-2010, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cedre View Post

whenever anyone suggests fish as veg*n food, I always say awww...poor fishies, and make the fish mouth expression (where you suck in your cheeks and flap your lips) and add puppy eyes. It always gets them, and they look at me like the weird freak that I am!!

ha ha! that's a good idea. i think i'll try it next time someone asks me about fish.

I think people think fish are veg*n because they don't have legs. Fish don't have legs; vegetables don't have legs; therefore fish are vegetables. it's simple logic!
#11 Old 05-04-2010, 05:55 PM
Veggie Regular

I'm not too worried about it. Last Thanksgiving, I was told eating turkey was all right. You know how turkeys are vegetables.

Anytime I think I'm perfect, I remember that my cousin lives on an island, and I've never walked over to visit her.
#12 Old 05-05-2010, 03:33 AM
Veggie Regular

I don't eat fish. I don't eat dairy. I don't eat eggs.

Friends say, "Wow, you are hard-core!"
#13 Old 05-05-2010, 07:16 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by VegEmily View Post

so...can we have the pumpkin pasta recipe? Or is it already posted somewhere???

Another vote for the recipe request
#14 Old 05-06-2010, 07:03 PM

I'd like the recipe too please
#15 Old 05-09-2010, 08:10 PM

Pumpkin Pasta sounds amazing :x
#16 Old 05-10-2010, 06:41 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by newask View Post

What the hell do you eat?!

My answer to this question is usually "Babies."

Usually ends the conversation fairly quickly if it's going downhill.
#17 Old 05-12-2010, 06:02 AM
Veggie Regular

I just bought a butternut squash, and your seasoning ideas sound lovely! So for dinner tomorrow methinks I'll be making a butternut squash pasta dish... yay!

And seriously. It's very frustrating when people think that veg*ns eat fish. My roommate, for example, always tells me that I should feel free to eat fish if I want. *headdesk*

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page