I'm so happy about the new Becel Vegan Spread - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 04-27-2010, 07:11 AM
Beginner

I used to have a difficult time scanning for ingredients while buying margarine spread. Now I'm so glad that Becel has come with a Vegan spread and I don't have to spend so much time just to get a tub of margarine. The taste is good too.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 04-27-2010, 07:30 AM
Veggie Regular

I've been noticing that companies are putting "Vegan" right out front now. It does make things SO much easier!

I haven't tried this spread yet, I'll pick some up when I see it at my store.
#3 Old 04-27-2010, 12:23 PM
Banned

i got some. its not the same as earth balance, but its not bad for cooking with and its a lot cheaper.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 04-27-2010, 02:54 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoodedclawjen View Post

i got some. its not the same as earth balance, but its not bad for cooking with and its a lot cheaper.

Where do you get Earth Balance here? (I remember that you are from Canada). I couldn't find in the Super Store here. Becel Vegan was on sale this week. 2 for $5.
#5 Old 04-28-2010, 12:54 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by madhuram View Post

Where do you get Earth Balance here? (I remember that you are from Canada). I couldn't find in the Super Store here. Becel Vegan was on sale this week. 2 for $5.

awww crap. i bought it last week, and i think having 3 tubs of marg in the house at once is a recipe for enlarging the already ample dimensions of my bum.

i'm in ontario like you. i don't know where abouts you are, but i'm in brampton, which is really big and near toronto, so i have a lot of places to shop. lucky boyfriends wallet.

i can get it in superstore (mine is huge, and its in the natural/organic section- if yours doesn't carry it, ask them to get it!) and highland farms (the one in missisauga), plus fortinos (who didn't carry it to begin with, but got it after i went in armed with an empty pot and rambled on at them about how they have no vegan margarine and how delicious that one is ), um... where else when i go to orangeville (used to live there and still visit) in Zehrs and harmony whole foods market.. when i go into toronto i grab it in either wholefoods, or the big carrot.

i've said it already, but i'm really (probably a bit overly) passionate about this principle: ask for it, and they will get it.

if you want a store to carry something- tell them! (not some random teenage boy- but a proper manager or customer service desk person with request forms). the customer is king- we effectively pay their wages and kep them in business, and they'll usually do their best to make us happy... especially if you play the "well the other local supermarket has it, and i'm thinking it'd be easier to do all my shopping there so i can get everything i need at once, but that'd be a shame cos i like this store... hint hint" card.

i've seen it in a sobeys in newbrunswick too, so i know they can carry it if and when they want to. if i shopped in sobeys more often i'd nag them to stock it in their brampton store/s- maybe they already stock it where you live. if not, they could... .
#6 Old 04-29-2010, 07:21 AM
Beginner

Let me talk to the store manager of the Super Store I frequent regularly. I know which Super Store you are talking about. I live quite near that place only and actually went there for the first time last week. It was HUGE. Maybe I didn't check the aisle properly because I couldn't find Earth Balance and then remembered about Becel Vegan and got it there only. I have never been to Highland Farms. Somehow I'm of the opinion that everything is very expensive there. Let me check there too. Thank you very much HCJ.
#7 Old 04-29-2010, 08:43 AM
Veggie Regular

I just bought Becel vegan yesterday. I like!

Earth Balance tastes really good, but it's hard. The Becel is softer and easier to spread. I get my EB at Fortinos on Worthington/Bovaird in Brampton. It costs 3.99 regular price, but it's often on sale. The Becel was 3.29. I think I'll use both for different things.

It's exciting that a more mainstream company is coming out with a vegan product.
#8 Old 04-29-2010, 08:08 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by madhuram View Post

Let me talk to the store manager of the Super Store I frequent regularly. I know which Super Store you are talking about. I live quite near that place only and actually went there for the first time last week. It was HUGE. Maybe I didn't check the aisle properly because I couldn't find Earth Balance and then remembered about Becel Vegan and got it there only. I have never been to Highland Farms. Somehow I'm of the opinion that everything is very expensive there. Let me check there too. Thank you very much HCJ.

it is huge in that store its not with the normal margarine up by the milk and juice- at the back of the store, its right down by the cash end of things, in the aisle after the catfood one, with all the organic posh moisturisers and gluten free stuff .

ohhhhh! you should go to highland farms- just for a look! it doesn't seem any more expensive than anywhere else to me- unless you buy posh imported things (they're expensive everywhere). they have food from all over the world- polish chocolate, italian panettonne (like a sort of big bubble-shaped fruit-cake-bread) bottles of mysterious shady looking russian cola, loads of asian noodles, mexican canned diseased corn (scary looking stuff which is apparently a bit of a mushroomy delicacy) dried herbs in bunches (not a crappy little pot but a big chunk of tree )... sometimes they have this really nice american tofu thats got garlic and black pepper in it... its just really cool seeing different things on the shelf.

Quote:
Originally Posted by paganveg View Post

I just bought Becel vegan yesterday. I like!

Earth Balance tastes really good, but it's hard. The Becel is softer and easier to spread. I get my EB at Fortinos on Worthington/Bovaird in Brampton. It costs 3.99 regular price, but it's often on sale. The Becel was 3.29. I think I'll use both for different things.

It's exciting that a more mainstream company is coming out with a vegan product.

yay! i was hoping you'd show up!

i love fortinos for sales on things like earth balance, rice milk, etc. they have lots of cool stuff in there generally as well. the margarines- i agree- i think they are both good for different things- i'm using the becel for cooking mainly-i like the stronger flavour of the EB for on scones, etc- even if its a job to spread it (i just blob it on and smoosh it a bit when its meltier!).
#9 Old 04-29-2010, 08:36 PM
Veggie Regular

It's funny, because my mom was telling me about this when she called me the other day. She was happy because she'd be able to buy this stuff for when I visit, because she doesn't like Earth Balance (*gasp*).
#10 Old 04-29-2010, 08:56 PM
Banned

doesn't like?
#11 Old 04-29-2010, 08:59 PM
Veggie Regular

Yeah, crazy right? She says it has a funny taste. I think she's a bit nuts.

And she's normally very open about foods, and eats a lot of vegetarian/vegan foods a lot of the time. Even my Dad likes EB and he's a bit more picky about that sort of thing. He likes it just fine, which is good because he uses up the leftovers that I always leave behind (unless you're doing some serious baking, it's hard to use up a tub of the stuff in a week or so)
#12 Old 04-30-2010, 09:21 AM
Beginner

I have never tasted a margarine that I liked in my life. So my question is why margarine when there is perfectly fine olive oil around?
#13 Old 04-30-2010, 10:39 AM
Veggie Regular

Because a lot of people like margarine?
#14 Old 04-30-2010, 11:51 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terje View Post

I have never tasted a margarine that I liked in my life. So my question is why margarine when there is perfectly fine olive oil around?

cos olive oil is liquid... usually... hopefully? and not everyone likes oliviness in every scenario possible?
#15 Old 04-30-2010, 02:05 PM
Veggie Regular

EB melted over popcorn with nutritional yeast......
#16 Old 05-01-2010, 07:54 AM
Beginner

Quote:

cos olive oil is liquid... usually... hopefully? and not everyone likes oliviness in every scenario possible?

It's liquid and you pour it on your plate, sprinkle some salt on it soak it up with the bread and it beats any margarine out there becasue it pretty much beats anything you can ever have on your bread, provided we're talking about really great olive oil, which is incidentally what I'm talking about.

And who are these people who don't like olive oil in every scenarioa possible? I need to know so they can be hunted down!
#17 Old 05-02-2010, 06:32 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terje View Post

It's liquid and you pour it on your plate, sprinkle some salt on it soak it up with the bread and it beats any margarine out there becasue it pretty much beats anything you can ever have on your bread, provided we're talking about really great olive oil, which is incidentally what I'm talking about.

And who are these people who don't like olive oil in every scenarioa possible? I need to know so they can be hunted down!

i know how it works olive oil is very good. but its ... an oil. sometimes something a bit more solid is good too. *runs away*
#18 Old 05-02-2010, 07:00 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

i've seen it in a sobeys in newbrunswick too, so i know they can carry it if and when they want to. if i shopped in sobeys more often i'd nag them to stock it in their brampton store/s- maybe they already stock it where you live. if not, they could... .

Ahem, where in New Brunswick? (Please be Bathurst, please be bathurst). Earth Balance is what we buy, but I find it a bit pricey.
#19 Old 05-03-2010, 12:51 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melanie View Post

Ahem, where in New Brunswick? (Please be Bathurst, please be bathurst). Earth Balance is what we buy, but I find it a bit pricey.

yeppers, this one:

http://maps.google.ca/maps?f=q&sourc...,229.15,,0,6.8

it was a year or two ago though. we're talking about earth balance though still, right?

if you mean the becel, i bet they have that too- or the atlantic superstore should- they had LOADS of good stuff when i last snuck in there! and if they don't have it, demand it! politely, of course.
#20 Old 05-03-2010, 05:14 AM
Veggie Regular

Vegan Becel?! I definitely need to keep my eyes open for that!!
#21 Old 05-03-2010, 03:41 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

yeppers, this one:

http://maps.google.ca/maps?f=q&sourc...,229.15,,0,6.8

it was a year or two ago though. we're talking about earth balance though still, right?

if you mean the becel, i bet they have that too- or the atlantic superstore should- they had LOADS of good stuff when i last snuck in there! and if they don't have it, demand it! politely, of course.

Hehe yep, that's our Sobeys alright! I was talking about the Becel though I know they have EB there too. They had it before Superstore carried it, and now they do too! I'll look out for the Becel though.

PS. You have to tell me if you ever go to Bathurst again!
#22 Old 05-03-2010, 09:10 PM
Banned

Quote:

Hehe yep, that's our Sobeys alright! I was talking about the Becel though I know they have EB there too. They had it before Superstore carried it, and now they do too! I'll look out for the Becel though.

PS. You have to tell me if you ever go to Bathurst again!

its usually a crazy last minute thing with a silly schedual, but i'll have a go.
#23 Old 05-05-2010, 03:47 PM
Beginner

I`m going to be on the lookout for this - hopefully I can find it on sale too, haha!
#24 Old 05-07-2010, 12:26 PM
Veggie Regular

Went to my Superstore today for groceries and they DO carry the new vegan Becel spread! Yay! *does a happy dance*

Cheaper than Earth Balance too, about a dollar less, and the container is bigger!
#25 Old 05-07-2010, 10:43 PM
Banned

Quote:

Went to my Superstore today for groceries and they DO carry the new vegan Becel spread! Yay! *does a happy dance*

Cheaper than Earth Balance too, about a dollar less, and the container is bigger!

yaaay!
#26 Old 01-25-2011, 03:51 PM

Oh this is wonderful! I'll be searching my stores in Edmonton for both Becel Vegan and Earth Balance. I hope it's available in the grocery stores.
#27 Old 01-25-2011, 09:12 PM
Super Moderator

I love the new Becel Vegan, it's neat! EB is still awesome and I think it tastes a tiny bit better but it is hard and it sucks for toast, whenever I try to spread EB on something I get crumbs everywhere, but the Becel is nice and soft and goes on easy. It's great for baking and mashed potatoes too!

"If we could live happy and healthy lives without harming others... why wouldn't we?" - Edgars Mission

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page