Was vegan for 18 months, fell off the wagon... not even vegetarian anymore, help! - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 03-28-2010, 09:22 PM

Obviously, by being here, I want to do something about it. I'm not exactly sure what happened... I had a moment of weakness with Dip n' Dots and it was all downhill from there. Those things really aren't even that good.

Well, since I've turned my back on veganism (which was about a year and a half ago) I have gained 25 pounds (not really that big of a deal because I used to be around 105, but still not ideal) and lost a lot of respect for myself. I need some sort of support because I want to go vegan again, but I have no idea where to find that kind of support in my life; my parents were happy when I decided to start eating meat because it was easier for them, and my boyfriend just doesn't understand why anyone would want to eat anything other than meat and potatoes.

I know it's not the easiest thing to go from omnivore to vegan overnight, but that's how I did it last time, so I'm hoping this will work out for me. I'm also begging from some support from you guys because that's how I got through the difficult first week or so last time (my username was alli -- not sure if anyone remembers me or not).

I just need to be reminded of why I did this in the first place, and why I'm doing it again. I just can't contribute to animal cruelty.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 03-28-2010, 11:07 PM
Veggie Regular

Well I think you said it all yourself..... "I just can't contribute to animal cruelty.". It doesn't matter if you fall of the wagon so to speak, what matters is whether you get back on it! So go on show yourself you can do this!!!

If you found it reasonably easy last time to go cold turky, I would say why not do it that way again. Or you can always phase it in if you think that would be easier. Every time I start to doubt why I'm vegan - usually in the face of social pressures I come on here and it reminds me that I really want to do this. Perhaps that is something that can help you too?
#3 Old 03-28-2010, 11:08 PM
Veggie Regular

Well I think you said it all yourself..... "I just can't contribute to animal cruelty.". It doesn't matter if you fall of the wagon so to speak, what matters is whether you get back on it! So go on show yourself you can do this!!!

If you found it reasonably easy last time to go cold turky, I would say why not do it that way again. Or you can always phase it in if you think that would be easier. Every time I start to doubt why I'm vegan - usually in the face of social pressures I come on here and it reminds me that I really want to do this. Perhaps that is something that can help you too?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 03-28-2010, 11:15 PM
Banned

Watch Earthlings.
#5 Old 03-29-2010, 07:01 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by KrisMTL View Post

Watch Earthlings.

I agree. Watch/read something. Meet your meat is especially potent for me http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VIjanhKqVC4, and also the Mercy For Animals dairy video http://www.mercyforanimals.org/dairy/.

After reading things like The China Study, Fast Food Nation, and Skinny *****, I don't think I could ever really go back to eating meat/dairy. I feel like I just know too much. Maybe it would help you to get a little piece of paper and write down quotes or statistics that mean a lot to you, like how many animals you'll save by being vegan and what kind of terrible things happen in a slaughterhouse. Then you could carry that around in your wallet and look at it when you're feeling tempted.
#6 Old 03-29-2010, 07:02 AM
Veggie Regular

Good luck with starting again. You'll find lots of support here as you aready know. I'm with you on going cold turkey - if you find it easy then why go half way? I went from Omni to veg and a few days later was vegan. If you have a bad day, don't stress about it, just put it behind you and move forward. xxx
#7 Old 03-29-2010, 07:05 AM

Start all over again, You have already been there, you know what it takes. If you did it once, you can surely do it again. Get some books and watch some movies that will make you remember why you turned veg*n in the first place. You can do this!
#8 Old 03-29-2010, 07:41 AM
Veggie Regular

Maybe you're looking at it the wrong way - instead of thinking of it as something you have to do, think of it as something you're not doing. After all, it is defined by what you don't partake in, not what you do

You're just simplifying your life by using less things.
#9 Old 03-29-2010, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tacos View Post

I know it's not the easiest thing to go from omnivore to vegan overnight, but that's how I did it last time, so I'm hoping this will work out for me.

id reckon that seeing as it didnt work out too well last time, maybe you should try being a vegetarian first for a while and then move on to veganism once you feel like its becoming a bit easier
#10 Old 03-29-2010, 08:00 AM
Veggie Regular

Hi guys, this is my old username, finally figured out my old password. Thank you so much for all the replies and support! I'm just about to go make myself a vegan breakfast and get back to where I should be.
#11 Old 03-29-2010, 08:37 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by phi View Post

It's weird how trying to be "perfect" can sometimes cause more of an emotional response than it should. I was at a party yesterday, checked the list of ingredients on a bag of corn chips or whatever you call those triangular pieces of dried mush commonly used with dips, and had some. A few minutes later, I noticed on that same bag a circled U with a D next to it. I am not religious, but I have always believed those letters meant kosher, but contains dairy. This made me feel really uncomfortable, anxious, just weird. I re-read the list of indgredients, and there was nothing on there I didn't recognize as vegan. I figure the product may have been kosher, but produced in a facility that also processes dairy or something like that. Ultimately, a mistake, no matter how grave, does not annihilate all the good work you have done and are going to do.

That's exactly what that means in many cases - shared equipment. A kosher-dairy certification (as long as there aren't any ACTUAL dairy - or honey or egg - ingredients) is vegan for all intents and purposes. Manufacturing facilities will clean and sterilize any equipment when changing the product production.

However, if you're unsure whether or not a trace ingredient in a product may be derived from dairy, it's best to avoid it altogether. I'll only eat something labeled kosher dairy if I'm 100% positive that NO trace ingredient is dairy derived.
#12 Old 03-29-2010, 08:48 AM
Veggie Regular

I can only do things in baby steps, but many people can do it all at once. I think the important thing is to decide what your ultimate goal is and just start your journey. Good luck to you. Please stay right here with us, we'll help support you.
#13 Old 03-29-2010, 09:05 AM
fcp

My $0.02 advice: Eat more at home and don't buy any meats (or eggs/dairy/honney if your going 100% vegan). My transition to Vegetarian (not 100% vegan yet) was this way: No meats at home and an eventual sushi at a restaurant.

Until I became too strong in me the sense that not killing animals for my satisfaction was the only thing to do and that it was easy enough to be vegetarian, with a very diverse diet.
#14 Old 03-29-2010, 10:53 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by NZVeggie View Post

You can do it!!! and like the others said- read and watch as many things as possible to help cement the journey in this time.
#15 Old 03-29-2010, 11:07 AM
Veggie Regular

I second (third?) the advice to watch Earthlings. It switched me from omnivore to vegan overnight. (More specifically, over the course of the 90+ minutes of the film!)

And I promised myself if I ever fell off the wagon, I'd watch it again. I don't know of anything else to get someone better motivated to cease contributing to animal cruelty.

Good luck, and welcome back!
#16 Old 03-29-2010, 12:29 PM
Veggie Regular

Good luck, I hope you find what you're looking for Just focus on what you know is right.
#17 Old 03-30-2010, 08:06 PM
Veggie Regular

Another one here for the Earthlings idea. I fell off the veg wagon too and decided to get back on when cancerous cells came back in my body. But for some reason that didn't do it for me and I told myself "next week I'll do it". Then I watched Earthlings. I have never cried harder in my life I am not gonna lie. But I knew that was exactly what it took and there was no going back. My weight wasn't enough. What I read in books wasn't enough. Biopsies and colposcopies weren't enough. Seeing where my food came from....that's all I'll ever need.
#18 Old 03-30-2010, 08:56 PM
Veggie Regular

I'm envious of those who can go vegan overnight. I couldn't. I eased my way into vegetarianism and then from the day I became vegetarian I started working my way towards veganism because I know ultimately I wanted to be vegan. I basically only ate a vegan diet at home, but if I went out to eat I'd still eat some things that contained dairy or eggs. Then eventually I stopped that too. The animal testing, clothing, etc stuff was super easy for me because I actually had avoided animal tested products for years and I always felt it was kind of barbaric to wear animal hides.

I would also recommend watching Earthlings. Here's a link to the full video for free, it does contain graphic images just as a warning.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...thlings&hl=en#

I would also suggest reading Dominion by Matthew Skully and The China Study by T. Colin Campbell for reading.

As long as there are slaughterhouses there will be battlefields. - Leo Tolstoy
My blog -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page