Looking for an eco-friendly and/or Vegan friendly job - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 03-18-2010, 05:02 PM

I applied to my local organic market recently and though I've not heard back from them, I feel like the chances of me getting the job is slim.

I've applied at that particular place several times before in the past 2 years and no luck.

I currently work at a bakery/cafe. 90% of what they sell is not vegan friendly. I'm constantly handling food containing dairy and egg, and on occasion have to handle food with meat. I'm constantly selling and having to promote food containing meat.

Aside from selling meat, the job is far from eco friendly. They do not recycle ANYTHING at all even though they could, they are constantly leaving water on, empty ovens on, etc etc. And what is even worse is they throw away leftover food such as bread, bagels, pastries, cookies, and even panini sandwiches that contain meat. Though my manager has gotten better at avoiding the over-baking of bagels [before we were throwing away hundreds of bagels every night] We are still throwing out lots of food. We do donate leftovers, but many of the people who used to pick them up no longer come to get the food.

Further more the food sold there is far from healthy. There we sell lots of stuff containing fresh veggies. The breads, the sauces, the meats pack on calories and fat. Some of our sandwiches contain 1,000 calories.

I am not proud for working at a job that supports animal cruelty by the selling of meat, dairy and egg. But I am even more so not proud for working at such a wasteful job!

I am not independent when it comes to driving. I depend on my parents to drive me, local bus, bicycling, and walking as a mean of transportation. So I do not think working on an animal sanctuary is currently an option for me.

I live in Maryland, USA if this is any help.

I really want a more eco-friendly job, and/or vegan-friendly job. I do not like the idea of corporate jobs either, so I do want to avoid them.

Does anyone have any kind of suggestions.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 03-19-2010, 10:06 AM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chorisu View Post

I applied to my local organic market recently and though I've not heard back from them, I feel like the chances of me getting the job is slim.

I've applied at that particular place several times before in the past 2 years and no luck.

I currently work at a bakery/cafe. 90% of what they sell is not vegan friendly. I'm constantly handling food containing dairy and egg, and on occasion have to handle food with meat. I'm constantly selling and having to promote food containing meat.

Aside from selling meat, the job is far from eco friendly. They do not recycle ANYTHING at all even though they could, they are constantly leaving water on, empty ovens on, etc etc. And what is even worse is they throw away leftover food such as bread, bagels, pastries, cookies, and even panini sandwiches that contain meat. Though my manager has gotten better at avoiding the over-baking of bagels [before we were throwing away hundreds of bagels every night] We are still throwing out lots of food. We do donate leftovers, but many of the people who used to pick them up no longer come to get the food.

Further more the food sold there is far from healthy. There we sell lots of stuff containing fresh veggies. The breads, the sauces, the meats pack on calories and fat. Some of our sandwiches contain 1,000 calories.

I am not proud for working at a job that supports animal cruelty by the selling of meat, dairy and egg. But I am even more so not proud for working at such a wasteful job!

I am not independent when it comes to driving. I depend on my parents to drive me, local bus, bicycling, and walking as a mean of transportation. So I do not think working on an animal sanctuary is currently an option for me.

I live in Maryland, USA if this is any help.

I really want a more eco-friendly job, and/or vegan-friendly job. I do not like the idea of corporate jobs either, so I do want to avoid them.

Does anyone have any kind of suggestions.

Blessed

All I can suggest is hang in there and believe in yourself and that you will get this sort of job. It worked for me. I know it sounds a little new-age, but see yourself having this job and believeing in it happening for you really works. maybe not right away, but it does work if the commitment is sincere. It has always worked for me, and it just worked again a couple of days ago. I found a job that fits my ethics, and on both of thoses levels you have mentioned. keep on believing. ... This is off the subject, but my sister lives in Ocean City Maryland, she says it is beautiful there.

LOL

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page