salad dressing - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 03-18-2010, 08:08 AM
Veggie Regular

i didn't find a thread about this anywhere though i thought there would be.

i'm working towards veganism and doing well at home but struggle when eating out. i don't have a clue which salad dressings generally have animal ingredients at restaurants. can you guys give me some idea of which ones to stay away from, which ones may or may not be ok, and what the questionable ingredients are that i should ask about?

i have a really hard time with these kinds of things
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 03-18-2010, 08:26 AM
Veggie Regular

Your safest bet is just oil and vinegar. But I will tell you, I've carried my own into restaurants (in my purse).
#3 Old 03-18-2010, 08:36 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by zirpkatze View Post

i didn't find a thread about this anywhere though i thought there would be.

i'm working towards veganism and doing well at home but struggle when eating out. i don't have a clue which salad dressings generally have animal ingredients at restaurants. can you guys give me some idea of which ones to stay away from, which ones may or may not be ok, and what the questionable ingredients are that i should ask about?

i have a really hard time with these kinds of things

I've found that vinaigrettes are often vegan, as well as Japanese/sushi restaurant style ginger dressing. Always check, but vinaigrettes seem to be a good starting point. If a vinaigrette isn't vegan, it's usually because romano or parmesan cheese has been added. Italian and french dressings are sometimes vegan, but Italian dressings sometimes have cheese too.

Any creamy-style dressing almost always contains eggs or dairy.

When in doubt, request olive oil and balsamic vinegar. And like Katoo, I'm not above sneaking a packet of vegan dressing in my bag
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 03-18-2010, 09:46 AM
Veggie Regular

I like Balsamic Vinaigrette.
#5 Old 03-19-2010, 01:13 PM

Caesar dressing contains anchovies, so avoid those. If you don't want oil and vinegar, try selecting a vinaigrette and asking if it contains cheese.
#6 Old 03-19-2010, 03:31 PM
Veggie Regular

Some contain honey as well.

I like just avocado for fat on my salad, or just tomatoes, or both. Salty and fatty enough.
#7 Old 04-02-2010, 06:11 PM
Veggie Regular

thanks everyone. i'll stick with vinaigrette and ask about cheese and honey.

Quote:
Originally Posted by penny79 View Post

I like just avocado for fat on my salad

i've seen so many salads with avocado that look amazing but avocado makes me nauseous
#8 Old 04-02-2010, 06:32 PM
Banned

I'll often bring my own, and butter (soy), if they have sourdough or some bread I know about.
#9 Old 04-02-2010, 11:46 PM
Veggie Regular

Make your own dressings. Making dressings is so much fun and you can make so many different kinds...kinds you'd never see in the store. You can make them really simple (oil, vinegar/lemon juice, spices) or more complex! Plus it's cheaper.

“May all sentient beings be free of pain and suffering.  May all sentient beings experience eternal joy and happiness.  gate gate pāragate pārasaṃgate bodhi svāhā.”
http://www.facebook.com/doktormartini
http://twitter.com/#!/MartyBaureis
http://doktormartini.tumblr.com

#10 Old 04-03-2010, 09:13 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by zirpkatze View Post

i've seen so many salads with avocado that look amazing but avocado makes me nauseous

I've been the same way with avocado. Guacomole' always triggered my gag reflex and I would throwup. I've been challenging myself, b/c I always wanted to eat it, it always looked and smalled amazing to me, plus all of the fabulous nutrients in it. So, I started slicing avocado, thinly and saute'ing in some (minimal- just covering the base of the pan) ev olive oil, ground pepper and freshly squeezed lemon juice. I saute' it on a low setting for a long time- it almost toughens the edges up like french fries w/o the fry. Then I add it to a fresh salad with some crunchier things like a small amount of toasted almonds, cucumber and celery. Then I add strawberries, lemon juice, flaxseed oil, more pepper and mix it all up and pile on the avocado from the pan. I haven't gagged once (yay) and I love the taste! I haven't gone the guac. path yet, but I will at some point, hoping I've beaten my problem.

As for the dressings- look up their menus online, they will list what dressings they have and if they're not homemade, then you can look up the name brand online and research. Otherwise, you're a paying customer, you absolutely have a right to order your salad dry and pop out your own salad dressing and use it there. The places I've waitressed, that has never been a problem, if it is, you can say you're on a restrictive diet, vegan, something random, or that maybe they should try to provide a dressing that is friendly to all of their paying customers.
#11 Old 04-03-2010, 09:47 AM
Veggie Regular

I just ask for vinegar and olive oil (on the side).

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page