Health info... [does veganism improve health?] - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 03-07-2010, 06:36 PM

I don't know if this has been posted before but....

I am doing the 21-day Vegan challenge and I am just wondering.....my husband has the WORST diet habits and has got some sort of nasty cold. I was just wondering from the VB'ers.....have you noticed your health and improved or gotten worse from going vegetarian/vegan? How has it differed from before?

Truthfully - I am feeling pretty good.....

Thanks in advance
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 03-07-2010, 07:31 PM
HNV
Veggie Regular

Your husband's body is probably going through a detox and his body is trying to expel the toxins. It's normal. I felt really great about 3 weeks into being vegan, and then as my body started to detox, I started to feel sluggish, my skin broke out, and i was really susceptible to colds. Ive been vegan for almost 6 months and I haven't gotten sick (even though my omni husband has been sick a few times) since the initial switch over.

The worst sin toward our fellow creatures is not to hate them, but to be indifferent to them. That is the essence of humanity.
#3 Old 03-07-2010, 07:47 PM
Veggie Regular

Right now I have the first cold I've had in almost a year. My blood pressure was borderline high before and now it's about what it was over 20 years ago. Most of the time I feel great.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 03-07-2010, 09:40 PM
Give peas a chance

Last week was the first time I've been sick in the 3 years since going veg. It was just a mild fever for 24 hours, but in the old days I would get sick at least twice a year, and it would linger for quite a while. I am self employed and getting sick is rather expensive in terms of lost productivity. Going veg improved my nutrition, so I'm sure that had something to do with my improved health. I don't know if there would have been the same impact if I had become a junk food vegan. Also, going veg was part of my overall goal to improve my health, and as part of that I stopped eating in restaurants, and every time I reenter the house after being outside, I use disinfectant on my hands. Overall I put a lot more thought into what goes into my body and the effect it has on my well being.

Vegan Cookbooks Illustrated

http://vegan-cookbooks-illustrated.blogspot.com/

http://pinterest.com/VeganCookbooks/

#5 Old 03-08-2010, 02:40 AM
Veggie Regular

Going vegan doesn't necessarily improve health. However, if you eat lots of fresh fruits and vegetables, your body may be able to heal itself better than prior (if you consumed less nutrients).
#6 Old 03-08-2010, 06:38 AM

I have a lot more energy, don't get sluggish during the day, and haven't been sick in the three years I've been vegan, other than occasional seasonal allergies. Read "The China Study" if you want to know about all the benefits!
#7 Old 03-09-2010, 06:47 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by *la_vegana* View Post

I have a lot more energy, don't get sluggish during the day, and haven't been sick in the three years I've been vegan, other than occasional seasonal allergies. Read "The China Study" if you want to know about all the benefits!

I second the China Study recommendation. Great book. Very eye opening!

I haven't been sick at all since I went vegan last May, but I don't normally get sick anyway so I don't know if I can attribute that to veganism. I know I FEEL a lot healthier, and I actually have the desire, energy, and endurance to work out (which I never did before and didn't even want to). I know my nutrition is a lot better, because I used to eat junk food and fast food all the time. Now I actually CRAVE fruits and vegetables. I don't even want the bad stuff.

My ex went vegan with me around the same time I did. From May to January he lost about 75 pounds!
#8 Old 03-09-2010, 07:06 AM

To be honest, for about the first month of going vegan, I got awful cramps in my stomach. But everything after that has been great. I barely even have a sniffly nose. I recently got a blood test and the doctor was even surprised at how healthy I was :P
#9 Old 03-10-2010, 08:44 AM

Here's my story.

I have an autoimmune condition (rheumatoid arthritis) and fibromyalgia. I went vegan in January - for the first week or so, my stomach hurt and I was stuffed up. Then, about week 3, I suddenly felt like a million bucks. No joint pain, tons of energy. I see the stomach ache and stuffiness as detox. My RA symptoms improved dramatically. Coincidence?

In February, I started eating dairy again. Within 1 week, I could barely walk. You do the math
#10 Old 03-10-2010, 10:00 AM
Veggie Regular

Forgot to add this! It was the reason my ex went vegan!

Anyway, his allergies were really bad. I said he should look into natural remedies instead of taking Benadryl all the time. Most of what he found said that cutting out dairy and meat would help. He decided to go all the way since I was already transitioning to vegan then.

He didn't have any problems with his allergies after that!
#11 Old 03-10-2010, 10:13 AM
Veggie Regular

I think improving your diet, makes you healthier. (as well as a million other things!)

Being vegan doesn't mean your diet will become better, you could live off of chips and crisps and be vegan but very unhealthy. You can be vegan and malnourished, or you can be extreemly healthy and vegan.

Lots of vegans (through choice) have a big intrest in healthy eating - or that's what I've obserevd over the internet, and by the fact most vegan products are advistised heavily by their health benifits. However, there is of course an intrinsic value in not eating animal products due to eating less saturated fat and bad cholesterol(sp?).

There's also health benfits having much less unhealthy choices, and being "encouraged" (due to lack of options!) to cook a lot of food from scratch (which results, usually, in a lower salt, sugar, saturated fat and fat intake in meals).

However, does veganism improve health? No, not nessersairly. Does eating vegan correlate with eating healthier, I don't know statistically, but I'd guess so.

Also, I always think with questions like this, many aspects of veganism have absolutely nothing to do with health: using vegan shampoo, not wearing wool and leather, not buying leather sofas, not buying lipbalm with beeswax in it. So even if a vegan diet is healthier, there's much more to being vegan than just diet.
#12 Old 03-10-2010, 10:14 AM
Veggie Regular

Congratulations on accepting and following the 21-day Vegan Challenge! Woo Hoo! Is your husband following this, too? I couldn't really tell from what you wrote. For me, someone who was chronically sick with loads of autoimmune problems and diseases, I have felt wonderful, even while still ironing some kinks out medically. I did go through the detox, too, like HiNiceVegan did. (Although, I thought detox was something that always happens just in simpler or more complex versions, some informed me that that is not always the case, so if your husband's health continues to faulter, it's best to see a doctor and make sure that something else isn't the matter.) For the first time in my life (I used to be the one to be a gazillion miles away from a germ and contract it and the worst version of it) for months I have been around a lot of very sick individuals and (knock on wood) haven't become sick once- hurray! Actually, my health greatly improved from making the move from vegetarian to vegan. From sources I've read, I've heard similar successes, that veganism was the magic that made them feel best. However, there are so many other inspiring reasons for becoming a vegan, better health is just one of the many perks. Best to you and wishing you great success

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdstar View Post

I don't know if this has been posted before but....

I am doing the 21-day Vegan challenge and I am just wondering.....my husband has the WORST diet habits and has got some sort of nasty cold. I was just wondering from the VB'ers.....have you noticed your health and improved or gotten worse from going vegetarian/vegan? How has it differed from before?

Truthfully - I am feeling pretty good.....

Thanks in advance

#13 Old 03-10-2010, 10:16 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Identity_thief View Post

I think improving your diet, makes you healthier. (as well as a million other things!)

Being vegan doesn't mean your diet will become better, you could live off of chips and crisps and be vegan but very unhealthy. You can be vegan and malnourished, or you can be extreemly healthy and vegan.

^^too true! ^^
#14 Old 03-10-2010, 10:29 AM
Veggie Regular

More energy during the day, less of the 2:30pm slump at work.

have much more energy than I ever had when I drank caffeine to perk up.
#15 Old 03-10-2010, 12:17 PM
Arrrg! Me mateys.

I became a vegan about a year ago. I haven't been sick once. No cough, no cold, nothing. Before then, during the winter I'd usually get colds a lot. As well as the flu throughout the year. There hasn't been anything so far since I've been vegan. (:

korrakorrakorrakorrakorra
#16 Old 03-10-2010, 07:06 PM

Guys - thanks so very, very much for your thoughts. NO - my husband is not following my eating plan, however, he will actually cook my meals (when I am working in the evenings) and he eats when I fix. Honestly - I am on day #10 and am feeling really good. What has amazed me? The belly bloat that I have had is GONE!!!!!!!!! I smell some of the foods he is cooking and it still smells okay - but my desire to eat it is nearly gone. I have too many options. My next step? Putting my sweet little girl (my fur-baby aka dog) on a vegan diet. I cannot tell you how much I appreciate all the info everyone has given me. China study is next on the list to read. Bless all of you.
#17 Old 03-10-2010, 07:57 PM
Veggie Regular

I'm still overweight and I've been vegan over 4 years. It doesn't stop stress eating I guess.

Speaking of colds, I usually don't get them, even if they are going around work. But with a recent job change and I moved. Stress. I have a cold.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page