Shelf stable convenience foods? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 02-28-2010, 01:54 PM
Veggie Regular

I'll be taking my daughter into the hospital tomorrow and it might turn into a few day's stay so I want to go prepared so I don't get stuck munching on the crappy veggies at their salad bar the whole time.

I have two cans of vegan soup already and I'll take snacks like fruit and granola bars. I need stuff that's shelf stable and can be prepared in the microwave.

Any ideas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 02-28-2010, 02:03 PM
Banned

amys has chilli, eden foods does canned rice and beans/lentils, you can buy microwaveable rice in little pouches and chuck canned sweetcorn, beans, etc in there too. crackers and a spread/pate/peanut butter fill a gap pretty well, as does instant oatmeal. we have a lot of foil packed shelf stable indian stuff here- but if you've not got a big indian population where you live, then you probably don't. instant noodles are pretty decent with a peanutty sauce on them, or cooked with a stock cube- specially if you add beans or veggies. you can even buy canned stirfry veggies although they're not exactly awesome. oh yeah- baked potato with baked beans on it is a student stable where i'm from, which can definately be done in a microwave (do the beans seperately, they'd explode way before a potato cooks!).
#3 Old 02-28-2010, 02:05 PM
Veggie Regular

Many Simply Asia noodle bowls are vegan. You can usually find them in the Asian section of regular supermarkets and even Walmart. They even come with a bowl and a little fork.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 02-28-2010, 02:16 PM
HNV
Veggie Regular

Dr. McDougall also has nice little selection of sustainable foods that are pretty tasty and easy (ranging from oatmeal, to soups). I either find them at Whole Foods or in the natural food section at the grocery store.

The worst sin toward our fellow creatures is not to hate them, but to be indifferent to them. That is the essence of humanity.
#5 Old 02-28-2010, 03:50 PM

When I've stayed in hospital before we were allowed to keep food in their fridges, do you know if you may be able to that? If you are it might increase the options you have available slightly. (ETA: I was a patient there when using the fridge, not sure what the rules are for family members and stuff.)

Otherwisr not much to add, hoodedclawjen gave a pretty decent list.

Maybe things like PBJ sandwiches, miso soup sachets (check they're fish free), couscous (assuming you have a kettle; you can buy ready flavoured stuff or use flavoured oils or stock cubes to give flavour, then add tinned veggies/beans etc.), trail mix, soy pudding pots (don't need to be refridgerated usually). You can also buy single-serve cartons of plain or flavoured soy milk.

I'd probably aim for more snacks and snack-type meals as oppsed to proper meals, it'll be easier in terms of cooking and it doesn't matter if it's less healthy if it's just for a few days.
#6 Old 02-28-2010, 05:24 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by .ghost. View Post

When I've stayed in hospital before we were allowed to keep food in their fridges, do you know if you may be able to that? If you are it might increase the options you have available slightly. (ETA: I was a patient there when using the fridge, not sure what the rules are for family members and stuff.)

There's fridges on the floor, but we have to go through the ER (this isn't a scheduled stay) so it might be 8 hours before we get into a room. I got a couple more soups, microwavable rice, mandarin orange fruit cups, one asian noodle bowl, instant oatmeal, granola bars, and I packed some bananas and apples since they'll keep fine. I'll be able to eat in the cafeteria some, but I don't want to do that more than I have to. Their salad bar is laughable. There's a subway too, but it's pricey.

My mom might come up once we're settled so she might bring some more real food for me.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page