Eating vegan on Jewish holidays? (everything has egg wtf) - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 02-15-2010, 05:46 PM
Veggie Regular

So I'm just wondering if anyone here is jewish/eats at jewish holiday meals? One good thing about jewish foods is that there tend to be a lot of meat free and dairy free foods...unfortunately this does not include fish or eggs I was just invited by a family friend for Passover dinner. However, I have no idea what to do- in the past she's said "There isn't really going to be anything vegetarian so you should bring something", which personally I find rather rude (why invite someone and then refuse to have anything for them lol?). However there have been things, such as challah (egg bread), potato knishes (contain egg), veggies, matzo. I'll bring something but I don't know if I should tell people NOT to bring things for me?? Any meal suggestions? (fyi, it's supposed to be "unleavened" stuff so no bread or pasta)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 02-15-2010, 05:51 PM
Veggie Regular

I always do well at my aunt's house at Passover, partly because she's aware that there is always at least one vegetarian in her house for dinner, and partly because it's always a potluck; a LOT of people attend every year and so many of them bring vegetarian side dishes. I never go home hungry. So if you're forced into bringing something to a Passover dinner, your best bet would be a vegetable side dish such as sautéed asparagus (a good seasonal choice as asparagus is a spring vegetable) or roasted vegetables (my mother's specialty), or steamed green beans; you get the picture.

*this space not for sale*
#3 Old 02-15-2010, 05:52 PM

It's especially difficult to eat in a Kosher home during passover as a vegan or a vegetarian. Because of the traditional limitations of the holiday most people eat nothing but meat.

What is their tradition and how religious are they? Depending on their tradition it might also be inappropriate to bring rice, corn, peanuts, and legumes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 02-15-2010, 07:19 PM

I would either not go, or bring my own food.

(I don't get why someone would invite you to a dinner, to bring your own food, to sit and eat beside them... it doesn't make sense... but that's just me. I say why not just invite you over to talk?)
#5 Old 02-16-2010, 02:12 AM
Banned

There are loads of vegan passover recipes out there. Most of which are very easy and quick to make.

I would suggest making one or two of the following (especially the Charoset and the 'Chopped Faux Liver Spread') and bring them to the dinner to share with everyone else there. They would see that vegan passover is easy and tasty. http://www.vegcooking.com/passover/

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page