Help need best cheap easy vegan main dish recipes, what are your staples? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 02-10-2010, 05:01 PM

So while I am not strictly vegan or vegetarian I cook and eat mostly vegan. I consider my diet low-meat, low-dairy (so as not to offend anyone with a label) In order to eat this way I need some new staple recipes. What are your easy (preferably vegan or vegan adaptable) recipes that you make each week? For example I have a spicy cauliflower pasta recipe that I make each week that I love. I just need more great recipes. Just so I am not a total "taker" I will start off with my favorite staple recipe (it's cheap for me because I buy a head of cauliflower at my local market for $1.39 a HEAD, not a pound)

Spicy Linguine with Cauliflower in a Tomato Cream Sauce

Serves 6 generously

1 lb linguine

2 Tbsp olive oil

4 garlic cloves, minced

¼ tsp crushed red pepper flakes (or more to taste)

1 large cauliflower, cut into small flowerets (about 7 cups)

1 cup tomato puree

1 cup soy creamer (I have been using soy milk lately)

¼ tsp ground nutmeg

freshly ground black pepper to taste

¼ minced fresh parsley

grated soy Parmesan to taste

Heat olive oil in large skillet over low heat. Add garlic and red pepper flakes and cook about 2 minutes. Dont let the garlic brown. Stir in cauliflower and toss to coat well. Pour in 1/3 cup water and cover the pan. Cook 10 minutes or until the cauliflower is tender but not mushy. Remove cover and toss occasionally.

Make pasta according to directions.

Mix together tomato puree, cream, nutmeg and pepper. Pour over cauliflower and toss well. Bring to a boil, then turn off the heat.

Drain linguine in a colander. Place some linguine on each plate. Spoon the sauce, then garnish with parsley and Parmesan.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 02-10-2010, 05:12 PM
Veggie Regular

I like making mini pizzas on english muffins (or tortillas) - halve the english muffin, spread on some pizza sauce or tomato paste, top with whatever toppings you want (peppers, mushrooms, sweet potato, whatever) and bake at 350-400 degrees for ten minutes, or until warm and veggies are cooked. Sometimes i put soy cheese on too.
#3 Old 02-10-2010, 06:02 PM

Thanks dancingvegan, that is another of our staples. I use 100% whole wheat pitas and make pizza once a week. I even started making my kids pizza with it and they aren't even complaining anymore (they won't eat the whole wheat pitas alone, only as pizza). Mmmmm....I am getting hungry!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 02-10-2010, 09:33 PM
Veggie Regular

Just as a heads up, this forum is for vegetarians, not people who eat mostly a vegetarian diet. So it's against the rules to post here if you still eat meat and aren't seriously trying to give it up. Just thought I should tell you that before a mod got here.

don't take my life away, don't take my life away.
#5 Old 02-11-2010, 09:45 AM

I am very supportive of the vegetarian (mostly vegan) lifestyle and I could have lied and said I am vegetarian but I can't. I am trying to build up my recipes so that I have good vegan meals I can feed my family. I am looking for vegan support. If I can't find it in this community where can I go?
#6 Old 02-11-2010, 10:03 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddbovine View Post

I am very supportive of the vegetarian (mostly vegan) lifestyle and I could have lied and said I am vegetarian but I can't. I am trying to build up my recipes so that I have good vegan meals I can feed my family. I am looking for vegan support. If I can't find it in this community where can I go?

Sounds to me as if you're in the right place I'd check out the Food Forums on this board, they're full of tasty recipes.

My Vegan Food Blog:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#7 Old 02-11-2010, 10:19 AM
Veggie Regular

I think it is great that you are trying to cook more vegan dishes.. But if you enjoy and are open to a vegetarian diet, why do you need to eat meat at all (I am really not trying to attack you), I was just curious? Anyway, this is my favourite vegan recipe (sorry it is not from a recipe book) so I hope it is not too unclear:

600 grams fresh spinach leaves (preferably the wild spinach you can get at the healthstore)

a packet of tofu

8-10 mushrooms

2 red chillis

4 cloves garlic

about 3 cm of fresh, grated garlic

a packet of soba noodles (the kind for soup)

2 tablespoons Japanese soy sauce (less salty one0

1 tablespoon ketjap manis

1 tablespoon sesame oil

1 litre of vegetable stock

2 teaspoons sugar

For the marinade: 2 tablespoons Japanese soy sauce, 1 tablespoon ketjap manis, 1 tablespoon sesame oil

Cut tofu in cubes and then marinate in a bowl with 2 tablespoons of soy sauce, 1 tablespoon of ketjap manis and 1 tablespoon of sesame oil. Allow to marinate for 30 minutes. Then heat oil in wok and then add garlic, chilli and ginger. Then add tofu and marinade and fry for 5 minutes. In the meantime put soba noodles in boiling water and allow to cook for approximately 6 minutes. When the noodles are done, drain and then rinse with cold water and divide among two soup bowls. Add mushrooms to tofu (after tofu has been wokked for 5 minutes) and then after about two minutes, add spinach. While spinach is cooking, make vegetable stock with vegetable stock cubes and a litre of water. When spinach is done, add: 2 tablespoons soy sauce, 1 tablespoon ketjap manis, 1 tablespoon sesame oil to tofu, mushroom and spinach mixture. Stir and then add two teaspoons of sugar. When vegetables are done, add first vegetable stock to noodles in the soup bowls till noodles are covered. Then add vegetable mixture to noodle and broth and voila: you have two delicious vegan noodle soup Japanese style.
#8 Old 02-11-2010, 10:22 AM
Veggie Regular

We totally had this as an entree yesterday:

http://veganyumyum.com/2009/05/chili-almond-asparagus/

Along with this:

http://wednesdaychef.typepad.com/the...la-bladib.html

And this:

(chopped avocado and tomato on homemade tortillas with mock sour cream)

Try it, you'll buy it.
#9 Old 02-11-2010, 01:49 PM

Kellye That asparagus recipe looks great. We definitely have our share of guacamole and pico de gallo here. They are not just a staple but an essential. I love making fajitas with onions peppers and mushrooms and some pico de gallo seasoning and some pinto beans. Heavenly!

Dutchvegan - I know I don't need to eat meat I have gone over a year vegan. I am trying to eat better for my health and the environment and I probably only have meat once every 2 months and dairy maybe once a month, usually if we go out or to a potluck. I have found that I don't really care for it much. I used to live off chicken and now it is gross. I have read enough vegan literature and watched enough movies to know that we can all live without it. I am sure I will be vegetarian someday. I am just not going to lie about it (like vegetarians who eat fish???, right!).

Sorry though this is supposed to be about food. Dutchvegan, that recipe looks good, but I have never heard of ketjap manis, but it sounds like it is available at an Asian market. I will have to give it a try.

Thanks and keep the recipes coming so we can all benefit.
#10 Old 02-11-2010, 01:59 PM
Veggie Regular

Ketjap manis is an Indonesian soy based sauce - it's sweet. In the Netherlands you can get it in the supermarket but maybe where you are from, you have to go to an Asian supermarket.. I hope you it is available to you as this recipe does kind of need it.
#11 Old 02-11-2010, 05:14 PM

It shouldn't be a problem locating it as I have a large Asian market 5 minutes from my house and a vegetarian Indian restaurant that has a grocery attached to it about 10 min from home. Thanks I am looking forward to shopping for some new foods on Sunday!
#12 Old 02-11-2010, 05:49 PM
Super Moderator

This ones cheap and easy, and almost always found on the shelf and the refridgerator:

Can of black beans, drained and rinsed

about 1 1/2 cups frozen corn, dethawed ( or a can)

2 cucumbers chopped

1/2 a red onion

large bell pepper

1 shredded carrot

chopped tomato

Pretty much whatever, but this salad bowl is so good.

drizzle of olive oil and lemon juice or vinegar

Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good
#13 Old 02-11-2010, 07:12 PM
Veggie Regular

I'm a big mac 'n cheeze fan, which might go over well with your kids, too. I usually use this recipe. I don't make it often because I live in Japan and have to ration things like nutritional yeast, but I'd make it daily if I could! I often add canned peas, too, and in the summer I put chopped tomatoes on top.

I also really recommend the book "La Dolce Vegan." It's got a fabulous quinoa-lentil stew recipe in it. I've had good luck with the recipes from that book so far. I make it almost weekly (except now, because I'm out of apple cider vinegar ).

This lady has some nice recipes, too, at It Ain't Meat, Babe.

One thing I make FAR too often (like, multiple times a week) is just a quick soup. I put udon, pre-cooked kabocha (japanese pumpkin), leeks and fried tofu (abura age, it's very flat and I wash it in hot water first because it's oily) on to boil, and then near the end I'll throw in some chopped tomatoes. After turning off the heat I'll put in some miso. Voila! Fast, tasty, filling, and warms you up quite well when you live in an uninsulated building and it's freezing outside.
#14 Old 02-12-2010, 06:34 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
I don't make it often because I live in Japan

I lived in Japan 10 years ago for a year - I loved it!! It's a great place and Japanese food is my favourite food in the whole world (quite vegan friendly as well I thought)

Quote:
One thing I make FAR too often (like, multiple times a week) is just a quick soup. I put udon, pre-cooked kabocha (japanese pumpkin), leeks and fried tofu (abura age, it's very flat and I wash it in hot water first because it's oily) on to boil, and then near the end I'll throw in some chopped tomatoes. After turning off the heat I'll put in some miso. Voila! Fast, tasty, filling, and warms you up quite well when you live in an uninsulated building and it's freezing outside.

Sounds absolutely delicious!! I kow I make my vegetable and soba soup far too often as well!!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page