it's my veganniversary - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 02-01-2010, 06:41 AM
Beginner

Feb 1 last year I gave up meat and dairy for "one month" in order to clean up my diet. I had finished an Ironman in '08 and my post race "feeding" had gotten out of control. I figured one month of a vegan diet would fix me right up.

I felt so much better on a vegan diet that I never gave it up. So here I am, one year later, still an endurance athlete (I did a 50 mile run in fall '09), still not eating meat or dairy.

This year, 2010, I plan to do another Ironman. Currently my diet is low-gluten, high-raw... loving it!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 02-01-2010, 06:48 AM
Veggie Regular

Holy mackeral!! That's impressive! Congrats.

and Happy Anniversary
#3 Old 02-01-2010, 09:35 AM
Veggie Regular

Congratulations!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 02-01-2010, 09:40 AM
Veggie Regular

Way to go!!!
#5 Old 02-01-2010, 10:03 AM
Veggie Regular

I'm glad you stuck with it!

Your body thanks you!
#6 Old 02-01-2010, 10:24 AM
Veggie Regular

Congrats!!!
#7 Old 02-01-2010, 10:37 AM
Beginner

I was a vegetarian for 8 years when I was young but I never really got the health benefit until I got off dairy too. I was super surprised by how I felt. I figured it would be the same as being veggie, but it was so much different... I can't imagine going back.

Thanks for the support here on VB.
#8 Old 02-01-2010, 11:59 AM
Veggie Regular

Congratulations!!!! That's incredible and inspiring!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~~v~~ View Post

Feb 1 last year I gave up meat and dairy for "one month" in order to clean up my diet. I had finished an Ironman in '08 and my post race "feeding" had gotten out of control. I figured one month of a vegan diet would fix me right up.

I felt so much better on a vegan diet that I never gave it up. So here I am, one year later, still an endurance athlete (I did a 50 mile run in fall '09), still not eating meat or dairy.

This year, 2010, I plan to do another Ironman. Currently my diet is low-gluten, high-raw... loving it!

#9 Old 02-02-2010, 09:44 AM
Veggie Regular

That is amazing. A co-worker here is vegan and an Ironman triathlete. I don't know how long she's been vegan or a triathlete, but it's been longer than I have been a vegan and that's about 3 years. From what I have heard, she's really really good...makes top 3's on a regular basis. I am always amazed at triathletes! You ppl are crazy (in a good way)! One of my best friends did the Hawaii Ultraman and came in fifth. I would be really really interested to know how your vegan diet effects your training and race outcomes....maybe I can talk my friend into trying a vegan diet to enhance his race outcomes too!

Congratulations on your veganniversary!!
#10 Old 02-02-2010, 01:24 PM
Beginner

As far as vegan & endurance sports, I haven't tried the iron distance on a vegan diet yet, but I ran the 50 with no GI problems which is unusual for a full day of solid exercise. Also, I did a 6 mile swim last season with no GI issues. No energy loss, ether. On the 50 I ate dates and bananas with Hammer Endurolytes supplements as needed. Did the trick.

Last night I had braised eggplant with tofu over brown rice and later had a giant smoothie with banana, strawberry, orange, spinach, flax, and hemp protein. mmmm.... that's a celebration right there.
#11 Old 02-02-2010, 02:26 PM
Veggie Regular

Congrats!! That is so exciting..

Oh, and I think the drink in your avatar looks delish!
#12 Old 02-02-2010, 09:39 PM

i was wondring do vegans get the same glow as rawfoodis
#13 Old 02-04-2010, 09:40 AM
Beginner

IMO, raw foods forces you to eat a "clean" diet whereas there are plenty of processed/junk options that are vegan. I know when I am eating a clean vegan diet (all whole foods/ some cooked) or a raw diet, I feel great. French fries and Oreos, while being vegan, don't make me feel very good at all.
#14 Old 02-05-2010, 07:47 PM
Veggie Regular

congrats! I had my 8 year vegetarian anniversary on the same day, and to celebrate I went vegan

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page