Vegan Cheese and Weight Loss - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 01-28-2010, 01:28 PM

Im sure that this question has been asked many times before but what are some of the vegan cheese that you guys use? I'm vegetarian right now and I want to go vegan but I LOVE cheese...I"m also trying to lose weight by counting calories and exercise and I'm curious if vegan foods are pretty low cal? obviously theyre healthier anyway...but i just dont have a lot of knowledge on the subject...

forever grateful for your help,

Taylor
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 01-28-2010, 02:36 PM
Veggie Regular

I use Vegan Gourmet from Follow Your Heart. I only use it when I make pizza. The thing about vegan cheese is that it only kind of reminds you of cheese. I think that cheese is kind of addictive and the longer you go without it, the less you miss it.

Vegan food can be either low cal or high cal depending on how you make it. Even vegans need to remember moderation.
#3 Old 01-28-2010, 03:20 PM

thanks amhappy1 ill try it! i have tried their "vegenaise" and its really good!

i guess youre right about the calorie thing...i think im just one of those people that needs a "its ok you can do it-it wont kill you!" before i try something new lol
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 01-28-2010, 03:28 PM
Veggie Regular

Going vegan to lose weight is a good route. I lost 20 lbs in four months switching from vegetarian to vegan.

I used rice cheese for a while to make the transition to a vegan diet. Now-a-days I hardly ever eat the fake

cheese, it took three months, but I don't care for the flavor of cheese anymore.
#5 Old 01-28-2010, 03:30 PM
Veggie Regular

It's okay, it won't kill you! Give it a try . I like vegan cheese (mainly follow your heart also) but there's also teese, daiya, and cheese singles similar to kraft singles. (But check the ingredients only a few are vegan). There's also ways to make "cheese" out of nutritional yeast or cashews.
#6 Old 01-28-2010, 08:39 PM

test...seeing if my weight loss ticker works
#7 Old 01-29-2010, 12:29 PM
Veggie Regular

I've noticed that vegan cheeses only stack up marginally better than conventional cheeses. They are close enough that the only win is in saturated fat (slight), and cholesterol.
#8 Old 01-30-2010, 09:51 AM
Veggie Regular

I've heard Follow your Heart and Daiya are the best. Daiya is a great melter, you can find it on Cosmos Vegan Shoppe online and Food Fight online ( I believe). Also, there are books that teach you how to make your own from scratch (someone mentioned to me The Uncheese Book for that. However, that being said, a lot of people can gain weight by finding replacements and still eating like they used to. It's good that you're following other healthy steps, but you may want to maybe limit cheese to a day a week, just so you can get your fix and still see results. Another way to get off the real desire for dairy is through more education about the dairy industry (that's what helps me not give back in...that and discovering my lactose intolerance). Try looking at CNN's sister network, HLN's site under Jane V. Mitchell's page, she has shown loads of videos on her news segment about this, even some "Organic Farms" and ofcourse Peta has an eye-full. The books Skinny ***** (now has a dude version), The Kind Diet, Eating animals, and The China Study might help curb your appetite and the new documentary film, Food, Inc.. Skinny ***** is both eye-opening and hilariously and soberly written and [I]The Kind Diet[I] is written with an open mind and heart and is exactly what it says- KIND. I loved both of those, they might be of great help for you on your journey. Best of luck! If it makes you feel inspired- I never lost weight and gained, despite healthy eating and vigorous exercise, when I became Vegan I lost 25 lbs. in less than two months. That never happened in my life! I did not eat replacements, though, however, I did eat a couple of pieces of Babycakes treats that I baked and still saw those results. I hope the same happens for you! Cheers ")

Quote:
Originally Posted by TScott View Post

Im sure that this question has been asked many times before but what are some of the vegan cheese that you guys use? I'm vegetarian right now and I want to go vegan but I LOVE cheese...I"m also trying to lose weight by counting calories and exercise and I'm curious if vegan foods are pretty low cal? obviously theyre healthier anyway...but i just dont have a lot of knowledge on the subject...

forever grateful for your help,

Taylor

#9 Old 02-02-2010, 10:08 AM

Oh no!!!! I just had some veggie slices and realized that it contains casein. god I hate when I find out something I like is not vegan ;( i feel so dirty now.
#10 Old 02-02-2010, 01:28 PM
Beginner

I like nutritional yeast, especially on green salads with a splash of balsamic vinegar.

In general, I have found vegan cheese to be lacking.

FWIW, I started losing weight when I switched to a mostly raw diet. You may want to consider incorporating more raw foods and staying away from processed foods like cheese substitutes if your goal is weight loss.
#11 Old 02-02-2010, 02:53 PM
Banned

You can't be vegan and eat cheese as "vegan cheese" just isn't cheese. So if you really want to be vegan, you'll have to forget your love of cheese.

If you want to lose weight, just eat five tiny meals each day (snack size), don't touch anything with fat (except some nuts and healthy oils), sugar, and also don't eat bread or anything like it and try to put up with your cravings and the weight will drop off.
#12 Old 02-02-2010, 03:20 PM
Veggie Regular

I would reccommend going cold turkey with cheese. I was totally addicted to cheese, loved the stuff. Then one day I bit the bullet and didn´t eat it. Now I don´t miss it at all and its been a year. Recently I have been travelling South America and have had cheese a few times while here (I have found it impossible to avoid here) and I didn´t even enjoy it. So 1 year on I can say that I have broken the addiction..... and going back to being vegan in a few days when I get home is going to be a welcome relief!

Once you stop missing dairy cheese then try fake cheese and it might hit the spot. So many people find its not a good substitute though so try without until you forget the flavour. Then vegan cheese might be ok. Thats what happened for me anyway.
#13 Old 02-05-2010, 07:20 AM
Veggie Regular

I think Daiya is essentially indistinguishable from dairy cheese (maybe not your favorite dairy cheese but it would pass for it). However every single brand of vegan cheese I know is essentially all fat and extremely high calories...but then thats what dairy cheese is too.

Quote:
You can't be vegan and eat cheese as "vegan cheese" just isn't cheese.

i see you havent had daiya
#14 Old 02-05-2010, 08:33 AM
Veggie Regular

Isn't daiya just available for food service? Not in grocery stores, correct?
#15 Old 02-05-2010, 08:39 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamato View Post

Isn't daiya just available for food service? Not in grocery stores, correct?

It can be ordered online and its available in specialty stores.

http://www.daiyafoods.com/where.html i buy it from stickyfingers in dc...apparently some whole foods have it
#16 Old 02-09-2010, 07:19 PM
Beginner

It's lower calories and fat and stuff, but it's still processed like crazy, so it's not the healthiest.

But that's just me.
#17 Old 02-14-2010, 10:12 AM
Super Moderator

I gave up dairy ingrediants before giving up cheese. I also suggest you stay away from subsitutes at least in the beginning. You need to reprogram your taste buds, I think.

There are many "cheze" type things made with nuts. I made a spread with raw cashews that definitly replaces cheese spreads for me. I don't even know if it tastes like cheese spread, I just know I like it with crackers, on bread with tomato slice, and mixed with hot pasta.

Soak 1 cup raw cashews overnight with enough water to cover them.

3 t. olive oil

3 T. coconut oil or earth balance margaring ( I used margarine)

4 cloves garlic or to taste

3 T. lemon juice

Puree all in a food processor

It's like hummus but different.

Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good
#18 Old 02-14-2010, 11:24 AM
Veggie Regular

One of the major appealing "flavors" of cheese is the fat, and that tends to be copied a lot in the more complex cheese substitutes. If you're trying to lose weight, I would definitely recommend nutritional yeast, which imparts a vaguely cheddaresque flavor to foods (if you get ahold of a good NY), but does not really impart any other properties of cheese such as texture or stringiness. Here's nutrition information for 2 Tbsp of nutritional yeast: http://www.bulkfoods.com/nutritional_yeast.htm Please note that this gives you a general idea. The nutrients, particularly B-12, vary. B-12 is supplemented to nutritional yeast and not naturally occurring.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page