Cheese [allergy-safe vegan cheese alternatives required] - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 01-27-2010, 08:35 AM
Veggie Regular

Hiya! Does anyone know any Cheeses that are not only Vegan, but also Gluten and Yeast Free? I cannot have any of the Vegan ones I've found due to Celiac Disease and an allergy to yeast. I cannot have lactose from Soy either.I found a recipe' that teaches you how to make Vegan almond cheese, but it calls for yeast. I don't know how to substitute it out either. Although I don't need to eat cheese this moment, I will have to at some point in time- I love it, so help would be grand. Daiya is the only closest one I found, but alas, it has inactive yeast, so no luck there.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 01-27-2010, 10:59 AM
Veggie Regular

Wow, I cannot really help you but I'm sorry. Maybe you could make a cheese styled sauce but not use nutritional yeast?

“May all sentient beings be free of pain and suffering.  May all sentient beings experience eternal joy and happiness.  gate gate pāragate pārasaṃgate bodhi svāhā.”
http://www.facebook.com/doktormartini
http://twitter.com/#!/MartyBaureis
http://doktormartini.tumblr.com

#3 Old 01-27-2010, 11:14 AM
Veggie Regular

Miso paste can supply a cheesy taste to homemade cheeses if you can't use yeast, but are ok with soy. Try a few drops of liquid smoke too, if you used to like smoked cheeses. You'll have to experiment with amounts and taste as you go along, since I wouldn't know exactly how much miso will give a similar flavor as a given amount of yeast. Lemon juice can add some tartness too, if you don't actually want to ferment your nut cheeses. You won't get lactose from soy, that only comes from animal milk. But lactic acid may form when fermenting a food, and if you must avoid that, don't ferment your cheeses.

www.thesaucyvegan.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 01-27-2010, 12:57 PM
Beginner

Why not use alternatives like Hummus or Guacamole? Fake cheese usually isn't the most tasty and not the most nutritious substitute... so why not use something that is tasty and nutritious?
#5 Old 01-27-2010, 01:43 PM
Veggie Regular

You could also make fermented seed cheeses. Pumpkin seeds and sunflower seeds make really delicious spreads. Sprout them or soak them, and whirl them into a paste. They are good on their own, but some paprika, turmeric, soy sauce, miso, etc. might be tasty additions.

www.thesaucyvegan.com
#6 Old 01-27-2010, 01:48 PM
Banned

whats wrong with these ones? : http://www.galaxyfoods.com/Products/...ganBlocks.stml

the vinegar in these might rule them out, yeah? : http://www.tofutti.com/cheese-amer.shtml

what is 'lactose from soy'?
#7 Old 01-27-2010, 01:50 PM
Veggie Regular

There's a book called "The Uncheese Book" and also an updated version that has vegan "cheeses" you can make with nuts, beans, etc. Maybe your library has it, so you can see if there are suitable things in there before buying it.

"If you want to know where you would have stood on slavery before the civil war, don't look at where you stand on slavery today, look at where you stand on animal rights." - Paul Watson.

Every animal you eat
was running for her life

#8 Old 01-27-2010, 02:42 PM
Veggie Regular

Thanks everyone for all of the helpful advice! The miso paste sounds like a fun and interesting experiment. As for those other cheeses, I believe some are not gluten free and some are not yeast free, but I will check them out again, I could have misread a label and/or they could have a type that wasn't located at the stores I have searched. I have read there is lactose in some soy products, I don't know why there is (sounds like what someone up there mentioned about the fermenting process), but I have to look to make sure I don't get sick. Also, I would eat guacomole, but the texture has made me gag and vomit every time I've tried it. I will eventually make my own hummus, but right now I have to stay away from vinegar because it will make this last reaction I had worse- I have Candida from anitbiotics I had to be on. I believe if I can figure something out, if I ever have a weak moment or want to make a pizza or something, I will have some alternative to keep me from being tempted to cheat. I'm really strong willed, but not perfect, so I don't know what temptations or down moments I might have in the future- maybe none, I hope.
#9 Old 01-27-2010, 02:48 PM
Veggie Regular

Oh yeah- Thanks also for the book suggestion- I will definitely look for the Uncheese Book, sounds great!
#10 Old 01-27-2010, 02:58 PM
Banned

there is no vinegar in hummus if you make it yourself. chickpeas, lemon juice, olive oil, garlic, spices.

i'm not sure about lactose in soy, i've never heard of it. i know that silken tofu often contains gluco delta lactone (which isn't dairy despite the 'lac-', but is fermented and therefore out if you're on a candida diet).

http://www.ener-g.com/faq/productfaq.aspx#22

are you taking probiotics and doing all that good anti-candida stuff?

there isn't a cheese recipe in it, but you may appreciate The Food Allergy Survival Guide. its got a load of recipes with no wheat, yeast, refined sugar, etc in it- all vegan. including a pizza crust.

http://www.foodallergysurvivalguide.com/

i think the simplest cheese recipe i've seen is unroasted, unsalted almonds or cashews, ground to dust/very fine, put into a little bowl thats been rubbed all over (just the inside of the bowl, yeah?! ) with the inside of a cut garlic clove, with a little lemon juice mixed in, squished to make a paste. it aint bad on crackers. its not 100% cheeseesque, but it does the job.

i've also made a cream cheese in a similar manner- soak unroasted unsalted cashews in a bowl of water till they go soft (overnight is good) then drain that water, and put them in a blender with enough fresh water to make a creamy paste, plus some garlic and lemon juice for a bit of smokiness and tang. i also add herbs, and sometimes add a big chunk of fresh cucumber and make a sort of cucumber yogurty dip. if you freeze that, then microwave it to defrost until its hot, it goes really melty and creamy with a nice crust on the top- sort of like a cauliflower cheese topping.
#11 Old 01-27-2010, 03:20 PM
Veggie Regular

You could eat Dr. Cow cheese and other nut based cheeses. Use herbs and/or red bell peppers for flavoring.
#12 Old 01-28-2010, 08:38 AM
Veggie Regular

Wow- thanks again for all of the great info! I finally (think) I've found that Rice Vegan Slices By Galaxy Foods is yeast, gf, etc. I've never seen those in the store, but found it this time through Cosmo's Vegan Shoppe online. I will definitely try those recipe's and other things out- I enjoy trying to learn things like that and I think working with clay links me to being fascinated with working from scratch to make things, like baking/cooking. As for the other cheese listing- I've never seen that one, so I will search it out, too. Also, yes, I take the Vegan, GF, etc. Candida Cleanse probiotic by Rainbow Light- it's great. I'm just glad that I won't have to follow it for too much longer (I hope), I've had fun being creative, but would love to add some of the fruits and vegetables back in, and so forth. Thanks again ya'll! Cheers BTW- keep it pouring in if you or anyone else can think of anything else.
#13 Old 01-28-2010, 08:44 AM
Banned

where abouts are you in the US? any luck with the 'where to buy' links on the sites? if any of the bigger stores near you sell anything else in those brands lines (the tofutti icecream or creamcheese, the 'veggie' slices, etc) then you've got a startpoint to getting the ones you want stocked- talk to a manager- print out the webpage so they know exactly what you want, and be enthusiastic- customer is king.
#14 Old 01-30-2010, 09:35 AM
Veggie Regular

Hey- I'm in South Carolina. The town I'm currently in is small, so I have to drive out of town and stock up for any specialty Vegan/ Gluten Free, etc items. It's not the most eco-friendly, but family and friends live there and I make a day out of it, so I feel better about the gas (it's not too far and doesn't take a tank for there and back). I figured ordering online is putting gas out there, too and then you pay shipping, so I'm not sure which is the best option. hmmm. However, so far, it's difficult to find a lot of the items, usually it has something I cannot eat. Like I mentioned the GF cheeses they had weren't Vegan and the vegan one had yeast. They still have a lot of other items, so I cannot complain. If I lived somewhere more permanently and shopped at the same grocery store, then I would definitely talk to them. However, I usually eat fresh foods and cook from scratch, so I haven't had the need to yet. Thanks for the advice and positive attitude- I couldn't agree with you more. Cheers

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page