flip to vegan - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 01-24-2010, 06:23 PM

I did the omni > veg (lacto-ovo) switch back in october and have not had any problems or urges to eat meat. I want to further this now by eliminating all animal proteins. My reasons for this are health related the whole way. As is today i can easily drop milk.. i pretty regularly have soy / almond / rice milks anyway. i hate eggs, i usually only ever added raw egg whites to my smoothies for added protein.. but i can get by without it.

My struggle will be Cheese (feta cheese to be specific) and Yogurt. Are there any acceptable substitutes for feta cheese & yogurt? I've tried soy yogurt and it's just awful lol. is that my only option?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 01-24-2010, 06:38 PM
Veggie Regular

If you want something fatty and creamy, look to your avatar picture. Veganism isn't just diet/health related; it's a lifestyle that encompasses clothing choices, personal care and household items, and your entire interaction with other beings.
#3 Old 01-24-2010, 06:39 PM
HNV
Veggie Regular

There's also coconut milk based yogurt (by So Delicious), I've never tried it, but I tried the coconut milk and I wasn't impressed

I would try experimenting with different brands of the soy yogurt. Silk was my favorite at one point in time, but then I tried Wildwood Organics and now I won't eat anything else.

As far as replacing feta cheese, you can try using tofu as a replacer, I find that it works for me with regards to lasagnas and other dishes that would call for feta cheese.

The worst sin toward our fellow creatures is not to hate them, but to be indifferent to them. That is the essence of humanity.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 01-24-2010, 06:47 PM

My fiance has eliminated all of the dairy from his diet and had a very difficult time finding a yogurt that tasted good until we found Wildwood Probiotic Soyogurt. I love it because it is vegan. It's best served with some fresh berries. Here is the website: www.wildwoodfoods.com it's the best we've found so far.
#5 Old 01-24-2010, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by penny79 View Post

Veganism isn't just diet/health related; it's a lifestyle that encompasses clothing choices, personal care and household items, and your entire interaction with other beings.

For me, i'm doing this for diet and my health. Maybe that means i'm not vegan, or a true vegan. i'm not too fussed on that, I'm not really too hung up on labels.
#6 Old 01-25-2010, 04:25 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by smacneill View Post

For me, i'm doing this for diet and my health. Maybe that means i'm not vegan, or a true vegan. i'm not too fussed on that, I'm not really too hung up on labels.

I think that's the way to go.

If you throw around the vegan label everywhere it's probably not going to do you any good.

Soy yogurt takes as much getting used to as soy milk. Try a few different brands and eat it regularly and you'll forget cow yogurt ever existed.
#7 Old 01-25-2010, 05:58 AM
Banned

The only vegan feta cheese I have seen is by Sunergia. It is decent, but do not expect it to taste like feta.
#8 Old 01-25-2010, 06:43 AM
Veggie Regular

There's some good recipes for tofu/cashew ricotta.
#9 Old 01-25-2010, 02:39 PM

I really like So Delicious coconut milk yogurt. It doesn't taste much like yogurt, though. It's more like a creamy treat. Their coconut milk kefir is even better, and tastes a lot like a drinkable yogurt. Both have live/active cultures (not all soy yogurts, do.)

I haven't tried these yet, but I keep hearing great things about Dr. Cow Tree Nut Cheeses. I'm not sure they have a feta cheese per se, but they do have soft white cheeses. You might want to check them out: http://www.dr-cow.com/products/
#10 Old 01-26-2010, 02:10 PM

awesome, thanks everyone. i'm going to try and find these and give em a go.
#11 Old 01-26-2010, 02:23 PM
Beginner

Well there are soy and coconut yogurts out there, they are alright. Theres likely soy-feta as well: But I suggest rather than using those things, just fight to get over it. After a few weeks/months you lose your cravings for these things. There is a chemical in dairy that resembles the addictive drug of morphine which may be why you crave these dairy foods.

I recconmend that you practice a full vegan lifestyle. If you know the suffering animals go through and the impact animal uses have on the planet, then you should drop animal-tested items, and animal skins and fur. It is not like it is a hard thing to do, and it would be doing more good. Just a suggestion.
#12 Old 01-26-2010, 03:21 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by VegPanda View Post

Well there are soy and coconut yogurts out there, they are alright. Theres likely soy-feta as well: But I suggest rather than using those things, just fight to get over it. After a few weeks/months you lose your cravings for these things. There is a chemical in dairy that resembles the addictive drug of morphine which may be why you crave these dairy foods.

I recconmend that you practice a full vegan lifestyle. If you know the suffering animals go through and the impact animal uses have on the planet, then you should drop animal-tested items, and animal skins and fur. It is not like it is a hard thing to do, and it would be doing more good. Just a suggestion.

+1

--
The Twilight Is My Robe

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page