Since I've been vegan, I've felt more inclined to eat meat... - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 01-15-2010, 04:28 PM
Banned

I don't think I could act on this impulse, but since I've been vegan and ostracised from regular society I've felt more like eating meat (but still not milk or eggs which make me feel like vomiting at the thought of them). I'm pretty sure I'd be sick from eating meat too.

Part of this feeling I think is the release from having any responsibility of guilt attached to eating animals, which then clears the way philosophically to feel free to eat anything at all. (Especially in a survival context, to which this world often feels close.)

Anyone had this experience before?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 01-15-2010, 04:38 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by tofusion View Post

Part of this feeling I think is the release from having any responsibility of guilt attached to eating animals, which then clears the way philosophically to feel free to eat anything at all. (Especially in a survival context, to which this world often feels close.)

Anyone had this experience before?

You wouldn't have any guilt if you ate animals? I know I would.

--
The Twilight Is My Robe
#3 Old 01-15-2010, 04:42 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by draconian View Post

You wouldn't have any guilt if you ate animals? I know I would.

That's the thing, I feel purified from that idea. I feel more like anything is game. If I don't eat that cow (not that I want to) maybe she will eat me! This is just purely some kind of primal thing I think... guilt is too intellectual to be involved with this sensation.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 01-15-2010, 04:50 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

That's the thing, I feel purified from that idea. I feel more like anything is game. If I don't eat that cow (not that I want to) maybe she will eat me! This is just purely some kind of primal thing I think... guilt is too intellectual to be involved with this sensation.

sounds like someone needs some naked cow-wrestling!

--
The Twilight Is My Robe
#5 Old 01-15-2010, 05:15 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by draconian View Post

sounds like someone needs some naked cow-wrestling!

I guess you don't know what I'm talking about then.
#6 Old 01-15-2010, 05:37 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

I guess you don't know what I'm talking about then.

Me either. You need to articulate what you mean in clearer terms if you're hoping for a response. Right now I can make no sense of your statements.
#7 Old 01-15-2010, 05:43 PM
Veggie Regular

You feel free to eat meat because you haven't been eating meat?
#8 Old 01-15-2010, 05:48 PM
Herbivorous Urchin

Quote:

Wait, What?

Quote:
"You will always be fond of me. I represent to you all the sins you never had the courage to commit.”
Oscar Wilde, The Picture of Dorian Gray
#9 Old 01-15-2010, 05:50 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyricGaia View Post

Wait, What?

What, what?
#10 Old 01-15-2010, 05:52 PM
Herbivorous Urchin

Quote:

What, what?

I could have swore you said you felt like a cow might try to hurt you

Quote:
"You will always be fond of me. I represent to you all the sins you never had the courage to commit.”
#11 Old 01-15-2010, 05:54 PM
Banned

Quote:

I could have swore you said you felt like a cow might try to hurt you

Unlikely, they are "gentle creatures".
#12 Old 01-15-2010, 05:55 PM
Veggie Regular

I know there must be a point in there somewhere.........hmmmmmmmmmmmm
#13 Old 01-15-2010, 05:56 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

So then just what the heck are you on about then? You're making no sense at all.
#14 Old 01-15-2010, 05:56 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treehugger267 View Post

I know there must be a point in there somewhere.........hmmmmmmmmmmmm

I'm beginning to doubt that.
#15 Old 01-15-2010, 05:59 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by junglist View Post

I'm beginning to doubt that.

How did you become or decided to become vegan?

I'll explain it in your terms...
#16 Old 01-15-2010, 06:02 PM
Herbivorous Urchin

Quote:

Hence my bein' confused at what you were saying.

Quote:
#17 Old 01-15-2010, 06:10 PM
Banned

Quote:

Hence my bein' confused at what you were saying.

I was speaking of a metaphoric cow-human duel. I wasn't tying that specific thing into anything which would actually happen!

So anyway, I was talking about the removal of any kind of higher intellectual attachment to your dietary/life choices which then opens up the potential for anything to happen.

eg. If there were anarchy in the world, would the concept of theft still exist (where there were objects which you wanted that weren't necessarily attached to a person/group)?

How does that anarchy/freedom work in one's diet?
#18 Old 01-15-2010, 06:18 PM
Herbivorous Urchin

Sorry

But, I was wondering why you would want to remove any intellectual attachment to anything? I still remember how much I LOVED beef jerky, it was my favorite food. The concept of theft works in an anarchist world because humans are moralistic animals, we think in terms of right and wrong. I would think it was wrong if you stole my macbook, and i would think it was wrong if cows were tortured to make my jerky. If i understood your question right, that is.

Quote:
#19 Old 01-15-2010, 06:21 PM
Veggie Regular

I think we need Nagemurut to make sense of this thread, too bad he was banned.

"and I stand

upon a mountain

made of weak and useless men"

#20 Old 01-15-2010, 06:34 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sevenseas View Post

I think we need Nagemurut to make sense of this thread, too bad he was banned.

Trying to balance the obviously required element of humour/mockery of everything with anything that goes beyond complaining in any of these discussion is difficult if you aren't used to this whole internet thing.

What is it that you don't understand?
#21 Old 01-15-2010, 06:46 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

What is it that you don't understand?

1) What a "metaphoric duel" is, and especially: what it has to do with the real world in which one's dietary/lifestyle choices occur.

2a) What "removal of any kind of higher intellectual attachment to your dietary/life choices" means.

b) Why you think (apparently) that "higher intellectual attachment" needs to have anything to do with morality.

3) How viewing something non-intellectually "opens up the potential for anything to happen".

4) What any of this has to do with anarchy/freedom, and whether you think anarchy/freedom is somehow non-intellectual.

5) What the question "How does that anarchy/freedom work in one's diet?" means.

"and I stand

upon a mountain

#22 Old 01-15-2010, 06:59 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sevenseas View Post

1) What a "metaphoric duel" is, and especially: what it has to do with the real world in which one's dietary/lifestyle choices occur.

Hmm, that was in response to someone else's post.

2a) What "removal of any kind of higher intellectual attachment to your dietary/life choices" means.

Would you eat the same way if all your intellectual capacities were removed, ie. you were a "vegetable".

b) Why you think (apparently) that "higher intellectual attachment" needs to have anything to do with morality.

Do you believe morality is innate?

3) How viewing something non-intellectually "opens up the potential for anything to happen".

Without a defined set of rules which have resulted from intellect, there are no rules.

4) What any of this has to do with anarchy/freedom, and whether you think anarchy/freedom is somehow non-intellectual.

The concepts of anarchy and freedom are clearly intellectual, so I guess you have to intellectually consider something in a non-intellectual manner... that's up to you to decide if that is possible.

5) What the question "How does that anarchy/freedom work in one's diet?" means.

I think this has already been explained. (Answering question 5. The whole quoting thing hasn't quite seemed to work...)
#23 Old 01-15-2010, 07:02 PM
Veggie Regular

This thread is doomed.
#24 Old 01-15-2010, 07:06 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Would you eat the same way if all your intellectual capacities were removed, ie. you were a "vegetable".

If I was a "vegetable", I don't think I'd be eating at all. . .

Quote:
Do you believe morality is innate?

I dunno. I do think it's not just a matter of concepts and beliefs, but also of feelings/experiences. I would agree though that if someone had no understanding of anything, they wouldn't have an understanding of moral norms either. What this has to do with you or anyone else eating meat, I don't know.

Quote:

Without a defined set of rules which have resulted from intellect, there are no rules.

Even a plant, which has no intellect, is constrained by many rules (or rather, natural laws).

Quote:

The concepts of anarchy and freedom are clearly intellectual, so I guess you have to intellectually consider something in a non-intellectual manner... that's up to you to decide if that is possible.

*phones Nagemurut*

"and I stand

upon a mountain

#25 Old 01-15-2010, 07:09 PM
Banned

Quote:

This thread is doomed.

Clearly.
#26 Old 01-15-2010, 07:10 PM
Herbivorous Urchin

Quote:

This thread is doomed.

It's like watching the titanic sink while on the disney cruise boat some miles away.

Quote:
#27 Old 01-15-2010, 07:25 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

I was speaking of a metaphoric cow-human duel. I wasn't tying that specific thing into anything which would actually happen!

So anyway, I was talking about the removal of any kind of higher intellectual attachment to your dietary/life choices which then opens up the potential for anything to happen.

eg. If there were anarchy in the world, would the concept of theft still exist (where there were objects which you wanted that weren't necessarily attached to a person/group)?

How does that anarchy/freedom work in one's diet?

Taking a stab. . .

If there were anarchy in the world, theft would still exist. Anarchy does not preclude a person's sense of ownership, so if you took Lyric's MacBook, she would perceive it as theft even if we did not have a word for it. Lacking laws does not change the morality of an action, either. If murder were legal, many people would still be opposed to it because they find something inherently wrong with it.

I think I see what you are TRYING to say. If there were no moral ground to be vegetarian, why do it? If we were not concerned with the environment, or our health - if we had no greater reason to be vegetarian than simply to do it, we would not be vegetarian, I THINK is what you're trying to say? To that I say, we would not be human, and life is meaningless. It is my higher intellectual attachment - and the choices I make based on that, and what I value more, etc, - that makes me not only human, but exactly who I am as opposed to you or anyone else on these forums.

Being free to eat anything hardly seems worth that.
#28 Old 01-15-2010, 07:28 PM
Veggie Regular

I keep looking at this thread thinking "Not eating meat because it's not okay makes me feel like it's okay to eat meat" will eventually make sense.

I think that's one of the signs of insanity, innit?

Great.
#29 Old 01-15-2010, 07:34 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Sorry

But, I was wondering why you would want to remove any intellectual attachment to anything? I still remember how much I LOVED beef jerky, it was my favorite food. The concept of theft works in an anarchist world because humans are moralistic animals, we think in terms of right and wrong. I would think it was wrong if you stole my macbook, and i would think it was wrong if cows were tortured to make my jerky. If i understood your question right, that is.

^^ What this person said. Best part of this thread... Awesome.

And Macbooks for the win (I've got a 13in Pro)!! (Sorry, not trying to start a Mac vs. PC war) ..

ANYWAY, are you trying to say that by eating meat you don't have to really think about your diet because eating meat is acceptable in society? So if you ate meat, you're "releasing" any connection to what you eat?

I'm not even sure if what I just said makes sense, but yea.
#30 Old 01-15-2010, 07:36 PM
Herbivorous Urchin

Quote:
Originally Posted by auroraglare View Post

^^ What this person said. Best part of this thread... Awesome.

And Macbooks for the win (I've got a 13in Pro)!! (Sorry, not trying to start a Mac vs. PC war) ..

ANYWAY, are you trying to say that by eating meat you don't have to really think about your diet because eating meat is acceptable in society? So if you ate meat, you're "releasing" any connection to what you eat?

I'm not even sure if what I just said makes sense, but yea.

I do too! Leopard OSX I got it on my birthday, right when the new ones came out.

Quote:

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page