Mock Meats? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 01-14-2010, 03:34 PM
Veggie Regular

Hey vegans! So I've been asking around to some people, but I figured I'd just post a thread here and ask you all officially.

So after I found out that so many mock meats have eggs in them (egg whites etc).. I've been wondering how vegans eat mock meat. I learned with some help from a fellow vegetarian here on VB that many vegans make their own mock meats or don't eat much of it.

I've been veg for about a month but in a week or so I'm gonna try to become a strict vegetarian (no eggs, milk or cheese, as I'm sure you all know), but until then I'm trying to gather some info and "practice" cutting out dairy products. I'm not really sure if being a strict veg is gonna work for me, mostly cuz I'm a college student and everything at the cafeteria is..blegh, there's just too much meat and not enough veggie options, and no doubt everything has dairy in it. I'm gonna try not to let that stop me, I bought a vegan college cookbook with really simple recipes that only need a microwave or that can be made without a microwave, so I'm gonna try to work off of that (if I have enough room in my mini fridge..)

Anyway, so I've been test tasting a lot of mock meats and I like so many of them! Some of them I like, some I don't...but I think its so cool that you can eat yummy food that an animal didnt have to die for. I know a lot of veg*ns hate mock meat or don't believe in them (and I respect that) but I like a lot of them so I don't want to cut them out, is it ok for veggies to like mock meat?...

I was just wondering what vegans eat as far as mock meats/if you eat them and if there is such a thing as healthy mock meat... I know it's all processed and I need to eat healthy as a veg*n so I can continue to lose weight (I've already lost 74 lbs!)

Thanks for anything you can offer.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 01-14-2010, 03:55 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by auroraglare View Post

I've been wondering how vegans eat mock meat. I learned with some help from a fellow vegetarian here on VB that many vegans make their own mock meats or don't eat much of it.

I just don't eat that stuff.

--
The Twilight Is My Robe
#3 Old 01-14-2010, 03:55 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

I was just wondering what vegans eat as far as mock meats/if you eat them and if there is such a thing as healthy mock meat...

I really really like seitan, which is pretty healthy also.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 01-14-2010, 04:40 PM
HNV
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Hey vegans! So I've been asking around to some people, but I figured I'd just post a thread here and ask you all officially.

So after I found out that so many mock meats have eggs in them (egg whites etc).. I've been wondering how vegans eat mock meat. I learned with some help from a fellow vegetarian here on VB that many vegans make their own mock meats or don't eat much of it.

I was just wondering what vegans eat as far as mock meats/if you eat them and if there is such a thing as healthy mock meat... I know it's all processed and I need to eat healthy as a veg*n so I can continue to lose weight (I've already lost 74 lbs!)

Thanks for anything you can offer.

I buy the mock meats that are specifically labeled vegan. There's really only two mock meats that I like. The original boca burgers, and the GardenBurger vegan cutlet.

The worst sin toward our fellow creatures is not to hate them, but to be indifferent to them. That is the essence of humanity.
#5 Old 01-14-2010, 06:11 PM
Veggie Regular

There are actually quite a few mock meats made to include vegans so just look out for the label. Otherwise learning to make seitan is useful. You can also buy it in cans and frozen in asian supermarkets. Although that will be more processed and less healthy. I think the key is everything in moderation, so stick to mock meats a couple of times a week at the most and you should be fine. Try eating beans in place of meat, ie in chili, in lasagne as beans are super healthy. Lentils are also great, casserole or in soups etc. As cooking is limited that might make it a bit harder but you can buy beans in cans that have been cooked and just need to be heated.

Also liking mock meats is totally fine. It all depends on why you are choosing to become vegan. I always liked certain meats and gave up meat for ethical reasons (both animal rights and environmental) so like you I quite enjoy mock meats. For people who gave up meat for other reasons it can be a bit of a gross concept and some people just avoid them so that they aren´t tempted to eat actual meat. I have found that the more time I spend eating vegan the less I resort to mock meats as I have found many many other dishes that I love that don´t call for any mock meat. Just see where time takes you and don´t stress it too much.
#6 Old 01-14-2010, 06:27 PM

Quote:

I know a lot of veg*ns hate mock meat or don't believe in them (and I respect that) but I like a lot of them so I don't want to cut them out, is it ok for veggies to like mock meat?...

relax, its ok to eat fake meat for every person on vb that says they dont like fake meat, theres probably 2 others that say they do.
#7 Old 01-14-2010, 06:57 PM
Banned

The only one I eat is Linda McCartney's vegan sausages but not really because they're *mock meat*. I never really like sausages when I was an omni and I don't really think they taste that much like meat, I just like them. (Plus they're really easy to get hold of and have 11 and something grams of protein per sausage, so if I have two of them in a sandwich it's nearly 28g of protein which leaves me only 17g to get from my other meals of the day... Not bad..)

I don't count tofu as mock meat although some people do
#8 Old 01-14-2010, 07:08 PM

I am a new strict vegetarian as well ( I don't say vegan yet because I haven't been great about avoiding trace dairy in some prepared products but I'm working on it). I am actually strict about my mock meats. I make most of them myself. I agree with the others, don't feel bad about resorting to mock meats. If you like the textures and if they get you through, then I think using them is fine. Vegan Boca Burgers are a great sub and actually taste great in the microwave. Try cutting them up also to put them in different recipes too. Another option may be to get a toaster oven if you can have one. Also, though they are truly expensive, Whole Foods and Harris Teeter carry Gardein products which do pretty well in microwave. Good Luck to you on this journey.
#9 Old 01-14-2010, 07:20 PM

I keep things like veggie dogs and Boca/Amy burgers patties in my freezer for emergencies.

Usually, I make my own mock meat. I just made some chorizos (the hard kind, not Mexican mince) a few weeks ago for various recipes. I knew everything that went inside them and it was tasty in my Macanese Portuguese stew.
#10 Old 01-14-2010, 07:30 PM
Veggie Regular

I love mock meats. I had a big splurge on them in a supermarket the other day and bought heaps of them cos I can't always get hold of the vegan ones at my local supermarket.

m8itcanw8.com
#11 Old 01-14-2010, 08:46 PM
Veggie Regular

I know microwaving is your option now, but if you can get occasional cooktop/oven access, try the frozen Gardein Protein entrees. Chick'n Scallopini is delicious and Marinara Chick'n has vegan Daiya cheese in the stuffing.

Keep on freepin' on

#12 Old 01-14-2010, 11:01 PM
Veggie Regular

I actually like a lot of mock meats, I just double check to make sure they're vegan. I tend to find the mock "red meat" better than the mock "chickens." Morningstar BBQ Ribs are to die for!! Just look around and try stuff out that looks good
#13 Old 01-15-2010, 01:30 AM
Banned

Never tried it. Never will.
#14 Old 01-15-2010, 02:57 AM

They're good for quick meals. I maybe eat tofu and mock meats twice a week. Mock sausages are okay but I like veggie burgers the best.
#15 Old 01-15-2010, 03:40 AM
Veggie Regular

I don't think anyone thinks mock meats are bad per se, just not for them. There's absolutly nothing wrong with eating them! In the UK I've found nearly all supermarket mock meats are not vegan, but if you find a health food store or similar establishment they tend to have a huge variety of vegan mock meats - it's not that they don't exist, just that supermarkets dont stock them (also, some companies don't want to be sold by supermarkets for ethical reasons which is why you can only find them in health food stores or similar places) so that's worth bearing in mind.

Otherwise I'm not much help, I don't know if it counts as 'mockmeat' but vegeburgers and sausages made from vegetables/beans/nuts are IMO are really tastey and worth a try

Goodluck xx
#16 Old 01-15-2010, 04:21 AM
Veggie Regular

I buy Boca vegan burgers occasionally but only when they're on sale for 2.50 a box or less. I don't consider them 'healthy' per se but sometimes I just want a quick burger and fries for dinner. I'll also occasionally buy the Lightlife Smart Sausages for when I want to make 'pork' and sauerkraut or a cabbage stew. I certainly don't depend on mock meats though and will go months at a time without any in my freezer.
#17 Old 01-15-2010, 08:26 AM
Veggie Regular

I find them useful on occasion. I generally make enough food for dinner that I can make a container to take to work the next day. Sometimes, when there isn't enough leftover, it's really nice to have the option of grabbing a boca burger from the freezer and a couple slices of bread and a baggie full of lettuce, tomato, sprouts, etc, so that I can make a sandwich at work. My husband is English and he loves my shepard's pie made with crumbles, peas, mushrooms, and mushroom gravy.

(the Morning Star fake ribs are good and remind me of the old McDonald's McRib Sandwich. I go through love/hate with that one, sometimes it's exactly what I want, other times, eh)

But now that I've finally mastered pressing/dry frying/marinating tofu, I find it's replacing most of the mock meat.
#18 Old 01-15-2010, 09:05 AM
Veggie Regular

I don't believe mock meats are that healthy to eat (this includes tofu, tempeh and seitan) so I don't eat them often. I try to stick with whole foods. But, once in a while they're great!
#19 Old 01-15-2010, 09:10 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katoo View Post

the Morning Star fake ribs are good and remind me of the old McDonald's McRib Sandwich.

I've tried those also and they're great. In fact they're on sale at my store right now for 2.29 a box with coupon, but I'm avoiding them because they have a lot of sodium and sugar.
#20 Old 01-15-2010, 04:05 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by NZVeggie View Post

There are actually quite a few mock meats made to include vegans so just look out for the label. Otherwise learning to make seitan is useful. You can also buy it in cans and frozen in asian supermarkets. Although that will be more processed and less healthy. I think the key is everything in moderation, so stick to mock meats a couple of times a week at the most and you should be fine. Try eating beans in place of meat, ie in chili, in lasagne as beans are super healthy. Lentils are also great, casserole or in soups etc. As cooking is limited that might make it a bit harder but you can buy beans in cans that have been cooked and just need to be heated.

Also liking mock meats is totally fine. It all depends on why you are choosing to become vegan. I always liked certain meats and gave up meat for ethical reasons (both animal rights and environmental) so like you I quite enjoy mock meats. For people who gave up meat for other reasons it can be a bit of a gross concept and some people just avoid them so that they aren´t tempted to eat actual meat. I have found that the more time I spend eating vegan the less I resort to mock meats as I have found many many other dishes that I love that don´t call for any mock meat. Just see where time takes you and don´t stress it too much.

Wow thank you!

Also thank you to everyone else! This was all great info! I think the reason I have begun to like so many mock meats is because I am in the first stages of vegetarianism, and I am so excited to try everything veggie! Haha, I think as soon as I learn to incorporate more beans into my diet and learn to balance everything out..and also when I have the opportunity to cook, that I will probably migrate away from mock meats. But thank you so much! It's nice to see, and pretty cool, that there are such a variety of vegans who either do or dont like mock meat, and some have them often and some dont ever have them. Haha I was beginning to feel weird because I like so many of the mock meats I've tried..but now I know it's all just a matter of opinion.
#21 Old 01-15-2010, 07:13 PM
Beginner

I don't eat a lot of it, but I eat seitan (<3), which is I guess a mock meat type thing. It's real meaty at least. But it's whatever you like, it doesn't really matter whether the vegan community like mock meats or not. It's your choice to eat them, and if you like them, go right ahead.
#22 Old 01-15-2010, 07:22 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyxcore View Post

I don't eat a lot of it, but I eat seitan (<3), which is I guess a mock meat type thing. It's real meaty at least. But it's whatever you like, it doesn't really matter whether the vegan community like mock meats or not. It's your choice to eat them, and if you like them, go right ahead.

Thx

I was also wondering if you guys consider tempeh a mock meat? ..
#23 Old 01-16-2010, 10:22 AM
Veggie Regular

Field Roast and Upton's Natural's. Both are made from seitan and are TVP and isolated soy protein free.

veganGO -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
forum for vegan activists.
#24 Old 01-16-2010, 10:23 AM
Veggie Regular

Mock meat is a great option for me. It is quick to cook and very filling. I love Morningstar Farms BBQ Riblets. Boca Chik'n patties are amazing to me - I especially love chopping it up and putting it in spaghetti when I am craving some serious comfort food. I also just recently tried Lightlife's veggie hotdogs. Sooo good on a piece of wheat bread and slathered in mustard. I had a vegan breakfast sausage years ago that was incredible, but I haven't been able to find whatever brand it was.
#25 Old 01-16-2010, 10:24 AM
Veggie Regular

OH and the Celebration Roast at Whole Foods! Totally made my Christmas feast complete.
#26 Old 01-16-2010, 07:43 PM
Beginner

Quote:

I was also wondering if you guys consider tempeh a mock meat? ..

Well, the whole "Mock Meat" term can be pretty loose. I don't really think about it as a mock meat, but I don't really flavor it as any one type of meat or anything. I guess any type of protein in place of meat could be considered a Mock Meat.
#27 Old 02-20-2010, 10:08 PM
Beginner

Helpful thread to find as I was tromped on for eating 'deli slices' on a sammie. Yves is the brand.

By a non-veg btw. She thought it despicable that I would even entertain the idea of eating anything that resembles meat.

I don't eat it because it resembles but because it's quick when in a hurry and it tastes good. Also I'm not vegan.

I wonder what the proper reply would have been, since of course I didn't have a clever or any other except, uh?
#28 Old 02-21-2010, 09:14 AM
Super Moderator

I've always liked boca burger (top of the stove-not microwave), and now their chik'n patties. I used to love morningstar, but no more, I'm strict vegetarian now.

I stayed away from trying other processed subsitutes when I first went veg, but after a few months tried quorn turkey roast and Yves roast deli slices. I thought they were both nasty. The Quorn turkey reminded me of a cheap pressed turkey loaf, and Yves tasted just like roast beef just before going bad. I almost think I might of liked them if I tried them when I first went vegetarian, instead of after going without the taste of meat for so long. Glad I did!

I still keep boca burgers and chik'n around. I never really though they tasted like meat.

I also liked morningstar italian sausages. I try to use the flavors I liked in meat stuffs. Like liquid smoke and maple syrup in tofu scrambles.

Does anyone have an idea for Italian "sausage"?

BTW- I don't find anything wrong with meat subs, and don't consider tempeh a sub. at all. I do take offense at the word fake meat. If it's not meat, it's not meat. We don't enough good descriptions for vegan foods.

Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good
#29 Old 02-21-2010, 10:15 AM
HNV
Veggie Regular

I recently tried the Gardein products (the beefless tips and Seasoned bites), the beefless tips made an excellent stew, and the seasoned bites were great in burritos with beans and rice and guacamole. And I used the Field Roast Spicy Chipotle in a chili last week, and it was delicious!

I find that I only like using these products as an enhancer to meals, and not the centerpiece.

The worst sin toward our fellow creatures is not to hate them, but to be indifferent to them. That is the essence of humanity.
#30 Old 02-21-2010, 10:49 AM
Veggie Regular

Wow there are so many products I haven't tried yet. I live in a dorm so all the mock meats I've tried have gone in the microwave =( Which makes a big difference compared to on a stove or on a grill. When summer comes along though and when my dad fires up the grill I'm definitely gonna try some real grilled veggie burgers.. as long as they don't touch the real ones.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page