VeggieBoards banner

Bread [Need help finding some]

2K views 42 replies 31 participants last post by  HNV 
#1 ·
Ok, so, I recently changed from vegetarian to veganism. I also recently came over an issue. I noticed that (please no dumb jokes for never realizing this, LOL) bread has egg whites (?) or whey I believe. I could've mistaken it for something else, but I know there was SOMETHING non-vegan in it. Do most vegans make there own? Or is there a brand I can buy? Because a big portion of my diet is bread, like lunch for school etc.

Thanks!

#4 ·
a lot of breads will have either whey or honey. I rarely see egg whites, but I don't usually look at specialty breads. I stick to the brands I know.

Alvarado St. - I especially like their "diabetic lifestyle" bread. It uses dates as a sweetener, instead of sugar.

Ezekial

Food For Life

Rudi's

#12 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Salad View Post

Often baguette style french bread is vegan (flour, salt, yeast). If there's any bakeries or in-grocery store bakeries around you should check them out. Fresh, rustic style bread is often eggless, wheyless, and free of any dubious preservatives.

But my favorite store bought bread is Dave's Killer Bread; http://www.daveskillerbread.com/
YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I love Dave's Killer Bread!! I actually went to high school with Dave!! Our paths didn't exactly cross but I can still make that claim to fame...

#13 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by shannonbananen View Post

Arnold's has one, I think it's stone ground whole wheat? Anyway, it's in the orange package. Also, the rest of my family eats this Italian sourdough bread that's vegan.
AH! I knew Arnold's had one, but I thought I had fooled myself because last time my parents bought that brand it had whey in it I believe... must have just been whole wheat and not the stone ground part? Anywho, still check the label, but I will definitely look for this because I remember liking that bread very much!

#15 ·
Egg is usually more likely to be in breads which use baking soda or baking powder for leavening. Yeast breads are more likely to have milk or honey as the main non-vegan ingredients. (Look out for sodium caseinate, which is made from milk protein but may not obviously strike you as "milk"!) If a loaf of whole-wheat bread doesn't list that or honey, nonfat milk solids, whey, etc it may be okay. The more experienced vegans here will be able to tell you whether the wierd-named things like diglycerides are OK or not.

#19 ·
I have been having trouble finding vegan breads that are packaged and pre-sliced. However, I have found that most of the fresh breads where I shop are vegan. So, I've either been buying those or making my own. My sandwiches are never perfectly square anymore, but they still taste as good.

#20 ·
Arnold's has several but check the ingredient lists carefully. I spoke with someone from Arnold's company and was assured no animal products were used UNLESS specifically stated on the packaging. So... read...

#21 ·
I don't have trouble finding breads. 99% of the time I just buy Ezekiel anyways and they are all vegan. Also, I shop at Whole Foods a lot so it's really easy to find vegan breads there.

#22 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by chryssiie718 View Post

Arnold's has several but check the ingredient lists carefully. I spoke with someone from Arnold's company and was assured no animal products were used UNLESS specifically stated on the packaging. So... read...
Yeah, most of their products are good. I buy their rye bread and whole wheat buns all the time. I'm not 100% vegan, but I prefer to go with vegan products when there's an easy option like this.

--Fromper

#24 ·
Like someone else said I think this must be mainly an american thing. In Nz it is easy to find vegan breads, about half are naturally vegan. This includes breads right across the price range so can suit any budget.

Personally though we make our own bread as I find it much tastier and satisfying.

#26 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by veganatheist78 View Post

I think this is a uniquely American problem. I live in England and never have problems finding bread. But when I was in New York over Christmas, I spent 5 mins reading labels in a supermarket and then just gave up
Pah. The only reason I have an easier time here, is because things are labeled better.

I've not see eggs in bread either (except specialty breads), but in bakeries, they sometimes use an egg wash to glaze the top of the loaves and make them "shiny", so it's not unheard of. Whey was more of a problem for me, but still not as much as the blasted honey!

My preference is to buy bread from a bakery, where you can ask about the ingredients, it's locally made, and likely contains few/no preservatives aside from salt.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.