gluten - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 01-03-2010, 07:00 AM
Beginner

I read this article recently over at HuffPo. When I went high raw I naturally eliminated most gluten from my diet. I felt better, but it is hard to say if it's the gluten or all of the fresh fruits and veggies. I am thinking of making a conscious effort to avoid gluten. I am wondering what other people's experiences are with gluten -- is there anything to this?

Gluten: What You Don't Know Might Kill You

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/dr-mar..._b_379089.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 01-03-2010, 07:08 AM
Veggie Regular

I don't have any problems with gluten. I also think that a lot of this avoid-soy-wheat-corn-milk-nightshades-whatever-or-you-are-going-to-die-a-horrible-death mumbo-jambo is simply unproved hot air blowing through the internet.
#3 Old 01-03-2010, 09:38 AM
Veggie Regular

The only time I've attributed gluten to stomach problems is when I ate way too much seitan, and thats because I ate way too much. Otherwise, I'm perfectly fine eating gluten and have no problems with it whatsoever. I realize many people don't know they have problems, but I don't have any issues at all eating and have a ton of things with gluten.

I think theres plenty of things I could avoid because they'll cause a shorter life or cause cancer, but I rather not avoid eating, drinking, sitting, standing, living in a populated area with pollution, breathing, not sleeping for 8 hours exactly, etc. :P

I try to eat a varied, fresh, diet. I feel fine at the moment. I'm going to die someway or another and I can't possibly avoid everything linked to disease or cancer. :P

But I certainly think that those who feel poor after eating should try and see if gluten is the culprit.

Pinterest: AquaLoveBird
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 01-03-2010, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mufflon View Post

i don't have any problems with gluten. I also think that a lot of this avoid-soy-wheat-corn-milk-nightshades-whatever-or-you-are-going-to-die-a-horrible-death mumbo-jambo is simply unproved hot air blowing through the internet.

+1

I sometimes wonder what I would have left to eat if I avoided all of these 'poisons' and stuff.

=]
#5 Old 01-03-2010, 10:55 AM
Veggie Regular

I still had gluten here and there after I went raw, and there's a huge difference between being a processed raw eater and a nonprocessed raw eater. You feel so much lighter. I also tried doing gluten-free or low-gluten on a cooked & raw vegan diet and felt great as well (always incorporating fresh fruits & veggies). I think unless and until people cut out gluten for a while and see if anything changes, they don't know if it's negatively affecting them. There's no limit to how well you can feel!
#6 Old 01-03-2010, 11:37 AM
Beginner

I went off gluten two years ago because it was causing me stomach upset. I feel much better, but eating out is a ***** (though indian and thai food are always good for that). Eating at home is no problem after a few months of getting used to it.
#7 Old 01-03-2010, 02:37 PM
Beginner

It is not too hard to do when eating a high raw diet anyway, or so it seems to me.

The problem I have is that I cannot isolate the variable. When I switched to high raw I automatically gave up gluten and I felt better. Is it the raw diet? The gluten free diet? Both? Who knows.

I tend to agree with Penny. You don't know until you've tried it. When I started a vegan diet, my intention was to stick with it for 30 days -- that was last February. When I started a high raw diet my intention was to stick with it for about 10 days, that was last November. I just feel so much better that I don't want to change.

I was a veggie for 8 years but I never experienced a major overall difference in how I felt until I went vegan (and later raw vegan).
#8 Old 01-03-2010, 02:49 PM
Herbivorous Urchin

Quote:
Originally Posted by s0ad View Post

The only time I've attributed gluten to stomach problems is when I ate way too much seitan, and thats because I ate way too much. Otherwise, I'm perfectly fine eating gluten and have no problems with it whatsoever. I realize many people don't know they have problems, but I don't have any issues at all eating and have a ton of things with gluten.

I think theres plenty of things I could avoid because they'll cause a shorter life or cause cancer, but I rather not avoid eating, drinking, sitting, standing, living in a populated area with pollution, breathing, not sleeping for 8 hours exactly, etc. :P

I try to eat a varied, fresh, diet. I feel fine at the moment. I'm going to die someway or another and I can't possibly avoid everything linked to disease or cancer. :P

But I certainly think that those who feel poor after eating should try and see if gluten is the culprit.

+1

Quote:
"You will always be fond of me. I represent to you all the sins you never had the courage to commit.”
Oscar Wilde, The Picture of Dorian Gray
#9 Old 01-03-2010, 10:03 PM

Well, it certainly made me feel a lot better. Then again I have Celiac disease.
#10 Old 01-03-2010, 11:36 PM
Veggie Regular

I think a lot of people are eating foods that they have an intolerance or allergy to, without realizing it. Gluten is one of those foods that a lot of people are sensitive to, but that doesn't mean it's bad for everyone. I've tried eliminating lots of different foods, one at a time, to try to figure out what ails me and I have a list of things that just don't agree with me (dairy, soy, coffee, alcohol). I've tried cutting gluten out of my diet and didn't notice a difference. *shrug* It's very individualized.
#11 Old 01-04-2010, 07:03 AM
Veggie Regular

I think it's a good idea to eat wheat and grains with gluten (barley, oats, spelt) in rotation with other gluten-free grains such as rice, buckwheat, corn, millet, etc. I do eat seitan sometimes for variety and more protein, but not an awful lot.

Problems can also result from eating too much too fast, also from eating too many mixtures at a meal. Eating fewer items can help , also not eating desserts afterwards, at least not immediately afterwards.
#12 Old 01-04-2010, 07:45 AM
Veggie Regular

Gluten is only bad if you have Celiac's. There is no reason to avoid it if you do not have Celiac's.

veganGO -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
forum for vegan activists.
#13 Old 01-04-2010, 08:48 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonicEarth View Post

Gluten is only bad if you have Celiac's. There is no reason to avoid it if you do not have Celiac's.

Right.....acidity is great for the human body!
#14 Old 01-04-2010, 12:46 PM

I know several people with Celiac's who eat oats (low in gluten) and are fine with it. Where can I find more info on the low vs. no gluten debate?
#15 Old 01-04-2010, 07:57 PM
Veggie Regular

I cut out gluten for about a week a little while ago because of gastrointestinal problems and have been feeling better since. I usually eat a gluten-free breakfast, then increase my intake of it throughout the day (none at brekkie, a little at lunch, and more at dinner). It seems to be helping!
#16 Old 01-05-2010, 01:39 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayfare View Post

I know several people with Celiac's who eat oats (low in gluten) and are fine with it. Where can I find more info on the low vs. no gluten debate?

I don't think people know for 100% if oats have gluten in them it's just that they are really easily cross contaminated with gluten from other grains. Also, you can buy oats that are specifically gluten free.

“May all sentient beings be free of pain and suffering.  May all sentient beings experience eternal joy and happiness.  gate gate pāragate pārasaṃgate bodhi svāhā.”
http://www.facebook.com/doktormartini
http://twitter.com/#!/MartyBaureis
http://doktormartini.tumblr.com

#17 Old 01-05-2010, 05:17 AM
Beginner

Thanks everyone! I am still not sure what I think. Gluten is in a lot of processed foods, so it is hard to tell if it's the gluten or the quality of foods that may (or may not) make a difference.
#18 Old 01-05-2010, 11:15 PM
Veggie Regular

Rather than avoiding 'gluten' perhaps you should avoid processed foods?

I do not think it is just internet nonsense because I think people don't realize how in-bred the food chain is. For example, if you think 'I don't get too much corn because I don't like eating corn on the cob' or something, then you are not a very careful label reader Corn, wheat and soy are used in so many foods (sometimes unnecessarily) that it's really hard to moderate your intake unless you make everything from scratch. Corn/wheat/soy/whatever may be fine in moderation, but most people aren't getting it 'in moderation.'

I have very bad genetics for food issues, and after two years of suffering with an alleged 'eczema' flare-up, I finally used a food diary to track my symptoms and traced it all back to corn. I was allergy tested and had my suspicions confirmed, along with a few other foods I did not know I was allergic to. I did get tested for wheat and the test was negative, but I get a rash every time I eat it, so I avoid. There are allergies, and then there are intolerances---it's not just 'you either have celiac or you're fine.' It doesn't agree with me, so unless it is a very special occasion, with a very special food, and I decide to have it with the expectation that there will be consequences and I am prepared to live with them, I avoid. But it's not in my head or in my imagination or internet silliness.
#19 Old 01-11-2010, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doktormartini View Post

I don't think people know for 100% if oats have gluten in them it's just that they are really easily cross contaminated with gluten from other grains. Also, you can buy oats that are specifically gluten free.

Thanks! Cross contamination is a pain. It'd be great if we didn't have to experience that.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page