Resisting Temptations - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 12-30-2009, 12:26 PM
Veggie Regular

Do you ever feel like it sucks to be at social gatherings where everyone else is eating omni food? Spending the week here in NY with my family has been hard at times. Going to one or two events isn't that bad. But one week plus can get rough. Sometimes I have strong cravings for sweets. Just wondering--do you feel 100% certain that you'll never in your life give into a craving? I wish I felt that way but I feel like there's no way to know for sure how I'll feel in 1 year or maybe 10 years from now. Being the social oddball all week has been a little rough too. This is still all new for me, since I've been vegan for only 1 1/2 months and vegetarian for 3 1/2.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 12-30-2009, 12:29 PM
Veggie Regular

Everyone's different. There's no rule book. i've never truly felt the inclination to eat something bad like that. But, realistically, there are quite a few posts on here about people falling off the wagon, cheating, etc. so obviously some people appear to have a hard time with control.

The Big Bad.
#3 Old 12-30-2009, 12:36 PM
Veggie Regular

Just make sure you have something to munch on.

For example, I'm not a big chocolate eater I never have been. BUT at christmas when my whole family is stuffing their face with boxes of chocolatates I feel left out. This year I "made" some turkish delight (found some vegan chunks - M&S for ukers interested - and coated them in melted dark chocolate) and just munched on that when I felt left out. worked! I know its not always possible to bring stuff, but maybe bring a box of something to "share" (but noone wants the skanky animal free food so you get to keep it).

Do a lot of research too, theres a suprising amount of accidental-vegan foods, like I hear most oreos in the states are.

It'll get easier with time, I dont even really see omni stuff as food any more.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 12-30-2009, 12:37 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonn1997 View Post

Do you ever feel like it sucks to be at social gatherings where everyone else is eating omni food? Spending the week here in NY with my family has been hard at times. Going to one or two events isn't that bad. But one week plus can get rough. Sometimes I have strong cravings for sweets. Just wondering--do you feel 100% certain that you'll never in your life give into a craving? I wish I felt that way but I feel like there's no way to know for sure how I'll feel in 1 year or maybe 10 years from now. Being the social oddball all week has been a little rough too. This is still all new for me, since I've been vegan for only 1 1/2 months and vegetarian for 3 1/2.

It sucks for me, especially with it being the holidays. I'm not gonna lie - I'm missing the turkey, the ham, the prime rib...

Doesn't help that meat DOESN'T taste or smell disgusting to me whatsoever. I've definitely felt a little deprived, so you're not the only one.
#5 Old 12-30-2009, 12:38 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pirate Ferret View Post

Just make sure you have something to munch on.

For example, I'm not a big chocolate eater I never have been. BUT at christmas when my whole family is stuffing their face with boxes of chocolatates I feel left out. This year I "made" some turkish delight (found some vegan chunks - M&S for ukers interested - and coated them in melted dark chocolate) and just munched on that when I felt left out. worked! I know its not always possible to bring stuff, but maybe bring a box of something to "share" (but noone wants the skanky animal free food so you get to keep it).

Do a lot of research too, theres a suprising amount of accidental-vegan foods, like I hear most oreos in the states are.

It'll get easier with time, I dont even really see omni stuff as food any more.

Those are good tips. Maybe I'll make a desert for the New Year's eve party I'm going to tomorrow.
#6 Old 12-30-2009, 12:41 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kellye View Post

It sucks for me, especially with it being the holidays. I'm not gonna lie - I'm missing the turkey, the ham, the prime rib...

Doesn't help that meat DOESN'T taste or smell disgusting to me whatsoever. I've definitely felt a little deprived, so you're not the only one.

Interesting. Those are things I don't miss. I look at them and think "dead animal. no thanks!" For me, the hard part iss when I see a big cheesecake or pumpkin pie. Everyone has different cravings though. The tough parts really iare only when there are no options for me. I've never really enjoyed baking or cooking but I do want something vegan to be available for me. I like Pirate Ferret's Oreo suggestion actually since I love Oreos. I'll double check the ingredient list though.
#7 Old 12-30-2009, 01:12 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonn1997 View Post

Interesting. Those are things I don't miss. I look at them and think "dead animal. no thanks!" For me, the hard part iss when I see a big cheesecake or pumpkin pie. Everyone has different cravings though. The tough parts really iare only when there are no options for me. I've never really enjoyed baking or cooking but I do want something vegan to be available for me. I like Pirate Ferret's Oreo suggestion actually since I love Oreos. I'll double check the ingredient list though.

I was a hardcore carnivore in my former life, so meat is definitely the thing that I miss most. I could take or leave desserts.

PF had really good suggestions though.
#8 Old 12-30-2009, 04:01 PM

I'm never at all tempted by meat, but I sometimes have big problems with chocolates and just snacks. I used to just dig into a nice pack of jaffa cakes, or a galaxy bar, a brownie, or doughnuts, or some lovely simnal cake. Ugh, I've just made myself feel bad. Now I usually have fruit, oatcakes, crispbread, the odd yogurt and some of my homemade flapjacks. It's a big change, so I guess it'll take a bit longer to adjust.

But when I find it really hard, I treat myself to the nicest vegan food, and always remind myself why I don't eat dairy.
#9 Old 12-30-2009, 04:39 PM
Veggie Regular

I would bring some fruit. I take sugar/sweet/refined carb desires to mean my body needs more carbs.
#10 Old 12-30-2009, 04:47 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by penny79 View Post

I would bring some fruit. I take sugar/sweet/refined carb desires to mean my body needs more carbs.

I've just always had a severe sweet tooth. I used to put Splenda in blush wine but I stopped because people started making fun of me!
#11 Old 12-30-2009, 04:57 PM

I'm never tempted, whether it's meat, cheese, desserts, etc. If it's not vegan, it's not food. Someone brought a big thing of Jelly Belly candy to work, and while I'm not big on candy, some of the flavors looked interesting. but I read the ingredients and there was beeswax. I no longer had any desire to try one.

I would just eat before I went.

And by not eating food there, there's the chance someone will ask you why you're not eating, and that's a great opportunity to explain animals/animal products aren't food.
#12 Old 12-30-2009, 06:55 PM
Veggie Regular

My new holiday game plan is awesome. Seeing the Reese's peanut butter cups and Hershey's kisses with almonds drives me wild. So now, I am planning on making vegan chocolate covered almonds at home ahead of time. And to tame the horrible Reeses monster, I melt vegan chocolate chips and crunchy peanut butter and throw in things like Chex cereal and pretzels and eat it up with a spoon!! Hehe...feels so naughty + totally yummy and 100% vegan!!
#13 Old 12-31-2009, 02:46 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by SalsaQueen View Post

I'm never tempted, whether it's meat, cheese, desserts, etc. If it's not vegan, it's not food. Someone brought a big thing of Jelly Belly candy to work, and while I'm not big on candy, some of the flavors looked interesting. but I read the ingredients and there was beeswax. I no longer had any desire to try one.

I would just eat before I went.

And by not eating food there, there's the chance someone will ask you why you're not eating, and that's a great opportunity to explain animals/animal products aren't food.

Oh yeah, there's definitely a long list of rational reasons not to eat animals and animal products at parties. And that's why I haven't done eaten them. I was asking about how people felt, though. It sounds like you have better control of your immediate feeling states/responses than I do!
#14 Old 12-31-2009, 03:04 AM
Beginner

Did anyone find that their sweet tooth diminished after they stopped eating meat? Mine did, quite noticeably.

I'm still tempted by dairy but count myself lucky to have known issues with casein. The taste isn't worth the coughing, wheezing and joint pain to follow
#15 Old 12-31-2009, 11:38 AM
Veggie Regular

My sweet tooth has not diminished at all. Now I just eat vegan sweets, which I really love. I try to bring vegan treats with me so I don't feel left out at these types of events. When I see cake or cookies that aren't vegan I am not really tempted I am just disappointed that it isn't vegan.

I eat everything that nature voluntarily gives: fruits, vegetables, and the products of plants. But I ask you to spare me what animals are forced to surrender: meat, milk, and cheese. ~Author Unknown
#16 Old 12-31-2009, 04:43 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kellye View Post

I was a hardcore carnivore in my former life, so meat is definitely the thing that I miss most.

Ditto. The smell and the taste(memory of the taste) of meat has such a long history of good things associated with it that it's really, really hard sometimes. I have serious desires for the taste of meat. I just have to keep reminding myself what meat represents: disease, torture and murder.

--
The Twilight Is My Robe
#17 Old 12-31-2009, 05:25 PM
Veggie Regular

Luckily I don't socialize much so I'm not stuck in situations surrounded by people eating food that I won't. It's not a matter that I can't eat those foods, I choose not too. I'm not tempted. Not when I remember the ingredients and how they came to be.

I too love sweets and have no intention of ever giving them up. The problem is making something. I'm the only one in the household and I'll end up eating it all, gaining weight and feeling guilty.
#18 Old 01-01-2010, 01:16 PM
Veggie Regular

I don't have cravings for meat, but I have cravings for some of the sweets my grandma makes over the holidays. I almost couldn't control myself today. It was kind of scary - I started planning how i was gonna sneak one into the bathroom and eat it there & such... but i controlled myself. o.0
#19 Old 01-01-2010, 01:40 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by woolyjumpers View Post

Did anyone find that their sweet tooth diminished after they stopped eating meat? Mine did, quite noticeably.

I'm still tempted by dairy but count myself lucky to have known issues with casein. The taste isn't worth the coughing, wheezing and joint pain to follow

I used to be a chocoholic. People knew me as the chocolate lover. I ate it every day. Now, I don't really crave it. I have some dark chocolate sometimes but I honestly could take it or leave it. It's weird. I definitely will eat vegan chocolate cakes, oreos, etc., but I don't need it like I used to. Sometimes I miss kit kats, but that's pretty much the only thing.

I sometimes have cravings for milk, but that's pretty much only when I'm thirsty and I see a glass in advertising or something. It's easy enough to resist though. If I actually had it in front of me I know I would get disgusted.
#20 Old 01-01-2010, 02:12 PM
Veggie Regular

I have no problem sticking with vegetarianism. The vegan part is a bit harder when I am away from home. If I could become a hermit and never leave my house, it would be awesome! lol
#21 Old 01-01-2010, 02:18 PM
adapt. evolve. become

I actually got a bigger sweet tooth after giving up meat. Strange.

All we are is dust in the wind
#22 Old 01-01-2010, 02:19 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
I just have to keep reminding myself what meat represents: disease, torture and murder.

^ Me too. We had tacos at my folks' house last night and the ground beef smelled amazing, I literally had to step back and visualize a living cow to remind myself why I don't eat things like that...

The beans were good though.
#23 Old 01-01-2010, 11:41 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by karenlovessnow View Post

I have no problem sticking with vegetarianism. The vegan part is a bit harder when I am away from home. If I could become a hermit and never leave my house, it would be awesome! lol

I totally understand this! On a gut-level or non-intellectual level, it's harder to think of sweets with dairy and/or egg as representing animal abuse. When I see a juicy steak, it's blatant to me that an animal suffered to produce food. But when I see a pumpkin pie or brownies at parties, I get a huge craving first and then I have to remind myself first about the dairy and egg industries and second that dairy and egg are actually in these deserts even though the dairy and egg are "invisible"

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page