Rice Milk? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 12-28-2009, 10:31 PM

So I have here a box of Rice Dream Enriched vanilla rice milk. On the box its 100% Vegetarian and Dairy- free. So my question is, why is it not vegan? I'm thinking the 'enriched' part may be the problem. There are vitamins d2, b12, and a palmitate. Are any of these ingredients non-vegan? If so, are there any rice milks that are vegan?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 12-28-2009, 10:46 PM

I love the taste of Rice Dream. I quickly became amazed with the taste of soy milk after being fearful of trying it for so long. Then I took a chance and tried Rice Dream a few months ago. If the cost were lower I would probably be a regular consumer, but it isn't so easy on the budget.

Their website seems to list all of the ingredients as Vegan. It would probably be easier if you contacted the company directly to verify the process they use to make it. http://www.tastethedream.com/product...t/1474/202.php
#3 Old 12-28-2009, 10:49 PM
Veggie Regular

It may be an issue of definitions - to some people "100% vegetarian" means no animal ingredients, which would also mean vegan in this case.

I'm vegan and drink Rice Dream, so I'd be surprised (and a bit upset) to find out that it isn't vegan.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 12-28-2009, 10:58 PM
Veggie Regular

I'm vegan and also drink it... and it is delicious!!

Mmm, Rice Dream rice milk and Almond Breeze almond milk = a happy SKelly
#5 Old 12-28-2009, 11:53 PM

Well that's good... I hope it's vegan! I read on some internet site (I don't really remember what it was called....) but it named a lot of vitamins that weren't vegan because their origin is from animals... I hope Rice Dream doesn't derive their vitamins from animals :/
#6 Old 12-29-2009, 05:48 AM
Veggie Regular

I was told it was vegan by the owner of my local vegetarian/vegan/health food shop the other day. They're vegan and drink it too lol, so hopefully they're right!
#7 Old 12-29-2009, 07:52 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monty328 View Post

Well that's good... I hope it's vegan! I read on some internet site (I don't really remember what it was called....) but it named a lot of vitamins that weren't vegan because their origin is from animals... I hope Rice Dream doesn't derive their vitamins from animals :/

Vitamin D3 is not vegan, I think it comes from wool if I remember correctly. It's in a lot of cereals. However, as you pointed out, Rice Dream has D2, which is safe

I think the word "vegetarian" is just used more than "vegan," and since there are many more non-vegan vegetarians out there than there are vegans, they are probably just targeting the larger audience.
#8 Old 12-29-2009, 11:43 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by FitChick99 View Post

Vitamin D3 is not vegan, I think it comes from wool if I remember correctly. It's in a lot of cereals. However, as you pointed out, Rice Dream has D2, which is safe

Correct. D3 is from animals, D2 is from plants.

Personally, I get the Whole Foods brand ricemilk.

veganGO -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
forum for vegan activists.
#9 Old 12-29-2009, 12:20 PM
Herbivorous Urchin

I hope it's vegan... or I have to relabel myself for the last 5 years of my life.

Quote:
"You will always be fond of me. I represent to you all the sins you never had the courage to commit.”
Oscar Wilde, The Picture of Dorian Gray
#10 Old 12-29-2009, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmjohn72 View Post

If the cost were lower I would probably be a regular consumer, but it isn't so easy on the budget.

Making your own grain/nut milks is super easy and a lot cheaper than store-bought. There are a lot of recipes online and I keep meaning to try to make my own almond milk. I even bought raw almonds, but I have been eating them instead (*bad Ginger*) I am not sure how palatable the end results of the DIY recipes are, but that might be an option to consider...
#11 Old 12-29-2009, 02:37 PM
Veggie Regular

Homemade raw almond milk is very nice.

www.thesaucyvegan.com
#12 Old 12-29-2009, 02:44 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmjohn72 View Post

If the cost were lower I would probably be a regular consumer, but it isn't so easy on the budget.

I can sympathize, as I have a limited budget too (and three growing, bottomless-pit kids!!).

First of all, remember no one needs to drink any kind of milk as a beverage (plant or animal milks). Water is really all anyone needs. If you don't drink glass after glassful of the stuff, it helps your budget considerably. Rethink that part of your diet - the Dairy Association has us all believing we NEED to drink milk (or something like it) as a beverage.

Second, there are many ways to get it cheaper - many sites have online coupons you can print out (just Google).

Third, warehouse and grocery-outlet stores often have it available much cheaper. It's shelf stable, so you can stock up!!

Fourth as mentioned, you can make your own and the taste is however you want it - with vanilla, without, sweetened, or not...

Good Luck!!
#13 Old 12-29-2009, 02:52 PM
Veggie Regular

I always buy mine when it's on sale and stock up! I don't drink it by the glassful but like it with cereal in the morning or for a cup of hot chocolate. It's also fortified with Calcium, Vitamin D2 and Vitamin B12 so is a source if these important nutrients.
#14 Old 12-29-2009, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Begonia View Post

I always buy mine when it's on sale and stock up! I don't drink it by the glassful but like it with cereal in the morning or for a cup of hot chocolate. It's also fortified with Calcium, Vitamin D2 and Vitamin B12 so is a source if these important nutrients.

Likewise. Every few months my local natural foods store has a case sale on Almond Breeze. 12 quarts for $21. So I always buy a case of the plain, unsweetened version and it lasts a long time since I only use about 1/2c a day for cereal or waffles etc...
#15 Old 01-17-2010, 11:08 AM
Super Moderator

Just googled "almond milk recipe" and this one is so easy and well written I'm definitly getting some raw almonds today--

http://www.veganreader.com/2009/09/1...t-of-them-all/

There's a recipe for rice milk here too.

I'd probably eat more junk if I didn't drink things besides water and teas.

Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good
#16 Old 01-17-2010, 11:12 AM
Super Moderator

I went back to veganreaders site for the rice milk recipe and found more bad news on corporate takeover nastiness---

http://www.veganreader.com/2009/09/1...t-of-them-all/

Here's a clip from it:

If you buy Rice Dream products, you are supporting Wal-Mart, ExxonMobil, Philip Morris and the worst of them all – Monsanto.

Yes, Monsanto, Wal-Mart, ExxonMobil and Philip Morris are all stockholders in Hain Celestial – hardly exemplars of natural, organic or healthy living. Ethical Americans would rather go thirsty than buy a Monsanto-supported product. As the inventors of Agent Orange, DDT and RoundUp, as the corporation whose grand GMO plan is to force all food-consuming beings to have to crawl to them for sustenance, no other entity has a blacker name in the history of mankind.

Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page