Easy Bruising - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 12-24-2009, 04:30 AM

Ever since I became vegan a couple of months ago, my legs have been bruising really easily. I don't remember where they come from they just kind of appear all over my legs. Is this some kind of deficiency? Do I need to eat more of a specific food?

Any advice is helpful :P

Merry Christmas Everyone

Check out: lovelifeontheside.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 12-24-2009, 05:21 AM
Veggie Regular

This happens to me whenever I cut out fortified food (usually by accident, because I don't have a problem with fortified food). Some people say low iron does it, and some people say it's low B12. Do you feel tired or weak? I usually don't, which is why I don't think it's anemia for me personally.

Do you take a vitamin? If you don't, a bowl of fortified cereal plus fortified soymilk should help.

Or maybe someone knows what it actually is, so you can just eat more of a real food

Merry Christmas to you too!

life's not a paragraph
and death i think is no paranthesis
#3 Old 12-24-2009, 05:23 AM

No, I don't feel tired or weak although I have also noticed that the dark circles under my eyes are more pronounced even if I get tons of sleep. Also I take a B12 vitamin (when I remember) so its probably not that although, thats the only vitamin that I take.

Check out: lovelifeontheside.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 12-24-2009, 10:28 AM
Veggie Regular

Usually, this is low iron. Either get an iron supplement, or eat more dark, leafy greens. Broccoli and spinach are good for iron. Also, I believe iron is absorbed more easily with vitamin C, so maybe just the combinations of foods you eat could help.

--Fromper

#5 Old 12-24-2009, 01:24 PM
Veggie Regular

I bruise easily too, and get dark under eye circles.

I take a B-vitamin and eat a varied, healthy diet.

I figured that's just the way I am. My mother bruises easily too
#6 Old 12-26-2009, 10:35 AM

I went to the doctor about this a couple of months ago. (I was also having a lot of stomach pains- which is unrelated to the bruising)

They suspected Von Willebrands disease, but after multiple visits to other doctors they concluded that it wasn't anything serious because I didn't bleed easily or have excessively heavy periods. Another thing, it might be a vitamin K deficiency (one of my blood tests suggested this)

Then again, during this time I wasn't taking vegetables and ate mostly bread and cereal
#7 Old 12-26-2009, 10:36 AM

I went to the doctor about this a couple of months ago. (I was also having a lot of stomach pains- which is unrelated to the bruising)

They suspected Von Willebrands disease, but after multiple visits to other doctors they concluded that it wasn't anything serious because I didn't bleed easily or have excessively heavy periods. Another thing, it might be a vitamin K deficiency (one of my blood tests suggested this)

Then again, during this time I wasn't taking vitamins and ate mostly bread and cereal !
#8 Old 12-26-2009, 03:22 PM
Veggie Regular

It could be low iron, I bruise more when my iron's low. But before you go supplementing you should have your doctor test you for it.
#9 Old 12-26-2009, 03:40 PM
Veggie Regular

This is something that didn't happen before, yeah? If it's concerning you enough to post about it, maybe it's worth a trip to the doctor. She can ask some questions, maybe do a quick exam and take some blood to check the aforementioned Iron, B12, Vit K, etc. Thyroid issues and all sorts of things can cause easy bruising.

The ones I pity are the ones who never stick out their neck for something they believe, never know the taste of moral struggle, and never have the thrill of victory. - Jonathan Kozol
#11 Old 12-26-2009, 04:52 PM
Veggie Regular

If it's causing concern then visit your doctor, even if they tell you it's nothing atleast you'll know.

However, I'm not vegan and even before I became veggie I have always bruised easily. But as far as I can tell it's nothing to do with my diet or health. It's just me.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page