What are some tasty vegan meals I can make for my omni family? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 12-16-2009, 07:54 AM
Veggie Regular

I'm a vegan, living with my very onmi dad and stepmom. They often say that they don't know what to have for dinner, because all they really know that I can have is spaghetti, cheese-less pizza, and boca stuff. (I have stuff other than that all the time, and I can pretty much fend for myself. I always have leftovers and snacks around). Although I'd be fine with cooking up something quick just for myself, I don't want them to think I'm being antisocial or something or that I can't find anything we can all eat.

My dad requested that I make vegan meatloaf and chili before, and they both turned out good. I just don't love mock meats that much, and I want to show them that I can eat meals that don't include fake meat. When I lived in an apartment alone, I would just cook up a vegetable and eat it with rice or quinoa or something, and I'd be fine with it. I don't think they'd consider that a "meal" though, since they've been so ingrained with the belief that meals=meat, and my food is just "side dishes."

Do you know of any meals I could make that would be a little more elaborate and impressive than just throwing veggies in a pan, but that don't necessarily include mock meat? I don't want them thinking that there's nothing I can eat, because that's so far from the truth!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 12-16-2009, 08:07 AM
Veggie Regular

Make this asparagus (it's awesome):

Chili Almond Asparagus from Vegan Yum Yum:

http://veganyumyum.com/index.php?s=almond+asparagus

And make these potatoes from The Pioneer Woman:

Roasted New Potatoes and Garlic:

http://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/2...-new-potatoes/

And how about this?

Oyster Mushroom Scampi from Vegan Dad:

http://vegandad.blogspot.com/2009/12...om-scampi.html
#3 Old 12-17-2009, 08:00 AM
Veggie Regular

I made lasagna from the Fat Free Kitchen that was pretty good: http://blog.fatfreevegan.com/2006/03...e-lasagna.html

You could make stuffed portabella mushrooms too. I usually stuff mine with fake sausage, bread crumbs, spinach, italian herbs, a little olive oil. I modified one of Emeril's recipes. But if you don't want to use fake meat I'm sure there are plenty of other recipes or you could come up with your own filling. You could do stuffed squash too - use wild rice and veggies maybe.

Maybe a risotto? I like mushroom risottos. I use vegetable broth, thyme, garlic, and I don't know, maybe some nutritional yeast. Throw in some scallions or leeks to your liking.

Scalloped potatoes. I made them probably a year and a half ago and I don't remember what recipe I used. But I think it was basically plain, unsweetened soymilk, margarine, onions and nutritional yeast. Maybe flour and paprika? Probably best to do a search if you're interested in that one.

Something Mexican subbing black beans for the beef. Tacos or a casserole. Although they may think Mexican food = cheese, so that may not be the best idea...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 12-17-2009, 11:46 AM
Veggie Regular

I'd try indian food if they like that, because it's so flavourful and natrually lends itself well to vegan meals since they're often vegetarian anyway.

If not, shepards/gardeners pie type meals are a great hit because it's delicious comfort food that everyone loves! I usually make a shepards pie with lentils (and lots of red wine for the sauce!) and then just serve with vegetables.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page