Fur in the Workplace - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 12-13-2009, 10:58 PM
Veggie Regular

Hello everyone! So I'm having a major job/moral dilemma.

I've worked in the same place for the past three years. It's a women's used clothing store. We take in a lot of different things, including wool and leather, which I don't like but can deal with because it's used. Every year when it starts getting cold outside we get a few people who try to bring in fur coats. Usually we don't take them as living in such a warm climate nobody will buy them. However, yesterday my boss took into the store a mink fur coat.

Not only do I find fur horribly ugly, but as I discovered yesterday, just being around it makes me feel very uncomfortable and even sick. The worst part was when I noticed that my boss had placed the coat on the clothing rack, so that it was touching my own jacket. In the end, I was able to get through the day without saying anything but I really don't want to go back. I've considered quitting before for other reasons, but I'm beginning to think this might be the final straw.

I haven't tried talking to my boss about how uncomfortable fur makes me feel. She knows I'm a vegan but does not seem to have the slightest clue that this might bother me. I kind of feel like it's her store, so I shouldn't complain.

I know it's recycled, but the whole idea of selling fur, just makes me feel sick.

This is probably one of those things that I have to decide for myself. However, I'd really like to hear everybody's opinions or thoughts. All my family/friends are omnis and seem to think I'm overreacting, so it'd be really nice to hear from some people with somewhat similar views as my own. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 12-13-2009, 11:20 PM
Herbivorous Urchin

I really don't see how working with wool or leather is any different, it's all kind of from the same cruelty. I would not quit my job over that, it's really hard to get jobs now-a-days, and if you have one you really should hang on to it. There are lots of people, veggies included that would love a job right now.

Quote:
"You will always be fond of me. I represent to you all the sins you never had the courage to commit.”
Oscar Wilde, The Picture of Dorian Gray
#3 Old 12-13-2009, 11:32 PM
Kiz
Veggie Regular

While I agree that there is no difference between leather and fur I'm not sure that is a reason to stay in a job that makes you unhappy or you are morally uncomfortable with. If she wants a new job, for whatever reason, she should get one.

Love the post? Why not buy the T-shirt!
http://www.kiz-shop.de/index.php?page=categorie&cat=8
http://www.kiz-shop.de/index.php?page=product&info=94
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 12-13-2009, 11:45 PM
Herbivorous Urchin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiz View Post

While I agree that there is no difference between leather and fur I'm not sure that is a reason to stay in a job that makes you unhappy or you are morally uncomfortable with. If she wants a new job, for whatever reason, she should get one.

Prolly line a new one up before she quits, though.

Quote:
"You will always be fond of me. I represent to you all the sins you never had the courage to commit.”
#5 Old 12-13-2009, 11:54 PM
Kiz
Veggie Regular

That sounds like a good idea, yes.

Love the post? Why not buy the T-shirt!
http://www.kiz-shop.de/index.php?page=categorie&cat=8
http://www.kiz-shop.de/index.php?page=product&info=94
#6 Old 12-14-2009, 10:36 AM
Veggie Regular

If it bothers you tell the boss.

The best you are going to do is get it away from your jacket. Don't expect them to not sell fur jackets though.
#7 Old 12-14-2009, 10:52 AM
Contributing Member

What are the chances she would be willing to donate it to a wildlife rehabber? The HSUS takes fur coats and gives them to animal rehabilitators for their orphaned and injured wildlife. The donation is tax deductible.

Coats for Cubs

‎"One meal, soon forgotten, in exchange for a whole life." Author Unknown
"Fur is worn by beautiful animals and ugly people"

#8 Old 12-14-2009, 10:54 AM
Veggie Regular

Personally, I would keep my job, regardless of the moral kinks. It's the Depression yo.

But if you really feel that strongly about it, I'd line up another job and then mention it to your boss. If she's willing to change, great. If not, be willing to hit the road.
#9 Old 12-14-2009, 11:52 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyricGaia View Post

I really don't see how working with wool or leather is any different, it's all kind of from the same cruelty.

I agree that wool and leather are just as bad. Unfortunately, I've just grown used to seeing and selling those products. Fur on the other hand, is something I'm really not used to. Especially since it looks so much more similar to where it came from. Selling the other products bothers me as well, but not as much.

If I decide to leave, I wasn't planning on it until after I have already found a new job. I just really hate job searching and have gotten very used to my current job, so it would be easier to not have to look for a new one. However, I'd rather not have to feel uncomfortable everyday. I also kind of feel like a hypocrite, if I'm selling fur. Even if it is used. I'm just torn right now about whether or not I want to put in all the effort of trying to find a new job and starting something different (if I find one) or if I'd rather suffer through the selling of fur, and other animal products.
#10 Old 12-14-2009, 12:12 PM
Herbivorous Urchin

We're all hypocrites to some extent. I sell people mean, not literally, but I make it available.

Although, as soon as I get my CPT I will be much much less hypocritical.

Quote:
#11 Old 12-14-2009, 04:48 PM
Veggie Regular

Well, look at it this way: Someone obviously thought that a mink coat was unappealing enough to donate it to a used clothing store, rather than continuing to wear it. There was one time that was considered the height of fashion.

I would be more bothered working in a store like Macy's or Neiman Marcus, which sell newly produced fur clothing.

slops, gloops, and gruels.
#12 Old 12-15-2009, 11:31 AM
Veggie Regular

Quiting is drastic. Its not like your boss has gone fur only or something. You could always ask your boss to donate it the rehabber as mentioned before. You should tell you boss that is disturbs you and that you'd rather not have it in your store. You can say that with tact and not threaten your job. You could also say that people often won't come to stores that sell fur. I don't know if that will work since its a used clothing store but maybe.

I remember when I used to go to church there was one lady who used to wear a mink coat. She was so incredibly stuffy and arrogant. I caught up with her in the parking lot once day and asked her about her coat in a polite fashion. She stuck her nose up and poofed her chest out and told me that she hated minks because they were mean and that no one could stop her from wearing them. I took her up on the challenge. Every sunday in church......there it was, her full length mink coat always on the rack. It was nestled tightly just above all the muddy, wet boot and shoe pans. Every sunday I'd knock it down and let it fall into the wet muck below. With a giggle and an evil grin, I'd say "oops" and walk away. It used to crack my dad up. :P Week after week I watched the deterioration of her once shiny soft coat. Eventually after complaints to the rest of the snobby crowd (no one knew it was me or at least they never appeared to know) she stopped wearing the coat. I think it took like 4 or 5 weeks.

I'm not saying to destroy the coat....but for some reason your question reminded me of that incidence.
#13 Old 12-15-2009, 12:44 PM
Veggie Regular

If there's a fur in my vicinity it's probably going to have something mucky, yucky, and hopefully permanent rubbed into it.

"If you want to know where you would have stood on slavery before the civil war, don't look at where you stand on slavery today, look at where you stand on animal rights." - Paul Watson.

Every animal you eat
was running for her life

#14 Old 12-15-2009, 04:28 PM
Vivamus convallis feugiat

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarmaVegan View Post

This is probably one of those things that I have to decide for myself. However, I'd really like to hear everybody's opinions or thoughts. All my family/friends are omnis and seem to think I'm overreacting, so it'd be really nice to hear from some people with somewhat similar views as my own. Thanks!

Ok. All things considered, I think the opportunity for you in this situation is for you to take responsibility for mastering yourself, rather than trying to change the situation. You didn't bring the fur into the store and its not your responsibility to get it out of there. What you can choose is to take responsibility for your own thoughts and feelings about the situation and work on accepting the situation. As the old saying goes, what doesn't kill you makes you stronger. Also, it is easier to make slippers than to carpet the world. Just a suggestion and a possibility. I agree that it is your decision, not mine.
#15 Old 12-16-2009, 12:02 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irizary View Post

If there's a fur in my vicinity it's probably going to have something mucky, yucky, and hopefully permanent rubbed into it.

I'll keep my furry and very cute cat away from you then...
#16 Old 12-16-2009, 02:57 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiveVegan View Post

Quiting is drastic. Its not like your boss has gone fur only or something. You could always ask your boss to donate it the rehabber as mentioned before. You should tell you boss that is disturbs you and that you'd rather not have it in your store. You can say that with tact and not threaten your job. You could also say that people often won't come to stores that sell fur. I don't know if that will work since its a used clothing store but maybe.

Unfortunately, it's a consignment store, so the clothes do not belong to us. So donation isn't going to be a possibility. My boss has seen people get upset about things and leave before, it doesn't bother her. However, I am going to try ("try" being the key word here) and talk to her about how it bothers me. If she doesn't understand I'll probably start looking for a new job. I'd rather not feel uncomfortable 5 days out of the week.

Thanks for everyone's opinions!
#17 Old 12-17-2009, 01:39 PM
Vegan Police Officer

Don't quit over a fur coat in a consignment store!!! That's really going over the top. It's not like you're having to sell fur everyday, and honestly, there is no ethical difference between leather and fur. The only difference is that fur is cuddly and leather is not.

But there's no harm in telling your boss something like "I hope that fur coat goes quickly 'cos I find it really creepy".

Those are my two cents.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page