I think I've had an elightenment! - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
#1 Old 12-13-2009, 11:47 AM
Veggie Regular
 
Katoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 355
I think I am one of the lucky ones.



When my husband and I started researching to be more cruelty-free in how we live our lives, we didn't have any idea that we'd end up being vegans. Funny thing is, he came to the conclusion first.



But for me, a switch flipped. I don't want to wear, eat, or wash in anything connected to animals. The very idea has instantly become revolting.



For my husband, a switch didn't switch, and the thought of eating animals isn't revolting to him, just wrong. So for him, it's harder and more difficult. His attitude is more along the lines of "doing his very best without sweating the small stuff". He happily eats whatever I prepare or whatever he cooks for himself, but in a social setting he might have "just a taste" of something, even though he does believe it is wrong. Not meat, but a buttered roll or a slice of cake. For me, bile rises at the thought of eating butter. It's a reflex. For him, he feels a bit deprived, will taste it, and find out for himself that it's not worth the taste.



So. I don't have to fight an urge and it's been easy for me. For him, he sees something he's eaten easily and happily his entire life, and he has to resist it.



What I didn't realize is that not everyone is lucky enough to get an instant gag reflex.
Katoo is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
#2 Old 12-13-2009, 11:50 AM
Banned
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 7,160
Yeah, I'd like to be like you but I'm more like your husband. I DON'T eat non-vegan things but some of them look or smell delicious to me and I find myself wishing and wishing they were vegan so I could have some.



It's not that hard to deal with though, I've never been tempted enough to actually eat it.
Earthling is offline  
#3 Old 12-13-2009, 11:59 AM
Ankle Biter
 
Poppy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Central Virginia, USA
Posts: 9,333
While the thought of eating non-vegan food doesn't make me gag, it sure doesn't appeal to me anymore (with rare exceptions). It didn't happen immediately, but it did happen over a pretty short period of time. I had an awakening over a few short weeks in the spring/summer of 2005. Becoming vegan wasn't something I had ever wanted to do, in fact it had seemed like a complete pita, but once I realized that it was something that would liberate me from my unease and give me peace of mind, there really wasn't much choice. I had to.



I am not religious, but I can empathize with people who have undergone religious conversions. I know what it's like to suddenly "see the light" and have the path appear before you.

It is our choices that show what we truly are far more than our abilities. ~A. Dumbledore
Poppy is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
#4 Old 12-13-2009, 12:29 PM
Veggie Regular
 
stanie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 1,282
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katoo View Post

I think I am one of the lucky ones.



When my husband and I started researching to be more cruelty-free in how we live our lives, we didn't have any idea that we'd end up being vegans. Funny thing is, he came to the conclusion first.



But for me, a switch flipped. I don't want to wear, eat, or wash in anything connected to animals. The very idea has instantly become revolting.



For my husband, a switch didn't switch, and the thought of eating animals isn't revolting to him, just wrong. So for him, it's harder and more difficult. His attitude is more along the lines of "doing his very best without sweating the small stuff". He happily eats whatever I prepare or whatever he cooks for himself, but in a social setting he might have "just a taste" of something, even though he does believe it is wrong. Not meat, but a buttered roll or a slice of cake. For me, bile rises at the thought of eating butter. It's a reflex. For him, he feels a bit deprived, will taste it, and find out for himself that it's not worth the taste.



So. I don't have to fight an urge and it's been easy for me. For him, he sees something he's eaten easily and happily his entire life, and he has to resist it.



What I didn't realize is that not everyone is lucky enough to get an instant gag reflex.



Your switch analogy is interesting, as i always refer to the flicking of a switch in regards to people suddenly "getting it" and going vegetaian, or vegan.

My wife and i often talk about how we get people to flick their switch (no innuendos please anybody!), if only we knew!
stanie is offline  
#5 Old 12-13-2009, 12:32 PM
Veggie Regular
 
amhappy1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 1,262
It is strange, but when I was vegetarian years ago before falling off the wagon, meat (obviously) was still appealing to me.



Now that I'm back and I'm vegan, the very thought of meat or even milk or eggs just grosses me out. I had to walk though the mess hall at work a few days ago and the smell almost made me vomit. I had to hold my breath and walk as quickly as possible or I wouldn't have made it.



Bacon still smells good, but the thought of eating slimy, greasy tortured pigs disgusts me. I feel very lucky.
amhappy1 is offline  
#6 Old 12-13-2009, 01:02 PM
Veggie Regular
 
Identity_thief's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 1,707
I understand what you mean, the miniute I said "I'm going vegetarian"/"I'm giving up dairy"/"I'm going vegan" I totally stop desiring non-veg*an products. Initially I was kind of... not replused by similar... and now I just don't see them as food items, it doesn't cross my mind to consider them. The only slight exception to this was eggs, only once or twice I thought "I fancy a poached egg" and it felt very strange, I felt guilty for thinking it. I feel sorry for people who feel like this all the time.



I find it quite easy to switch, it seems. I guess that's a good thing My resolve has never wavered, but I sympathise for those who aren't as lucky.
Identity_thief is offline  
#7 Old 12-13-2009, 01:23 PM
Veggie Regular
 
s0ad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 998
I have been getting this gag reflex more and more with meat. Its weird though, because I'll like the smell of many meats cooking, but the very idea of putting them in my mouth makes me ill. Unfortunately I don't have this same revolt with cheese. I've been tempted a few times, but have never given in. I can't see myself eating animal products again. When I think about eating something from an animal I feel so selfish that I could never do it.

Pinterest: AquaLoveBird
s0ad is offline  
#8 Old 12-13-2009, 01:23 PM
Veggie Regular
 
draconian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 1,082
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katoo View Post

So. I don't have to fight an urge and it's been easy for me. For him, he sees something he's eaten easily and happily his entire life, and he has to resist it.



What I didn't realize is that not everyone is lucky enough to get an instant gag reflex.



As someone who didn't go vegan till much later in life, I have years and years of "training" to eat meat as well as many good feelings/memories of eating it to overcome. Every book I read, every video I watch, each online post I interact with chips away at the old way of thinking and reinforces the new way of thinking. Some people can generate a new habit quickly, others may struggle for years.

--
The Twilight Is My Robe
draconian is offline  
#9 Old 12-13-2009, 07:54 PM
HNV
Veggie Regular
 
HNV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 802
Quote:
Originally Posted by amhappy1 View Post

It is strange, but when I was vegetarian years ago before falling off the wagon, meat (obviously) was still appealing to me.



Now that I'm back and I'm vegan, the very thought of meat or even milk or eggs just grosses me out. I had to walk though the mess hall at work a few days ago and the smell almost made me vomit. I had to hold my breath and walk as quickly as possible or I wouldn't have made it.



Bacon still smells good, but the thought of eating slimy, greasy tortured pigs disgusts me. I feel very lucky.



Bacon does smell good, as you state, the thought of it is disgusting and enough for me to not eat it.



Cheese on the other hand disgusts me in all aspects. As does seafood. I was in Whole Foods the other day and I walked by some produce that had some cheese lying by it and the stench of it just flooded my nostrils I thought I was going to vomit. I hate walking by where my soy yogurts are because the seafood section is right there and the stench always invades my nose.

The worst sin toward our fellow creatures is not to hate them, but to be indifferent to them. That is the essence of humanity.
HNV is offline  
#10 Old 12-13-2009, 08:29 PM
Newbie
 
VeganDeb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 23
My transition started several years ago, when my Mom passed away at the age of 70. I started to look at my family tree and found that everyone had died of some strange illness or cancer by the time they were 70 ? 72. That scared me ! I started getting back into allot of readings on health and found that meats were connected to almost every known illness ! Becoming vegetarian was not difficult at all, since I have never cared for meat and LOVE VEGGIES ! But, dropping the cheese and eggs was more difficult. Thinking of eggs as chicken embryos did the trick for me. As I read, I found more and more about the suffering of animals for our dietary needs. That sealed it all for me. I cannot ever imagine putting any animal flesh or by product into my mouth again ! Plant based foods for me!
VeganDeb is offline  
#11 Old 12-13-2009, 08:32 PM
Veggie Regular
 
SomebodyElse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: In a California Ghost Town
Posts: 7,245
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katoo View Post

I think I am one of the lucky ones.

Yeah it makes it very easy. I don't gag, but sometimes when I wander along the frozen food aisle and see pizza the thought of swallowing that cheese makes my throat close up, and I used to love pizza. I've even had an eggmare once. Most people get meatmares, and I have had some of those, but this was an eggmare. I dreamed I came into the kitchen of my childhood home and there was a huge cast iron pan on the stove, full of scrambled eggs swimming in what looked like a quart of melted butter, and I was completely revolted.

www.thesaucyvegan.com
SomebodyElse is offline  
#12 Old 12-13-2009, 08:40 PM
Veggie Regular
 
penny79's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 4,946
That does sound really gross!!! A collander full of fresh veggies, on the other hand.....
penny79 is offline  
#13 Old 12-13-2009, 09:13 PM
Veggie Regular
 
Katoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 355
Quote:
Originally Posted by SomebodyElse View Post

Yeah it makes it very easy. I don't gag, but sometimes when I wander along the frozen food aisle and see pizza the thought of swallowing that cheese makes my throat close up, and I used to love pizza. I've even had an eggmare once. Most people get meatmares, and I have had some of those, but this was an eggmare. I dreamed I came into the kitchen of my childhood home and there was a huge cast iron pan on the stove, full of scrambled eggs swimming in what looked like a quart of melted butter, and I was completely revolted.



Oh my gosh, my husband had a weird dream last night and I didn't even think about it being caused by becoming a vegan. He and I were in a cottage along with our dog Ozzy. John woke up because Ozzy had gotten out and was chasing sheep in a field outside. As John is getting dressed there is a knock on the door and he opens it and there stands the farmer holding Ozzy. My husband offers him a cup of tea, and the farmer asks John to scramble him some eggs.
Katoo is offline  
#14 Old 12-14-2009, 05:08 PM
Veggie Regular
 
*Star*Lass*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 2,360
For the first month of being vegan i struggled a little with cakes and cheese. But now, 3 months on, i'm not tempted anymore. I don't have a gag reflex but i see food with animal products very differently. E.g. if i see a non-vegan cake now i think about the life of the poor chicken and what it went through just for that cake stupid cake. Same with cheese..... the milk was stolen from a poor calf and God only knows where that calf is now and how it's mother is suffering. It's enough for them to loose their appeal.



I had a dream the other night that i was on a school trip (i'm 27!) and my vegan dinner went missing. I was starving and they called the police in to find my vegan sausage roll! Then a girl said she would help me find something to eat. In the meantime she offered me something she was eating... a bag of nuts and raisins... and i accidently ate a white chocolate covered raisin! hehe.
*Star*Lass* is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in


Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off