"Finished product not tested on animals" - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 12-09-2009, 06:05 PM
Veggie Regular

Is this statement basically a confession from the company that the ingredients were tested on animals? I'd almost rather use a product with no statement at all versus one with this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 12-09-2009, 06:23 PM
Veggie Regular

That's what I assume. I noticed that on Bath and Body Works labeling when I went in there with a friend. So I figured by the whole "Finished product not tested on animals" just meant that while the finished product wasn't tested, the ingredients were or might've been before they were all combined into the finished product. So I didn't buy anything.

As long as there are slaughterhouses there will be battlefields. - Leo Tolstoy
My blog -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#3 Old 12-09-2009, 06:26 PM
Veggie Regular

Yeah, no, I wouldn't buy something that said that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 12-09-2009, 08:12 PM
Veggie Regular

I agree. I only like labels that say things like 'not tested on animals, does not contain animal ingredients'.
#5 Old 12-09-2009, 08:33 PM
Veggie Regular

I don't like that statement, either. It's hard to say whether they're unsure; maybe something they obtained from somewhere else was tested - or perhaps they tested individual ingredients themselves. In any case, i avoid those items as well.
#6 Old 12-09-2009, 11:40 PM

It usually means that the final product was not tested on animals but the individual ingredients probably have been at some point in time... in some cases by the very company flaunting the "Finished product not tested on animals." label. It's also used if the company that made the finished product is unsure of the specifics origins of their ingredients. Either way, that label is a red flag for me and I move on.
#7 Old 12-10-2009, 12:21 AM
HNV
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by DgyJff View Post

Is this statement basically a confession from the company that the ingredients were tested on animals? I'd almost rather use a product with no statement at all versus one with this.

I personally avoid both, I think its a cop out for a company to say they don't test on animals, but yet they can't guarantee that ingredients they get to make the products aren't tested on animals..

As a consumer I have the responsibility to know what I am buying, which is by doing my research and reading labels, companies are "consumers too" and really should employ the same responsibilities. Caveat Emptor.

The worst sin toward our fellow creatures is not to hate them, but to be indifferent to them. That is the essence of humanity.
#8 Old 12-10-2009, 08:58 PM
Veggie Regular

I try to avoid both as well, but it seems that companies who choose to put this statement on the label are doing so to tug at consumers' heartstrings. And I guess for an omni who isn't all that aware of the reality of animal testing, seeing this label would be really positive, like they're making a difference by buying it.
#9 Old 12-11-2009, 02:23 AM
Veggie Regular

I only by products from companies who don't test on animals. However, I understand in different whereabouts this has different difficulty, for me though it's easy enough.

I'd email the company to clarify what they mean, but on the whole, it does seem to imply the products ingrediants/etc were tested on animals. It seems a strange thing to write, most companies just wouldn;'t say anything at all since it doesn't cross peoples minds.
#10 Old 12-11-2009, 09:29 PM
Veggie Regular

I don't have a problem with that statement. At least they are being honest. It isn't possible to buy health and beauty products that aren't in some way tested on animals, whether it's the finished product or the components.

An excerpt from Clinical Laboratory Animal Medicine by Karen Hrapkiewicz: "The Food, Drug, and Cosmetic Act mandates that prescription drugs be tested first in preclinical animal studies and then in clinical human trials prior to marketing to the general public to ensure they are safe and effective products. Companies that sell beauty and cosmetic products to a largely uneducated group of consumers often misuse the term cruelty-free as a marketing tool. These companies claim that they conduct no animal testing. The reality is that their products are either tested by an outside laboratory or are made of compounds known to be safe through previous animal testing."

I am completely against animal testing, but you do the best you can. Until the laws change, there will be products that you just can't buy without them having been tested on animals in some way, shape or form.
#11 Old 12-11-2009, 09:30 PM
Veggie Regular

I just got some lotion as a gift that said that, and that almost skeeved me more than if it just hadn't said anything. It conjured up some pretty awful images!!

http://megatarian.blogspot.com
#12 Old 12-11-2009, 09:39 PM
Beginner

bath and body works is what i noticed this on too. they can leave out one ingredient or even less of one and squirt it in some poor bunnies eye. way to try and trick people.
#13 Old 12-13-2009, 11:27 AM
Veggie Regular

I was told that companies can use the 'not tested on animals' label IF the product has been 'on the shelf for x years'. Someone told me this, so I'm not sure whether its true - they were talking about Body Shop products at the time, implying that the products may have been tested at some point, but because they were held for x amount of years, there was some loop hole that allowed then to use the label. I really don't know if this is true or not, has anyone come across this before ?
#14 Old 12-13-2009, 11:49 AM
Veggie Regular

Everything has had either components or requisite technology and components tested on animals at some point. The issue I think is whether consuming something is going to encourage *more* animal testing by purchasing something from a company actively testing on animals, or whether it is not directly economically connected to animal testing. If soap was tested on rabbits, buying 10 bars of the soap isn't going to result in 10 more rabbits suffering, it will have exactly the same impact as if you buy just 1 bar of the soap, whereas buying 10 rabbit soups or rabbit fur coats will require ten times the number of rabbits to suffer as if you only bought one of each.
#15 Old 12-13-2009, 09:48 PM
Veggie Regular

I guess it's true that even cruelty free products use ingredients they know to be safe through prior testing, but if we are already aware of safe ingredients, why are companies still testing today? And I certainly don't think that by me avoiding a certain product it's going to make some dramatic difference for the company, but me not eating any meat today didn't make a difference either. I still didn't eat any though, and I'll still avoid products with this label.
#16 Old 12-14-2009, 07:37 AM

Quote:

I guess it's true that even cruelty free products use ingredients they know to be safe through prior testing, but if we are already aware of safe ingredients, why are companies still testing today?

Marketing. If they didn't keep coming up with new ingredients they wouldn't be able to keep launching "new and improved" products with big advertising budgets and would lose customers to the competition.
#17 Old 12-14-2009, 12:49 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by amhappy1 View Post

does not contain animal ingredients'.

That doesn't make them vegan though. I recently bought a load of stuff that had that label and also the BUAV symbol and realised that some of the products cantained ingredients from bees - beeswax, propolis and manuka honey. So it still pays to check ingredients too.
#18 Old 12-14-2009, 05:15 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Star*Lass* View Post

That doesn't make them vegan though. I recently bought a load of stuff that had that label and also the BUAV symbol and realised that some of the products cantained ingredients from bees - beeswax, propolis and manuka honey. So it still pays to check ingredients too.

I too, I found products before that stated no animal ingredients, only to find beeswax
#19 Old 12-14-2009, 09:21 PM
Veggie Regular

I already knew that most ingredients in cosmetics and personal care products are tested on animals. But that doesn't mean we need to test the SAME ingredients again. We know they're safe. Move on.

Also, just because a specific ingredient has been tested on animals, it doesn't mean that THAT specific company did the testing. Christ, I'm sure at some point someone laboratory tested extra virgin olive oil on a bunny. Does that mean I'm going to quit using it? No. For a really amazing list of companies that DO NOT test on animals, check out http://www.leapingbunny.org/ for a comprehensive list. You'd have to check each individual product's ingredients for animal products (mainly beeswax or honey), but it's a really good starting place.

Also note that only the leaping bunny has any real standards attached to it, all other bunny symbols do not. DON'T BE FOOLED BY INFERIOR RABBITS! :-)
#20 Old 12-15-2009, 08:24 AM
Veggie Regular

Just like Public Enemy says..."Can't Trust it!"
#21 Old 12-15-2009, 09:09 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

I too, I found products before that stated no animal ingredients, only to find beeswax

Bees aren't the cute and cuddly animal variety are they...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page