Flu food - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 11-17-2009, 07:45 AM
Veggie Regular

Yep. Fever, sore throat, achy, earache, constant cough.

Miso broth?

Suggestions welcome.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 11-17-2009, 07:55 AM
Veggie Regular

I just got a jar of "no chicken" broth that has a recipe for "chik*n soup" soup on it that I can't wait to make.

I make "squiggle noodle soup" for my kiddos that seems salty, but isn't. It's ramon noodles, but I make the broth out of water, Braggs liquid Aminos, dried minced onion, and garlic powder. It's really good and tastes just like those nasty little pkts..lol

I'm sorry you aren't feeling well. ((hugs))
#3 Old 11-17-2009, 07:55 AM
Banned

If you really want to feel better try Mr Falafel's Fever Cure All:

Peel a whole bulb of garlic (not a clove, a entire head of garlic) and place the garlic cloves into a blender. Add 2 tbsp or so of olive oil and then blend the garlic and oil into a paste. Thickly spread this paste onto a couple of pieces of bread and place in the oven grill for a couple of minutes to slightly toast the bread and make the garlic paste bubble a bit. Eat when cool enough to not burn you. Repeat this treatment twice a day until you feel better.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 11-17-2009, 07:56 AM
Banned

#5 Old 11-17-2009, 08:07 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrFalafel View Post

Peel a whole bulb of garlic (not a clove, a entire head of garlic) and place the garlic cloves into a blender. Add 2 tbsp or so of olive oil and then blend the garlic and oil into a paste. Thickly spread this paste onto a couple of pieces of bread and place in the oven grill for a couple of minutes to slightly toast the bread and make the garlic paste bubble a bit. Eat when cool enough to not burn you. Repeat this treatment twice a day until you feel better.

I have to tell you what I did (although, I should NOT admit this because it is proof that I am a very blonde airhead!)

I felt like I was getting a cold and all I could remember was MrFalafel said garlic toast. For some reason, I thought it had to be roasted, but I didn't want to wait that long, so I thought I'd roast my garlic in the microwave (It had worked in the past). NOT THIS TIME! Something went wrong and the smoke started bellowing out of the microwave and my little bulb of garlic was black and almost on fire!!! I was too embarrased to yell for my husband in the other room, so I quietly opened all the windows and doors before the smoke detector went off and tried to sneek the stinky mess into a can so I could put it out on the porch. I turned around and he and the 2 boys were standing there staring at me wondering why on earth I didn't yell for them...lol It took days to get the smell out of the microwave.

Now seeing the recipe written down for me again....I really didn't need to go through all of that, did I?
#6 Old 11-17-2009, 08:10 AM
Banned

Pardon me while I
#7 Old 11-17-2009, 08:54 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treehugger267 View Post

I have to tell you what I did (although, I should NOT admit this because it is proof that I am a very blonde airhead!)

I felt like I was getting a cold and all I could remember was MrFalafel said garlic toast. For some reason, I thought it had to be roasted, but I didn't want to wait that long, so I thought I'd roast my garlic in the microwave (It had worked in the past). NOT THIS TIME! Something went wrong and the smoke started bellowing out of the microwave and my little bulb of garlic was black and almost on fire!!! I was too embarrased to yell for my husband in the other room, so I quietly opened all the windows and doors before the smoke detector went off and tried to sneek the stinky mess into a can so I could put it out on the porch. I turned around and he and the 2 boys were standing there staring at me wondering why on earth I didn't yell for them...lol It took days to get the smell out of the microwave.

Ha, I did something similar once, just because I think I didn't roast the garlic long enough, thought I'd put it in the microwave to finish cooking. Same thing, black garlic that STUNK for days. Who knew you couldn't microwave garlic?

That garlic toast sure does sound yummy though. Next time I'm sick I will try it. Any excuse for tons of garlic

I usually just stick with broth or toast. I saw something on TV, I believe it was on The Doctors talk show, that said to eat the BRAT diet when you're sick - Bananas, rice, applesauce, and toast. I guess it depends on your stomach, not sure I could handle all that if I was sick.
#8 Old 11-17-2009, 09:11 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrFalafel View Post

I'm going to try this later. Thank you.
#9 Old 11-17-2009, 06:11 PM
Veggie Regular

I LOVE garlic I might try that sometime haha.

“May all sentient beings be free of pain and suffering.  May all sentient beings experience eternal joy and happiness.  gate gate pāragate pārasaṃgate bodhi svāhā.”
http://www.facebook.com/doktormartini
http://twitter.com/#!/MartyBaureis
http://doktormartini.tumblr.com

#10 Old 11-17-2009, 06:35 PM
Veggie Regular

Ginger tea.

Grate some gingerroot. Put it in a diffuser. Steep in hot water for five minutes. You may want to add some sugar.

Ginger is a strong anti-inflamitory. It also works well for sore throats.
#11 Old 11-17-2009, 06:48 PM
Veggie Regular

Some hot sorghum and cinnamon tea with a splash of vegan whiskey.

And this soup...

#12 Old 11-17-2009, 06:56 PM
Veggie Regular

My favorite sick day one pot soup-

You need:

Olive oil

One onion

3-4 cloves of garlic

6 cups of veggie broth or no-chicken broth

Italian seasoning to taste

one large can of crushed tomatoes

one large can of diced tomatoes

9 ounces pasta of choice*

salt and pepper to taste

one 12 ounce bag of spinach, stems removed

Chop onion and garlic, cook in oil until soft, about 5 min. Add broth and seasoning. bring to a boil, simmer 5 min. Add canned tomatoes, pasta, and s&p, bring back to boil, simmer another 5 min. Add spinach, cook until wilted.

This takes about half an hour from start to finish, and it's so good. The spicier you make it, the more it'll make your nose run/help clear you up.

*The best pasta is refrigerated tortellini that you buy in the stores, but I have used all kinds of pasta, bow tie, gnocchi, etc. If you use dried pasta, cook it half way before adding it.

Who needs sleep when we've got love?
Who needs keys when we've got clubs?
Who needs please when we've got guns?
Who needs peace when we've gone above?
#13 Old 11-17-2009, 07:13 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbleforlola View Post

My favorite sick day one pot soup-

You need:

Olive oil

One onion

3-4 cloves of garlic

6 cups of veggie broth or no-chicken broth

Italian seasoning to taste

one large can of crushed tomatoes

one large can of diced tomatoes

9 ounces pasta of choice*

salt and pepper to taste

one 12 ounce bag of spinach, stems removed

Chop onion and garlic, cook in oil until soft, about 5 min. Add broth and seasoning. bring to a boil, simmer 5 min. Add canned tomatoes, pasta, and s&p, bring back to boil, simmer another 5 min. Add spinach, cook until wilted.

This takes about half an hour from start to finish, and it's so good. The spicier you make it, the more it'll make your nose run/help clear you up.

*The best pasta is refrigerated tortellini that you buy in the stores, but I have used all kinds of pasta, bow tie, gnocchi, etc. If you use dried pasta, cook it half way before adding it.

I'm not sick, but I think I'll have to make that soon. Sounds so good!

http://bringingyouohm.wordpress.com/

Lokah Samastah Sukhino Bhavanto

'May everyone everywhere be happy
May the whole world be joyous'
#14 Old 11-18-2009, 07:58 AM
Veggie Regular

Geez...who wants to cook ANYTHING when they're sick? Hahaha
#15 Old 11-18-2009, 08:04 AM
Veggie Regular

That's why it is imperative to do enough whining to get your S.O. to make it for you.

Who needs sleep when we've got love?
Who needs keys when we've got clubs?
Who needs please when we've got guns?
Who needs peace when we've gone above?
#16 Old 11-18-2009, 08:06 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiseki View Post

Geez...who wants to cook ANYTHING when they're sick? Hahaha

That's why I gave my famous gourmet "squiggle noodle soup" recipe..LOL
#17 Old 11-18-2009, 08:09 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbleforlola View Post

That's why it is imperative to do enough whining to get your S.O. to make it for you.

Don't have 1 of those I'm stuck with my lentil soup!
#18 Old 11-18-2009, 08:11 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treehugger267 View Post

That's why I gave my famous gourmet "squiggle noodle soup" recipe..LOL

Yeah, that soup looks ridiculously good but no way in hell I would prepare that in a HEALTHY state! LOL I'm lazy.
#19 Old 11-19-2009, 07:13 AM
Rat Queen/Mouse Matriarch

When I get sick, I crave citrus.

I can't abandon the person I used to be, so I carry her.
#20 Old 11-19-2009, 07:25 AM
Veggie Regular

I just heard on the news yesterday that drinking tea boosts your immune system during a flu, something about helping the white blood cells fight infection, but he said five cups a day. Not sure I could drink that much.

Otherwise, I'd go heavy on the antioxidants like in fruit, berries, etc. Feel better.
#21 Old 11-19-2009, 01:47 PM
Veggie Regular

I had the flu a couple of weeks ago and I swear pesto made me feel better. Probably because it was the only thing I could taste, but my adice is to make a some (or get it out of a jar if you have it).
#22 Old 11-19-2009, 02:54 PM
Veggie Regular

Orange juice - warmed up to room temperature. Tons of vit C and anti-oxidants.

As a comfort food - cream of wheat. (I am not aware of any health benefits but it lifts up my spirits if I am sick) Yum.

(I have to say though that I have not had colds or flu in years so this info might be a little outdated....)
#23 Old 10-14-2013, 02:28 PM

Thank you everyone for the great tips

#24 Old 10-17-2013, 12:18 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loulelou View Post

I had the flu a couple of weeks ago and I swear pesto made me feel better. Probably because it was the only thing I could taste, but my adice is to make a some (or get it out of a jar if you have it).

Fresh basil and pine nuts both have a lot of antioxidants. That could be a reason.. that and good food always raises your spirits.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page