Raw foodists have very quick and almost painfree labor & child birth? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 
 2Likes

#1 Old 11-09-2009, 10:31 AM
Beginner

So, I've been researching raw food diets and have found several different women who said that their raw vegan pregnancies were completely different than their processed-food pregnancies.

For example, several of the raw foodists stated they did not even realize they were in labor. It took approximately 2-4 minutes for them to give birth. They said that the experience was very calm and they could not believe they had just given birth. All of them had given birth in the past while on a processed diet and said it was the "typical" painful birth and their labors had lasted 2-10 hours.

They site examples that animals in nature also have relatively calm, quick births while on a raw diet.

Have any non-raw foodists looked into this topic before?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 11-09-2009, 10:36 AM
Herbivorous Urchin

I've never ever heard of such a thing, ever.

Quote:
"You will always be fond of me. I represent to you all the sins you never had the courage to commit.”
Oscar Wilde, The Picture of Dorian Gray
#3 Old 11-09-2009, 10:39 AM
Banned

sorry, but sounds like a crock to me. some people do have easier labours than others- for example, my mum, (then an omni), had both me and my bro (separately) in 2 hours tops from start to finish, and said it "really wasn't half as bad as they make is seem on telly with all the screaming and drama nonsense". but i cannot see at all how not cooking food is gonna make your uterus contract in some magical high speed, high efficiency, stealth manner. i think this might be one of those one-upmanship things where peoples stories get more and more contrived over time, or that the raw mums were maybe stoned.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 11-09-2009, 10:41 AM
Banned

2 - 4 minutes? Yeah, they're making it up

Raw foodists often, in my experience, present their diet as a panacea for all sorts of health problems. It's entirely based on personal anecdotes, often from people who didn't consult a medical professional and so were never actually diagnosed with things they claimed to be cured from. Take it all with a pinch of salt and look for evidence backing it up, don't listen to anecdotal claims.
#5 Old 11-09-2009, 10:41 AM
Veggie Regular

I have heard claims like this many times. I don't know how valid they are and since I'm "fixed", there's no way to "test" any of those theories. I do know that when I eat a primarily raw diet, my periods are shorter and lighter.

I think if you want further info on this, you might want to ask in a well-established raw board since asking here (in a "cooked" board) might not give you the answers you're looking for.
#6 Old 11-09-2009, 10:42 AM
Veggie Regular

i think (and also speaking from experience) birthing tends to get easier, faster, more calm, etc. (unless there is a problem) for subsequent pregnancies. in order to test these claims, you'd need a very large number of women who have been raw for a significant amount of time, had babies, then went to a processed food diet and had slow freak-out births.

"Somewhere along the way, someone is going to tell you, 'There is no "I" in team.' What you should tell them is, 'Maybe not. But there is an "I" in independence, individuality and integrity." Â George Carlin
#7 Old 11-09-2009, 10:42 AM
Veggie Regular

Did these women also have doulas? Home births? Or did they have a typical hospital birth? In my experience, people who are veg*n/raw are also more likely to use midwives and other non-traditional birthing methods. This is probably a factor as well.

Who needs sleep when we've got love?
Who needs keys when we've got clubs?
Who needs please when we've got guns?
Who needs peace when we've gone above?
#8 Old 11-09-2009, 10:47 AM
Herbivorous Urchin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbleforlola View Post

Did these women also have doulas? Home births? Or did they have a typical hospital birth? In my experience, people who are veg*n/raw are also more likely to use midwives and other non-traditional birthing methods. This is probably a factor as well.

Favorite quote on this subject: "I'm having my baby the way god intended, in a hospital numb from the waist down."
melimomTARDIS likes this.

Quote:
"You will always be fond of me. I represent to you all the sins you never had the courage to commit.”
Oscar Wilde, The Picture of Dorian Gray
#9 Old 11-09-2009, 10:50 AM
Veggie Regular

I'm sorry - but if your driving a semi truck through a small garage opening you're going to have some structural issues no matter what you had for lunch.
SkepticalVegan likes this.
#10 Old 11-09-2009, 10:53 AM
Pan

While I am trying to make the majority of my diet raw foods, I highly doubt that raw causes women to experience "painless" 2-4 minute births. Is there less pain? Maybe. Might it not be as stressful? Sure. Painless? No. You are squeezing a watermelon sized baby out of an opening the size of a lemon. SOMETHING will hurt at some point. Maybe they were talking about the pushing process only taking 2-4 minutes. I've heard of that before.
#11 Old 11-09-2009, 11:01 AM
Baby Love

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alicia Avocado View Post

I'm sorry - but if your driving a semi truck through a small garage opening you're going to have some structural issues no matter what you had for lunch.

Thats awesome.
#12 Old 11-09-2009, 11:05 AM

I know some women say that their periods are less painful after turning vegan but I don't know if going raw vegan would help with childbirth.
#13 Old 11-09-2009, 11:36 AM
Kiz
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by LemonZest View Post

For example, several of the raw foodists stated they did not even realize they were in labor. It took approximately 2-4 minutes for them to give birth. They said that the experience was very calm and they could not believe they had just given birth.

Oh, that sounds awful. Imagine standing in line at the supermarket or bank, the line is a bit slow, then 2 to 4 minute later a baby suddenly pops out, right on the floor, because you didn't even realise you were in labour. Sounds like evolutionary disaster waiting to happen - imagine the consequences of random baby dropping in cave man times. Frankly, this is an argument against raw pregnancies. If everyone went raw pregnant ladies would be having their babies all over the streets, every where. 2 minute birth and you don't even know it's happening?

Love the post? Why not buy the T-shirt!
http://www.kiz-shop.de/index.php?page=categorie&cat=8
http://www.kiz-shop.de/index.php?page=product&info=94
#14 Old 11-09-2009, 12:33 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alicia Avocado View Post

Mental images like that make my uterus shrivel up in sheer horror.

"If we could live happy and healthy lives without harming others... why wouldn't we?" - Edgars Mission
#15 Old 11-09-2009, 02:04 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiz View Post

Oh, that sounds awful. Imagine standing in line at the supermarket or bank, the line is a bit slow, then 2 to 4 minute later a baby suddenly pops out, right on the floor, because you didn't even realise you were in labour. Sounds like evolutionary disaster waiting to happen - imagine the consequences of random baby dropping in cave man times. Frankly, this is an argument against raw pregnancies. If everyone went raw pregnant ladies would be having their babies all over the streets, every where. 2 minute birth and you don't even know it's happening?

#16 Old 11-09-2009, 02:06 PM
Veggie Regular

Sounds like hooey..just sayin'
#17 Old 11-09-2009, 02:28 PM
Pan

I really am starting to think maybe these women referred to the actual pushing phase of childbirth as "the birthing process". A woman can go through the pushing phase in only a few pushes, while others can take hours. Maybe this is what they were referring to and not the ENTIRE process of childbirth. And not knowing you are in labor? The uterus contracts and that's pretty painful (or so my friend told me ) so I really don't think a diet can make you unaware of labor. A woman is supposed to know they are going into labor. In nature, females going into labor know it and search out a safe place to give birth. The pain is a signal "Hey, something's going to happen soon! Better get comfy!"
#18 Old 11-09-2009, 02:44 PM
Veggie Regular

Maybe they gave birth to little tiny babies.

Yanno, like half a pound.

Omg, you know what that means, right? Raw diets let you give birth to BONSAI BABIES! Yaaaaay!

(I said it on the internet. It must be true.)
SkepticalVegan likes this.
#19 Old 11-09-2009, 02:54 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Semicharmed View Post

Raw diets let you give birth to BONSAI BABIES! Yaaaaay!

This is the best argument I've ever heard for a raw food diet.
#20 Old 11-09-2009, 03:44 PM
Veggie Regular

I have seen a few raw people say this, and I have no reason to doubt that what they are saying is true. I imagine, since cooked food causes inflammation and other problems, that eliminating it (cooked food) can and does allow for an easier, comparably, childbirth.

I think if you want to go raw, there are many, many reasons for it, least of all childbirth.
#21 Old 11-09-2009, 03:58 PM
Beginner

I completely agree that birth is extremely painful, but we never hear of someone coming across a cow, horse, moose or bear lying in labor for 12-36 hours (like humans). There are rare cases of difficult deliveries. These animals all deliver one extremely large calf.

The raw foodists did say that labor was "uncomfortable" but certainly nothing compared to the labor of their friends, siblings and mothers. One woman laid in the bath tub to relieve her back pain and her mid-wife checked and saw that she was dilated 9mm.

It would be logical if the birth experience was supposed to be a bit easier since it is supposed to be a natural part of life.

I am going to do more research on this topic. I read several years ago that the Native Americans during the 1850's did not understand why Europeans had such difficult birth experiences. I read that the Native American women had a relatively easy time in child birth compared to Europeans. I am wondering if it was linked to the diet.

I'm going to go do more research. I try to keep an open mind. Diet can truly amaze us at times.
#22 Old 11-09-2009, 04:07 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by LemonZest View Post

I completely agree that birth is extremely painful, but we never hear of someone coming across a cow, horse, moose or bear lying in labor for 12-36 hours (like humans). There are rare cases of difficult deliveries. These animals all deliver one extremely large calf.

None of those animals stand and walk upright all their lives, do they?

The trade-off for humans being bipedal was that the birth canal became much smaller than in quadrupedal animals. You cannot compare a human labour to that of a cow in any meaningful way.
#23 Old 11-09-2009, 04:23 PM
Veggie Regular

There are so many factors going into something like childbirth it would be very difficult to do a study to prove this, but people brought up good points. The women you are referring to were having subsequent children, and labor and birth for the first child is often twice as long and painful as any subsequent births. Other good points- Doulas, midwives... Raw women are probably much more likely to have a less traditional birth experience. They may be far more educated about the process than average (I would wager these women are researchers... They research the birthing process as much as they research food). They are also probably more likely to be in good physical condition because they care about their bodies, what they are putting in it, etc. I would also wager these women fear birth less than the average woman, as they trust in the natural process of birth and in their bodies doing what they were designed to do.

Fear is a huge component in pain during childbirth. It also can slow down labor and arrest completely.

Basically, I don't doubt these women have an easier time in labor and childbirth than average, but I don't think their raw food diet would be the cause, or the only cause. There would be a lot of factors involved that would probably play a bigger role.

http://bringingyouohm.wordpress.com/

Lokah Samastah Sukhino Bhavanto

'May everyone everywhere be happy
May the whole world be joyous'
#24 Old 11-09-2009, 06:54 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by synergy View Post

There are so many factors going into something like childbirth it would be very difficult to do a study to prove this, but people brought up good points. The women you are referring to were having subsequent children, and labor and birth for the first child is often twice as long and painful as any subsequent births. Other good points- Doulas, midwives... Raw women are probably much more likely to have a less traditional birth experience. They may be far more educated about the process than average (I would wager these women are researchers... They research the birthing process as much as they research food). They are also probably more likely to be in good physical condition because they care about their bodies, what they are putting in it, etc. I would also wager these women fear birth less than the average woman, as they trust in the natural process of birth and in their bodies doing what they were designed to do.

Fear is a huge component in pain during childbirth. It also can slow down labor and arrest completely.

Basically, I don't doubt these women have an easier time in labor and childbirth than average, but I don't think their raw food diet would be the cause, or the only cause. There would be a lot of factors involved that would probably play a bigger role.

exactly.
#25 Old 11-09-2009, 07:07 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earthling View Post

None of those animals stand and walk upright all their lives, do they?

The trade-off for humans being bipedal was that the birth canal became much smaller than in quadrupedal animals. You cannot compare a human labour to that of a cow in any meaningful way.

Yes, evolutionary we developed smaller pelvises to walk upright and bigger brains which means bigger heads. A human newborn's head makes up about 25% of its body surface area, a newborn cow I suspect about 10%. We also have wide shoulders - cows don't.
#26 Old 02-06-2013, 01:33 AM

I've heard from freelea the banana girl that she has pain-free periods as opposed to pain before going low fat.

#27 Old 02-06-2013, 01:58 PM
Veggie Regular

I heard that you can eliminate your period with a raw food diet http://www.welikeitraw.com/rawfood/2008/04/the-bloody-trut.html
not that I would advise to try

No gods, No masters, No woo, No whey! Ⓥ
Read my blog and be skeptical not susceptible
http://skepticalvegan.wordpress.com/
#28 Old 02-06-2013, 02:24 PM
Veggie Regular

I've been raw for years and still get my period.

People on cooked food diets sometimes have amenorrhea.  There are many different causes.

#29 Old 02-06-2013, 03:27 PM
Veggie Regular

part of the reason I posted the link was because its was being celebrated as a good thing

No gods, No masters, No woo, No whey! Ⓥ
Read my blog and be skeptical not susceptible
http://skepticalvegan.wordpress.com/
#30 Old 06-10-2015, 11:16 PM

I gave birth while following a mix of "The Mcdougall Program" and "Eat To Live", diets based on whole grains and vegetables with no added oils or processed foods. I went the natural route and I found the pregnancy and early labor were very easy and I experienced no pain, I even went to sleep for awhile. Hard labor wasn't any worse than a bad period until the very end, I did scream in agony as the baby was pushed out. The nurses were shocked at how little I bled though, the whole thing took about 10 hours. I would say that it was mainly the high vegetable intake along with relatively low fat that made such an easy birth, I also used to suffer from painful periods before changing to a healthier diet. I no longer have any kind of pain or discomfort with my menstrual cycle.

Since giving birth I've researched a lot and learned that positioning makes a big difference as far as pain, the natural way to give birth is on all fours, so the baby easily slips out. Laying on your back causes awkward positioning and can contribute to complications. Also, the way women are encouraged to PUSH PUSH PUSH while giving birth in hospitals is unnatural, and wasn't popularized until the 1920s. Animals in nature only push when the urge arises. Research has suggested that forcing yourself to push is what causes tearing in nearly 50% of births. It seems like common sense that giving birth should be as relaxing and un-interferring as possible if the goal is to decrease pain.

Of course, exercise during pregnancy also makes a big difference in the pain factor. I was almost completely sedentary during my pregnancy because I was badly depressed, so I'll be interested in seeing if my labor is even easier next time around. It sounds reasonable to me that a high raw diet could, at the very least contribute positively to a birthing experience, and at this point I do believe labor can be much easier than even the wonderful one I experienced.

I intend to try different methods of childbirth, when I eventually have more children, to test my theory. I don't think I will ever go completely raw however -- I'm no expert, but I believe at least some cooked food is important to get adequate calories that are not solely derived from high fat plant foods -- but based on stories I've heard about raw food vegans giving birth, I think I will definitely be incorporating much more raw food into my diet. I tend to think most raw food health claims are based on bad science that doesn't support their message, but to me it's common sense that the more natural a food is the healthier it is to consume. In fact, I think the only reason cooked food is even necessary is because we've been eating this agricultural diet for so long that our caloric needs have GREATLY increased. A person living in the middle ages would have been much smaller in stature and able to subsist on almost half the calories of a modern American, meaning that getting those calories solely from vegetables would have been feasible. Even the structure of our jaws has deteriorated as a result of eating soft diets, leading to a smaller lower jaw, causing crooked teeth and painful jaw disorders in many people. That indicates to me that a mostly cooked diet is not ideal, and could indeed be causing even more dysfunction to our lives, such as painful childbirth.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page