family coming to eat. what am i gonna eat? :[ - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 10-10-2009, 05:01 PM
Veggie Regular

some of my family is coming tomorrow from out of state to have lunch. i offered to cook something and my mother and grandmother were like "uh, no". they think all the stuff i eat is weird. so now they're making tacos (aka hamburger meat and cheese in a shell) and banana pudding (milk and butter totally ruining bananas). so now what am i gonna eat? i'd prefer that my veganism not be a topic of conversation b/c i know no one will be on my side of the issue but me. it's really tearing my nerves up. what can i do?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 10-10-2009, 05:44 PM
Veggie Regular

Are the tacos going to be already made? If not, just skip the meat layer, that's what I do and maybe you could bring a dessert that you like for them to try.
#3 Old 10-10-2009, 05:58 PM
Veggie Regular

You could use soy cheese and tvp and make your own tacos. You could also make a yummie vegan dessert.

Your veganism will be a topic of conversation. Remember that you only get one family and be glad that they aren't moving in with you.

Let them know that you are happy and do not apologize.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 10-10-2009, 06:15 PM

You can easily veganize tacos And banana pudding!

I use smart grounds and use regular taco seasoning. Instead of cheese I load on avocado and lettuce and hot sauce.

and you can google vegan banana pudding for a recipe. Make them yourself and bring them. Then dare someone to try it and they'll be surprised that it actually tastes good.
#5 Old 10-10-2009, 06:17 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treehugger267 View Post

Are the tacos going to be already made? If not, just skip the meat layer, that's what I do and maybe you could bring a dessert that you like for them to try.

That's what I decided to do. I got beans and rice too. So I can have a taco with salsa, beans, rice, and jalapenos.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amhappy1 View Post

You could use soy cheese and tvp and make your own tacos. You could also make a yummie vegan dessert.

Your veganism will be a topic of conversation. Remember that you only get one family and be glad that they aren't moving in with you.

Let them know that you are happy and do not apologize.

Thank you for this. It's best not to delude myself. I'm just gonna prepare for that conversation. If/when it comes up, I'm just gonna say that it's my personal choice and I'm happy.
#6 Old 10-10-2009, 06:53 PM
Veggie Regular

Wait, they're coming from out of state... to where? Your house? If it's your house, it's your rules. In my house, people may bring meat in if they choose but they may not cook it, simple as that.
#7 Old 10-10-2009, 07:57 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockindancer86 View Post

Wait, they're coming from out of state... to where? Your house? If it's your house, it's your rules. In my house, people may bring meat in if they choose but they may not cook it, simple as that.

I still live in my grandmother's house. I want to move out, but somebody (me) has to take care of her. So it's really rough right now.
#8 Old 10-10-2009, 08:04 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by pajamajes View Post

Thank you for this. It's best not to delude myself. I'm just gonna prepare for that conversation. If/when it comes up, I'm just gonna say that it's my personal choice and I'm happy.

Be proud! You're doing a good thing! You sound like you're ashamed and it's others that should be. Don't feel guilty for not causing suffering.
#9 Old 10-10-2009, 08:10 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradox View Post

Be proud! You're doing a good thing! You sound like you're ashamed and it's others that should be. Don't feel guilty for not causing suffering.

you're so right. i guess i feel a little ashamed around people who thinks that it's stupid or weird. i say i don't care what people think about me, and i really don't, i just would rather it not come up. :/
#10 Old 10-10-2009, 08:15 PM
Veggie Regular

When it comes it (and it will...lol) Just put your biggest smile on and tell them how great you feel. How can anyone agrue with that.
#11 Old 10-10-2009, 08:49 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treehugger267 View Post

When it comes it (and it will...lol) Just put your biggest smile on and tell them how great you feel. How can anyone agrue with that.

will do. i feel great!
#12 Old 10-11-2009, 12:38 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by pajamajes View Post

I still live in my grandmother's house. I want to move out, but somebody (me) has to take care of her. So it's really rough right now.

ah, slightly different, then. I would say go for the beans and rice idea, and maybe have some chopped peppers, tomato or avocado to mix in.

But the most important thing is not to be ashamed!
#13 Old 10-11-2009, 02:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockindancer86 View Post

Word.

www.thezeitgeistmovement.com
www.thevenusproject.com

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page