Should I see Earthlings? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 10-03-2009, 09:36 PM
Veggie Regular

I have been vegan since January of this year. I have never seen any of the undercover meat/dairy/egg/etc. industry videos, I watched maybe 5 seconds of meet your meat a few weeks after I became a vegetarian but that was all I could handle! Anyways I did try to watch Earthlings before I became vegan, I got to the part where a bull was running around (bullfighting) and I couldn't watch anymore. I told myself if I ever strayed off the veg*n path I would watch Earthlings as a punishment.

Buuut I sometimes have a problem defending my beliefs, as I've never SEEN what really goes on in these practices, I've just read. I can IMAGINE a pregnant cow being tortured to death, but I've never seen it, and somehow I feel like if I could SEE these things I would be more firm and willing to defend myself? I hope this makes sense!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 10-03-2009, 09:38 PM
Veggie Regular

If you think it would help you, then yes, by all means see it.
#3 Old 10-03-2009, 10:25 PM

I cant watch them either, too upsetting. In my opinion, you shouldnt have to defend yourself, just be true to yourself and what you are doing.

*big hug for you*
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 10-03-2009, 11:12 PM

Well, personally, I would not watch that. I saw the trailer, and it looked extremely disturbing. Maybe just watch the trailer... it's a very, very gory film. Just watch Meet Your Meat.

Edit: If you could only handle a few minutes of Meet Your Meat, I really don't think you could handle Earthlings.
#5 Old 10-04-2009, 11:22 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by myrtlemaneet View Post

I have been vegan since January of this year. I have never seen any of the undercover meat/dairy/egg/etc. industry videos, I watched maybe 5 seconds of meet your meat a few weeks after I became a vegetarian but that was all I could handle! Anyways I did try to watch Earthlings before I became vegan, I got to the part where a bull was running around (bullfighting) and I couldn't watch anymore. I told myself if I ever strayed off the veg*n path I would watch Earthlings as a punishment.

Buuut I sometimes have a problem defending my beliefs, as I've never SEEN what really goes on in these practices, I've just read. I can IMAGINE a pregnant cow being tortured to death, but I've never seen it, and somehow I feel like if I could SEE these things I would be more firm and willing to defend myself? I hope this makes sense!!

If you think you may one day not be veg*n, please watch it.

If you know you will always be vegan, dont, it will constantly rip you apart.
#6 Old 10-04-2009, 04:46 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanie View Post

If you think you may one day not be veg*n, please watch it.

If you know you will always be vegan, dont, it will constantly rip you apart.

I would add that if you're fine with everyone else eating and using animals/products, but you just "personally choose" not to (i.e. you don't see it as an ethical issue), you should watch it.

I think for some people it can affect them for awhile, but most people forget or it takes less importance after awhile, unless they remind themselves or they have a very developed conscience. I've met plenty of ex-veg*ns who saw Meet Your Meat or who were even activists, but other things in their life took over, and the images and feelings faded. I think generally it's true that 'out of sight, out of mind.'

"If you want to know where you would have stood on slavery before the civil war, don't look at where you stand on slavery today, look at where you stand on animal rights." - Paul Watson.

Every animal you eat
was running for her life

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page