#1 Old 10-01-2009, 01:19 PM
Veggie Regular

Hopefully it will be stocked in shops soon

http://www.bvv.org.uk/site/2009/08/v...urs-available/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 10-01-2009, 01:39 PM
Veggie Regular

I think my eyes almost fell out of my head reading the thread title. I'll def be waiting for these to appear in shops! (well the mango one, allergic to strawberries). the idea of buying freezer food online weirds me out. Time to stalk the local health food shops
#3 Old 10-01-2009, 01:43 PM

I have made a lot of great vegan deserts but cheesecake is one that I just don't think can be veganized with much success. I've never had a vegan cheesecake that really tasted much like cheesecake, even though you can make some that taste okay as their own thing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 10-01-2009, 01:52 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by dontsurrender View Post

I have made a lot of great vegan deserts but cheesecake is one that I just don't think can be veganized with much success. I've never had a vegan cheesecake that really tasted much like cheesecake, even though you can make some that taste okay as their own thing.

You're not making it right. vegan cheesecake when done well is a million times better than the non vegan kind.
#5 Old 10-01-2009, 02:45 PM
Veggie Regular

Party at vheogls place!!!!
#6 Old 10-01-2009, 02:52 PM
Banned

I've had the strawberry one and it's absolutely delicious!
#7 Old 10-01-2009, 02:53 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by WorzelGummidge View Post

I've had the strawberry one and it's absolutely delicious!

Wait you gotta tell, us more than just that!

Where did you get it?
#8 Old 10-01-2009, 03:16 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanie View Post

Where did you get it?

Judging from the comments on the link Holland and Barrat seem to be the most likely place you'll find it/ Some H&B's are also good enough to order stuff in if they don't stock it in their store so worth an ask.

Oh and you're welcome to a cheesecake party at mine anytime. My cheesecake is out of this world and I have references to back that statement up from both vegans and non vegans alike.
#9 Old 10-02-2009, 01:00 AM

I lurve cheesecake. Me want one...or two...or even three Cant wait to find out who stocks them.
#10 Old 10-02-2009, 04:32 AM

I found the strawberry one in a couple of London Holland & Barretts. I'm going to get the mango one next.
#11 Old 10-02-2009, 04:49 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by dontsurrender View Post

Hmm, I totally disagree! I'm very suspicious of any substitutes/trying-to-be-an-omni-food type of foods, but I've made three vegan cheesecakes, one was horrible but two were delicious and honestly very similar (in texture and taste, though a little less creamy) and just as delicious as omni cheesecakes.

Maybe it depends on the recipy, I found using vegan cream cheese was a mistake, I stick to silken tofu and make sure i flavour the 'cheese' bit of the cake (if you know what I mean!) with lemon, or chocolate, or another strong flavour to give it flavour.

Anyway, I cook things myself mostly but I may be tempted to buy this and try it - i'll keep my eyes pealed next time im atholland and barrets !
#12 Old 10-02-2009, 11:34 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Identity_thief View Post

Maybe it depends on the recipy, I found using vegan cream cheese was a mistake, I stick to silken tofu and make sure i flavour the 'cheese' bit of the cake (if you know what I mean!) with lemon, or chocolate, or another strong flavour to give it flavour.

INCORRECT! Vegan cream cheese is the essential ingredient in vegan cheesecake, this is why yours haven't been creamy. You need the perfect ratio of cream cheese to silken tofu (yes silken not firm for all those who are stupid enough to use it in cake) for the perfect creamy vegan yet not vegan tasting cheesecake. There are loads of recipes around using just tofu, silken or otherwise and the consistency is very wrong usually grainy and more egg like not smooth rich and creamy as it should be.
#13 Old 10-02-2009, 03:58 PM

They have these is all of the H&B's around these parts, and I picked up one (maybe two months ago?) of the strawberry ones and thought it was nice, but nothing to write home about. I think the man liked it a bit more than I though.

The ones I pity are the ones who never stick out their neck for something they believe, never know the taste of moral struggle, and never have the thrill of victory. - Jonathan Kozol
#14 Old 10-02-2009, 04:28 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanie View Post

Where did you get it?

Holland and Barratts.

It definitely tasted like cheesecake as I remember cheesecake tasting. My only criticism would be that the base wasn't very crisp, but you have to expect that with refrigerated pastry I think.

My omni mum liked it so much she asked me to e-mail the company and tell them how yummy it was.
#15 Old 10-02-2009, 04:48 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by WorzelGummidge View Post

Holland and Barratts.

It definitely tasted like cheesecake as I remember cheesecake tasting. My only criticism would be that the base wasn't very crisp, but you have to expect that with refrigerated pastry I think.

My omni mum liked it so much she asked me to e-mail the company and tell them how yummy it was.

This is sooo why I need to visit Holland and Baratts soon.

I so need to let my mum try it aswell she LOVEs cheesecake.
#16 Old 10-02-2009, 04:51 PM
Banned

damn, and its gluten free too. *adds it to list*
#17 Old 10-02-2009, 05:07 PM
Veggie Regular

*twitch* Want...

How common are these Holland and Barrets things? Do they have them in most places? I have never seen them...
#18 Old 10-02-2009, 05:17 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by major.walrus View Post

*twitch* Want...

How common are these Holland and Barrets things? Do they have them in most places? I have never seen them...

Pretty much every town or city in the country has one, big or small. Google them i'm sure they have a store locator on their website.
#19 Old 10-02-2009, 05:25 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by major.walrus View Post

*twitch* Want...

in bristol there is one in broadmead, and cribbs causeway, as well as whiteladies road, horsefair, cabot circus.... they have a big dark green sign over the door. they're mainly full of vitamins and dried fruit and stuff like that, but with a fridge stocked with hippyfoods.

http://www.hollandandbarrett.com/
#20 Old 10-02-2009, 05:38 PM
Veggie Regular

Yeah, I just finished looking it up. There are about three within walking distance I never noticed. Thanks for that
#21 Old 10-04-2009, 01:08 PM
Veggie Regular

I got the Mango one in Holland+Barretts in Kingston, greater London on Saturday. They had the strawberry one too.

Omnomnomnom

My pescatarian sister approved of it - she insisted to have the first slice because she says I wont be able to remember what cheesecake tastes like so cant judge. I liked it, and still have half left, but I'm not sure how often I'd pay £3.99 for it! Special occasions and major cravings only I guess.
#22 Old 10-05-2009, 10:28 AM
Veggie Regular

I'll have to pop to Kingston! This sounds delicious, can't wait to try
#23 Old 10-05-2009, 10:48 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by vheogl View Post

INCORRECT! Vegan cream cheese is the essential ingredient in vegan cheesecake, this is why yours haven't been creamy.

I disagree, vegan cream cheese has a horrible aftertaste.

Still waiting to try some of this stuff! Reports genereally seem to be good
#24 Old 10-06-2009, 02:10 PM
Veggie Regular

Who thinks vegan cheesecake doesn't taste good???: http://www.cookingforvegans.co.uk/co...heesecake.html I got my omni colleagues liking this more than 'normal' cheesecake .

Anyway, back on topic - I've had the strawberry one from Holland and Barrett, thought it tasted pleasant enough but wouldn't go out of my way to buy it again and probably wouldn't feed it to omnis.
#25 Old 10-07-2009, 11:33 AM
Veggie Regular

I have some! Haven't tried it yet though.
#26 Old 10-08-2009, 11:54 PM

We tried the strawberry one last night. OMG it is gorgeous!! In fact better than omni cheesecake. Bit pricey though at £3.99 but worth it for a special sweet treat. Got it at Holland and Barratt.
#27 Old 10-09-2009, 12:15 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Identity_thief View Post

I disagree, vegan cream cheese has a horrible aftertaste.

I agree, except for the pure cheese spread which is too sweet to be a decent cheese alternative but perfect for cheesecake.
#28 Old 10-09-2009, 04:06 AM
Veggie Regular

I had the strawberry one a few months ago and I have the mango one in my fridge right now. I'm not a cheesecake fan but when I see 'vegan' things like this I feel compelled to buy them. I'm sure it'll be lovely.
#29 Old 10-09-2009, 04:12 AM
Veggie Regular

The mango one is next on my list to try. I loved the base of the strawberry one though the creamy bit although lovely was very like strawberry mousse and I'm not a huge fan of mousse lol. I'm picky though. =) Yepp at £3.99 it is good for special occasions, I give it a 4/5 =D
#30 Old 10-09-2009, 04:12 AM

I haven't tried the mango cheesecake yet. I have another strawberry one in my fridge right now though.....

(Btw anyone near London should try the cheesecakes at Inspiral Lounge in Camden. Most are raw as well I think. They are amazing!)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page