My First Attempt to Make Homemade Ice Cream/Soy - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 09-27-2009, 09:00 AM

I tried out my new Cusianart ice cream maker and made Strawberry Ice cream with soy milk..

Unfortunately, I didn't have the arrowroot it requires and substituted with corn starch... Wrong, very wrong.

My product came out with a lovely strawberry taste but wrong texture...

So, the moral of my story is, you can't substitute cornstarch for arrowroot in vegan ice cream.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 09-27-2009, 10:37 AM
Veggie Regular

Haha, well thats good to know and atleast you know it tastes good! :] That reminds me of the mutiple cookie recipes I butchered before I finally figured it out.
#3 Old 03-09-2010, 02:29 PM
Riot Nrrrd

I just picked up a Cusianart ice cream maker myself. My first batch was kind of a disaster. The mixing arm stays stationary while the freezing chamber moves the mixture around, which churns the stuff. I know this NOW. Shoulda known it when I was using the beast. I didn't put the arm in correctly and it just sorta spun around with the mixture. Oooops. Realized things were not going as they should after it was too late. Wound up making a couple pint size ice cubes. Tasty ice cubes, though. Used the recipe from "Lick It!" for vanilla. Next up: vanilla from "Vice Cream". This one uses cashews (which are pricey, so I was wise in trying a less expensive recipe for my first attempt). Gonna try one from the blog Vegan Ice Cream Paradise, but I'm not crazy about using arrowroot, which is fiddly. Probably try xanthan gum or guar gum. Expensive stuff though, so I want to try it out FIRST with arrowroot. I also have ideas about using soy or nutmilk with some other ingrediant to bump up the fat content ... But before I start tweaking I want to get the basic working stuff down ...

Dave in MPLS / DISCLAIMER: I am not an actual rooster.
"It is better to light a candle than to curse the darkness"
National Suicide Prevention Lifeline 18002738255
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 03-10-2010, 04:08 PM
Veggie Regular

I've wanted to make my own (dairy-free) ice cream for a while now. Are ice cream makers expensive?
#5 Old 03-10-2010, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dancingvegan View Post

I've wanted to make my own (dairy-free) ice cream for a while now. Are ice cream makers expensive?

Years ago, my mum used to pick up used Donvier brand ice cream makers at thrift stores and yard sales. They are just a plastic container with a metal, liquid-filled bucket that you freeze and place inside. There is a lid and a plastic beater with a crank on top. You add your ice cream mixture and ever few mins, give it a few churns so the bit that has frozen to the inner core gets scraped off. No ice or salt or electricity required. We has a lot of success, so long as the core was thoroughly frozen. They retail about $60 apparently, but we always found ours for just a few dollars:

http://www.cuisipro.com/site/eng/pro...t_id=prod_0138
#6 Old 03-10-2010, 04:48 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by dancingvegan View Post

no- i think ours was like $30. but you don't need a machine really. you can mix everything up and then put it in the freezer in a big tub, take it out regularly to stir it up and break up ice crystals, and it'll do its thing. it might not be as perfectly smooth, but it'll still be good.

you can even make it with ziplock bags, ice, and salt: http://www.canadianparents.com/recip...-bag-ice-cream
#7 Old 03-10-2010, 05:14 PM

Has anyone tried making vegan ice cream with liquid nitrogen? I've made it plenty of times with half-and-half, but I don't know enough about ice cream making to know if it would work with a plant based milk.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page