I feel sick [mom may have snuck cow's milk into almond milk] - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 09-23-2009, 04:39 PM

Well I created an account real quick. I really didn't know where to turn.

Anyway, I've been vegan for over a year now. Today, however, I downed a huge glass of almond milk. Something didn't feel right, though. It was unusually sweet and very thin. My mom's never liked the whole vegan thing and she's always asking me to eat meat, etc.. I'm thinking she sneaked regular milk into the almond milk. I haven't had milk in my system for over a year and I'm starting to feel really sick. What should I do? How can I stop people from doing this? Has something like this ever happened to you?

Answers please.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 09-23-2009, 05:18 PM
Veggie Regular

First breath.

I don't think you are in real danger. Your body has probably developed lactose intolerance and your stomach doesn't work well together with that cows milk. Usually it means that you will have upset stomach and diarrhea what doesn't feel nice but it's not going to kill you. It should not either last long, just until your body is able to kick out all cow milk from you. If you feel unsure or that your symptoms are more sever call nurse or doctor and tell them what your symptoms are and they can decide if you need some medical help.

Hope that helps you.

Oh and make clear to your mom that it can be really unhealthy to you if she hides meat or milk products into your food because your body can react to those really badly. Hopefully she doesn't repeat this again.
#3 Old 09-23-2009, 05:20 PM

Wow, I'm sorry!

That is incredibly disrespectful and rude.

Hopefully you'll just have indigestion for a little while, I hope you feel better soon. My brother and I are both vegan, and although my mother isn't she would never dream of sabotaging us! Being a mother myself, I have to wonder if anyone's mother is capable of that kind of a betrayal. That's a pretty rotten thing to do.

If you really think she did, you owe it to yourself to confront her. Maybe pretend like you are really sick and make a big deal about how the almond milk tasted weird. Maybe she'll 'fess up?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 09-23-2009, 05:22 PM

you think? Well, why don't you confront her?
#5 Old 09-23-2009, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EFritz View Post

you think? Well, why don't you confront her?

She's not home yet
#6 Old 09-23-2009, 06:13 PM

I don't think cow milk would make it sweeter? and unless it was skim milk or something I would think cow's milk would be thicker, not make it thinner.
#7 Old 09-23-2009, 06:19 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by animallover7249 View Post

I don't think cow milk would make it sweeter? and unless it was skim milk or something I would think cow's milk would be thicker, not make it thinner.

Cow's milk actually has a lot more sugar in it than unsweetened almond milk.

http://megatarian.blogspot.com
#8 Old 09-23-2009, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabid_child View Post

Cow's milk actually has a lot more sugar in it than unsweetened almond milk.

I guess thats true! I never really thought of it as sweet, but it's been a really long time since I've drank any!
#9 Old 09-23-2009, 07:44 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by animallover7249 View Post

I guess thats true! I never really thought of it as sweet, but it's been a really long time since I've drank any!

Yah, totally smells like barf to me. lol.. but.. it makes sense since lactose = sugar!

http://megatarian.blogspot.com
#10 Old 09-23-2009, 07:53 PM
Veggie Regular

Hmm, this is a little disheartening. I'm really sorry you don't feel well - I'm sure a lot of us know the feeling. I knew someone who accidentally got (cow) creamer after being vegan and was sick for three days.

I'd share this info with your mom and just make sure she doesn't do this or doesn't do it again if she really did this time. And get your own frig with a lock?
#11 Old 09-23-2009, 08:11 PM
ket
Veggie Regular

wow, that would be strange and very maniacal of your mom. I hope that the almond milk was just off. what would the point of sabotaging you like that be? maybe trying to convince you you like the taste better? I don't get it.

k
#12 Old 09-23-2009, 09:36 PM
Veggie Regular

NOT okay.....you need to have a talk with her and express your feelings surrounding this so she understands that what she did effects your relationship (ex: trust, respect, etc.)

I had someone sneak meat juice into my food thinking it was funny aswell as trying to switch my soy cheese with processed cheese slices. So I waited until they had left the staff room and added cat food to their meatloaf the next day and told them afterward so they could understand exactly how I felt.

Needless to say, they were mad, told me they were so sickened they 'Threw up!' and I told them that they aren't the only one. They went to my boss saying "I can't believe she did this!!!" and then my reply "Erm.....believe it, because YOU decided to put milk products in the food of someone who is lactose intolerant and meat in the food of someone who is morally, spiritually, and health-wise dead against it."

So my boss basically told them to shut up, and that after "weeks of witnessing him offend and innapropriately interact with others he finally had an opportunity to feel it for himself."

Then....a month later he quit.

That's what you get when you sneak dead animals into a v*gn's food!
#13 Old 09-24-2009, 05:07 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alicia Avocado View Post

NOT okay.....you need to have a talk with her and express your feelings surrounding this so she understands that what she did effects your relationship (ex: trust, respect, etc.)

I had someone sneak meat juice into my food thinking it was funny aswell as trying to switch my soy cheese with processed cheese slices. So I waited until they had left the staff room and added cat food to their meatloaf the next day and told them afterward so they could understand exactly how I felt.

Needless to say, they were mad, told me they were so sickened they 'Threw up!' and I told them that they aren't the only one. They went to my boss saying "I can't believe she did this!!!" and then my reply "Erm.....believe it, because YOU decided to put milk products in the food of someone who is lactose intolerant and meat in the food of someone who is morally, spiritually, and health-wise dead against it."

So my boss basically told them to shut up, and that after "weeks of witnessing him offend and innapropriately interact with others he finally had an opportunity to feel it for himself."

Then....a month later he quit.

That's what you get when you sneak dead animals into a v*gn's food!

Wow, that's awesome!
#14 Old 09-24-2009, 07:29 AM
ket
Veggie Regular

omigod alicia -- I can't believe someone did that to you. It's soo rude! I think you proved your point! And i'm glad your boss supported you. I really don't understand it when people put meat in other people's food on purpose. wtf!!!!!!!!!???????
#15 Old 09-24-2009, 07:57 AM
Veggie Regular

i'd be angry enough if someone messed with my food, but to put in things that don't react well with your body is unbelievable.

While today is still today, choose well.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page