high protein, low carb, soy-free, gluten-free - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 09-22-2009, 11:58 AM

I'm pretty sure it's possible to be this kind of vegan. It's just perhaps the way our society is built, leans more towards the carnivores.. and the vegans are often stereotyped as eating mostly high carb foods, soy and wheat.

The only feasible way I've come down to being low carb is basically with soaked nuts/seeds, and green leafy foods. Maybe some other raw veggies, sprouts and fruits here and there, but sparingly because they may have higher amounts of carbs. I guess, the total carb intake would have to depend on the type of carb as well, ie the net carb intake, whether it is simple, or complex carb, glucose, or whatever because it might go straight to the brain, or be stored as glycogen or fat. beans in their cooked form are very high in carbs.. perhaps in sprouted form it has less complex carbs. fungi or fermented foods. is also probably lower in carbs.

Any other ideas on this?

I'm not against the idea of processed foods either, as long as it's done naturally, or isn't poisonous.. or is done in the best way possible so that it is easily digested, and nutritious. Or kept raw? Like.. a raw vegan protein powder. or things, like tofu except soy free. ie, protein extract from veggies. That's what biotechnology is for also, or whatever field that might fall into. Biotech has more of a .. working with live organisms context to it rather than simply live organism products which have been sterilized. Unless something is done with enzymes or plants. GMOs? I know the concept isn't really accepted but it can probably be done responsibly. Or like.. cultivating and perfecting a crop, and hybridizing them, or making new plants/organisms or something (not like animals with nervous systems like ours though).

Since there aren't too many cheap food products that are soy free, low carb, gluten free, etc. I guess.. the only way for me would be to cnosume a lot of soaked nuts/seeds, green veggies, fruits and raw veggies sparingly, and maybe some fungi. Perhaps a low carb protein powder if I want to supplement.. and a mutlivitamin+ dha oil.

I know, not that cheap either, but what gives? The society is not too vegan friendly... at least yet it seems.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 09-22-2009, 06:51 PM
Veggie Regular

What you described is pretty much a raw diet!

“May all sentient beings be free of pain and suffering.  May all sentient beings experience eternal joy and happiness.  gate gate pāragate pārasaṃgate bodhi svāhā.”
http://www.facebook.com/doktormartini
http://twitter.com/#!/MartyBaureis
http://doktormartini.tumblr.com

#3 Old 09-22-2009, 06:56 PM
Veggie Regular

Problem is, the higher protein and lower carb you go, the more fatty your diet is and unless you're somehow burning all of that extra fat off, you're going to have fat covering your muscles and other organs, and as time goes on, it will increase.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 09-22-2009, 06:58 PM
Veggie Regular

also, low carb is not sustainable. you need carbohydrates for energy, preferrably from fruit.
#5 Old 09-22-2009, 08:03 PM
Veggie Regular

Why is it that you want to follow this diet?

High protein and low carb..... I associate this type of diet with increased hunger, high fat and food binges. I know that's not how everyone reacts but typically this diet is not the most effective way of losing weight. So I'm curious, what is your motivation?

As for soy free and wheat free... are you wanting to avoid these for allergy reasons. If so that can't be argued with but if it is for another reason then again I'm curious as to why as I don't see why these foods are so bad.

Everything in moderation is my philosophy.
#6 Old 09-24-2009, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NZVeggie View Post

Why is it that you want to follow this diet?

High protein and low carb..... I associate this type of diet with increased hunger, high fat and food binges. I know that's not how everyone reacts but typically this diet is not the most effective way of losing weight. So I'm curious, what is your motivation?

As for soy free and wheat free... are you wanting to avoid these for allergy reasons. If so that can't be argued with but if it is for another reason then again I'm curious as to why as I don't see why these foods are so bad.

Everything in moderation is my philosophy.

Well I dont want exactly very low carb, I just mean around 150 carbs a day or so.

And.. I've been on a ketosis diet where I ate only meat and 10 grams of carbs or under (it was before I became vegetarian), and it was VERY high fat. Yet I managed to lose about 40 lbs in 3 months eating nothing but burgers and high fat meats, and runing only 15 minutes every day or every other day (forgot which one). The fat was actually ok because the body was in ketosis so fat and protein was being burned for energy instead of carbs.

But Im not looking for a ketogenic diet either, just around 150 carbs a day at least.. since I've read that around this level carbs don't really pose a weight gain problem. 3 cups of beans though can be enough to attain 150 carbs, easily.
#7 Old 09-24-2009, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doktormartini View Post

What you described is pretty much a raw diet!

I know... I guess... I've been led to the idea that a high raw diet is good as long as it isn't poisonous.
#8 Old 09-27-2009, 08:11 PM
Veggie Regular

Thanks for answering.

I'm not really sure about the carb content in things.... but 3 cups of beans is a LOT of beans for one person. There is no way I could eat that much in a day. So maybe if you include beans as your only carb source you will still be able to attain your goal.... I myself would eat less than a cup of cooked beans in a meal - and that only once a day. Admittedly I do eat other sources of carbs but I still don't think I could eat more beans.....

Anyway good luck and as suggested maybe raw is the way to go. Or at least a high percentage of raw.
#9 Old 09-27-2009, 08:38 PM

High protein diets are very bad for your kidneys. A human only needs their diet to be 10-15% protein. Higher levels over a significant amount of time can lead to kidney failure.

Just eat a balanced, healthy diet and you will be fine
#10 Old 09-28-2009, 08:12 AM

I couldn't live without soy or gluten. I don't have any allergy thank god. I tend to eat them less regularly than everything else because soy is good for you but not in the amount that most veg*ns eat it.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page