Should I eat (vegan) junk food? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 09-04-2009, 10:54 AM
Banned

For over 2 years, I've maintained a relatively healthy diet and avoided refined carbohydrates, refined sugar and hydrogenated oil. I never made it official to never eat junk food again, I just wanted to see how it would make me feel and how long I could go without it. Although I don't really have cravings for junk food per se, lately I've started to think about how convenient and liberating it would be to have a less restricted diet and to eat what every one else eats (this will never extend to animal products as I don't view animal products as food and there is a moral reason to avoid them). On the other hand, a part of me still cares about my health, a good diet can help one deal with ocd (which I have).

I've also had this bald spot at the back of my head for over a year now (some idiots, like my father, actually think it's from a botched hair cut) and I'm worried that reintroducing refined foods and possibly even transfat into my diet will make it worse.

Should I say 'f*&k it' or continue eating well?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 09-04-2009, 11:04 AM
Veggie Regular

I think you should continue eating well and eat as much raw as possible if you want any degree of an anti-aging diet.
#3 Old 09-04-2009, 11:58 AM

All about balance. Everybody needs a "fat day" time to time. :-)

Come on, I'd DIE if I didnt have my lazy days here and there where I just sat around in bed, watched junk tv and gorged on junky food. Not necessarily junk, but more all the fixin's and then some type food.

Occasionally on Sundays I'll make myself a vegan grand slam and if you don't think I put a pound of soy butter on my toast or a whole block of FYH cheddar in my tofu scramble or DONT eat 5 or 6 pieces of fried veggie sausage you're sadly mistaken. :-)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 09-04-2009, 11:59 AM

Come on, I'd DIE if I didnt have my lazy days here and there where I just sat around in bed, watched junk tv and gorged on junky food. Not necessarily junk, but more all the fixin's and then some type food.

Occasionally on Sundays I'll make myself a vegan grand slam and if you don't think I put a pound of soy butter on my toast or a whole block of FYH cheddar in my tofu scramble or DONT eat 5 or 6 pieces of fried veggie sausage you're sadly mistaken. :-)
#5 Old 09-04-2009, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricBliss View Post

totally agree....its awesome in moderation
#6 Old 09-04-2009, 05:09 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenni-anti-fur View Post

totally agree....its awesome in moderation

Er, do you think I'll lose even more hair?
#7 Old 09-04-2009, 05:18 PM
Veggie Regular

For me its a combo... I want to have a healthy long life. I don't want to start feeling miserable and getting diseases at 40 or 50, but I do like to eat bad stuff sometimes. I see it as a fun part of life. I usually have something not so good for me (fast food fries, taco bell, twizzlers, oreos, etc) once or twice a month. Otherwise I stick to things from scratch (not all entirely healthy either but better than Taco Bell!)

If I were you I might sneak "bad" stuff in once in a while. (: Thats just my opinion.

Pinterest: AquaLoveBird
#8 Old 09-04-2009, 05:22 PM
Veggie Regular

As for the hair, I don't know your age (as to whether or not its natural), but I know being deficient in some vitamins may cause hair loss. I don't think junk will necessarily make it worse if you're still getting the nutrients you usually get (it will then probably remain the same). If you haven't I might get your blood checked to be on the safe side. (:

Pinterest: AquaLoveBird
#9 Old 09-04-2009, 05:31 PM
Banned

Quote:
As for the hair, I don't know your age (as to whether or not its natural), but I know being deficient in some vitamins may cause hair loss. I don't think junk will necessarily make it worse if you're still getting the nutrients you usually get (it will then probably remain the same). If you haven't I might get your blood checked to be on the safe side. (:

I'm only 23, man. I don't take multi-vitamins, I can't find vegan ones at the store near me. I thought I had a pretty healthy diet.
#10 Old 09-05-2009, 11:06 AM

Typical male pattern baldness is caused by an excess of testosterone (or more specifically dihydrotestosterone which is a metabolite of testosterone), not by anything in your diet. So wear that bald spot proudly brother, it means you got balls! And if you want some junk food in your diet, go for it.
#11 Old 09-05-2009, 01:26 PM
Banned

Quote:
Typical male pattern baldness is caused by an excess of testosterone (or more specifically dihydrotestosterone which is a metabolite of testosterone), not by anything in your diet.

Yes but refined carbohydrates/sugar indirectly raise DHT levels from what I've read. I just don't want it to get any worse (yo).
#12 Old 09-05-2009, 01:52 PM
Veggie Regular

Eating a candy or some fries once in a while won't make your diet unhealty. The key is moderation, and if you have a healthy lifestyle (exercise + healthy eating), a sweet or a few chips every now and then won't make a significant difference in you hair.

And I loved what broccalectable said about wear your bald proudly. I'm a woman and, honestly, for me bald men are the hottest ones. Somehow it gives them a more mature look, specially if I see that they're confident of themselves and their look.

Of course, it's just an opinion. Anyway, I wanted to let you know that some people like it and you should be happy the way you are
#13 Old 09-05-2009, 02:37 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophia_ View Post

Eating a candy or some fries once in a while won't make your diet unhealty. The key is moderation, and if you have a healthy lifestyle (exercise + healthy eating), a sweet or a few chips every now and then won't make a significant difference in you hair.

And I loved what broccalectable said about wear your bald proudly. I'm a woman and, honestly, for me bald men are the hottest ones. Somehow it gives them a more mature look, specially if I see that they're confident of themselves and their look.

Of course, it's just an opinion. Anyway, I wanted to let you know that some people like it and you should be happy the way you are

I wouldn't care if other people minded their own business. I see what you all are saying about moderation, if the moment comes, I guess I will indulge myself. But I won't plan it.
#14 Old 09-05-2009, 03:06 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by African_Prince View Post

I wouldn't care if other people minded their own business. I see what you all are saying about moderation, if the moment comes, I guess I will indulge myself. But I won't plan it.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page