Problem: Everytime I try to go vegan I start eating a lot of fats - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 09-03-2009, 10:15 AM

I've been a vegetarian for 2+ years and I am trying to minimize dairy. I occasionally have eggs when I'm going to brunch with friends but I'd like to maintain a vegan diet at home. But anyway moral discussion aside I think I could use some help on how to balance meals/ feel full. My problem is that everytime I try to excude dairy and eggs from my diet for a few days I end up craving fat and eating a lot of nuts and nut butter (like 5 tablespoons a day) I'm also eating greens, fruits and whole grains and beans too. I don't know what I'm doing wrong... any tips?

On another note, my local grocery store (annoyingly ) doesn't carry soy yogurt and the soy cheese has milk proteins in it. sighh

Another question:

I've also got some nutritional yeast but don't know what else to do with it other than making vegan mac and cheese. How much is appropriate to eat for a day? Any creative uses?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 09-03-2009, 10:20 AM
Veggie Regular

It sounds like you've added good fats, add avocados too (high fat, but good).

I'll be adding the nutritional yeast to my list this week too. There's a great thread around here somewhere w/ lots of uses for it.
#3 Old 09-03-2009, 11:08 AM
Veggie Regular

I think being vegan requires a different mindset. Most vegan fats are good fats, and are very good for you. Personally, I found myself really supprised to realise I eat very little fat - maybe even not enough sometimes - and I have to make a note to myself to ADD fat not take it away when I'm eating.

If you feel you are craving fat, it could be that you're just not eating enough. That's what cravings are, your bodys response to not getting enough of something. Add olive oil/other oils generously as well as, nuts, avacado, seeds, olives, etc to meals - not just eat them as snacks. Obviously try to stick to good healthy fats, but don't be afraid to eat them.

Furthermore you could just not be eating enough, period. Fats are a high calorie food so if your bodys not getting enough food it craves fatty foods, because that's it's best chance of getting the food asap. I have to eat a lot more portion wise than my omni/vegetarian friends to get the right amount of calories (I eat v healthily also, which adds to this as it's mostly fruit/veg/etc).

Secondly, it could also be in your mind. It depends how long you;ve tried to be vegan for etc/ if it's not been very long (days/weeks, instead of months or years) than it's pretty likley that is the case.

The best way of seeing if any of these are the case, is to track for a week or a couple of weeks what it is you are eating and it's nutritional quality (are you eating enough fat? too much? too few calories? or does everythiong seem about right?)

Eating vegan is different to eating omni or vegerarian IMO, much more so than the difference between being omni and vegetarian. Especially if you eat healthily and do a lot of home cooking. It's good to make sure you're eating right, if you're unsure you could look at vegan guidelines or as I mentioned before track what you're eating, because normally not getting enough of something is the cause of cravings.

Don't let it put you off! You'll find a happy medium where you don't have cravings eventually, sometimes it just takes a little trial and error or extra thinking to work out what you ought to be eating differently with a diet that's different to the 'norm'.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 09-03-2009, 11:17 AM
Banned

have you asked the store to stock the things you want to buy?
#5 Old 09-03-2009, 11:41 AM
Veggie Regular

I like Identity_thief's answer.
#6 Old 09-03-2009, 12:28 PM
Veggie Regular

Thank you for starting this thread!

I couldn't figure out what my problem was last night. I wasn't in the least bit hungry, but I started snarfing down cashews, macadamian nuts, and double stuff oreos like there was no tomorrow. I just couldn't stop myself, and I never do anything like that.

After reading this thread I looked back and realized I've been a bit skimpy on the fats since I changed over. Eating this way is such a balancing act!
#7 Old 09-03-2009, 01:05 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
My problem is that everytime I try to excude dairy and eggs from my diet for a few days I end up craving fat and eating a lot of nuts and nut butter (like 5 tablespoons a day) I'm also eating greens, fruits and whole grains and beans too.

Hey, you're doing better than me! For a while there I was turning into a French fry vegan.
#8 Old 09-03-2009, 05:05 PM

Thanks for your reply. As I track what I'm eating I'm quite aware I'm eating enough calories but often 40%+ of them are coming from fat. And yes I incorporate them in both meals and snacks too. I don't really feel bad about eating fat at all but I just find it odd. In some cases I eat too many fats and end up feeling sluggish. I guess I should wait it out, maybe the fat consumption will decrease as my body adjusts... I usually end up going vegan for a week or so at a time. I had tried being (unreasonably) vegan before when I was eating disordered but it was very unhealthy, in the sense I didn't eat any fats or grains. Now that I'm at a healthier weight and really focused on feeling well I want to do this properly.

Either way, I've learned to incorporate more whole grains into my diet with the fats to keep me full for longer so I don't continuously nibble on fruit and other low calorie things.

Thanks for your advice.
#9 Old 09-03-2009, 08:27 PM
Veggie Regular

I don't think there's anything wrong with eating a lot of nuts! Nuts are so good for you and each one offers something different - walnuts have omega-3's, almonds have calcium, sunflower seeds have vitamin E, peanuts have niacin...you really can't go wrong eating a good variety of nuts. And as the fats are mostly unsaturated, I think it's healthy.

I don't think it's healthy to slather oil on stuff while cooking - a little bit is fine, but oil is a more processed food, just pure fat, so I try to limit that. But nuts and nut butters are WHOLE foods and I think they are great for you.

www.veganspoonful.com

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page