Margarine - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 08-19-2009, 08:51 PM

Does anyone know a good brand that doesn't have whey and casein in it that isn't outrageously priced for a tiny bit?

We also want to use it for cooking, so we need quite a bit.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 08-19-2009, 08:55 PM
Veggie Regular

Not sure where you live, but I use Smart Balance, which I'd assume is available all over the US. They make a few varieties, not all of which are vegan, so be sure to look for the one that prominently says it's vegan on the container.

--Fromper

#3 Old 08-19-2009, 08:59 PM
Veggie Regular

Look around for 'lactose free' margarine: the ones I've seen don't usually have any milk products in them. They may use vitamin D3 (animal derived) though. I'm not sure where you stand on that issue.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 08-19-2009, 09:14 PM
Veggie Regular

I have actually found some cheap store brand margarine that is "accidentally" vegan. Just read the labels CAREFULLY! Smart Balance Light is my first choice but is more expensive.

"Women & cats will do as they please, & men & dogs should relax & get used to the idea." Robert Heinlein
#5 Old 08-19-2009, 09:21 PM
Beginner

This thread made me learn margarine isn't vegan.

I hate assuming things and not buying my own groceries. :\\

I just looked it up though.. if you can shop at whole foods earth balance is vegan.
#6 Old 08-19-2009, 09:24 PM

I buy Earth Balance and find it to be great!

My Vegan Blog - http://wheretheveggiesare.blogspot.com

Tumblr - http://runouthearts.tumblr.com

#7 Old 08-19-2009, 09:48 PM
Veggie Regular

We live in Canada and we don't have a "whole foods".

The vegan margarine we found was about $6.50+tax....in Canada....for like 250mL

ÂBecause the heart beats under a covering of hair, of fur, feathers, or wings, it is, for that reason, to be of no account? - Jean Paul Richter
#8 Old 08-19-2009, 09:52 PM
Veggie Regular

I'm in US and buy Smart Balance Light. It's expensive, but it's good stuff.

I hear that Nucoa in the tub is also vegan but I can only find the sticks (which aren't vegan at all ).
#9 Old 08-19-2009, 09:54 PM
Veggie Regular

For those who don't bake much, just so you know - Smart Balance has WATER added so it will NOT work for many baked goods. (It will "work" but the texture, and final outcome will be greatly different and not nearly as good.)

Earth Balance is good, but, as you said, expensive.

Some other brands are Soy Garden, Spectrum and Willow Run, but you'll have to look in a Health Food store.

The CHEAPEST vegan margarine I know of is NUCOA. Gold tub and in the "cheaper" stores or parts of the shelf.
#10 Old 08-19-2009, 10:04 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessss2008 View Post

i dunno where in canada you are, but i've seen earth balance in various places (normal supermarkets included) in ontario and newbrunswick, and got it for as low as $4 for a 425g tub sometimes, which admittedly isn't cheap, but its doable.

and.... there is also a $1 off e-coupon for any earth balance product on http://www.thehealthyshopper.ca ( amongst other fab coupons!) that you can print off to your hearts content and use on every purchase you make until the end of march 2010- you just gotta sign up for a free account, and if you set it right you don't get any email stuff from them.
#11 Old 08-20-2009, 10:55 AM
Banned

nucoa is the cheapest and works great for baking.
#12 Old 08-20-2009, 10:29 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4EverGrounded View Post

I can only find the sticks (which aren't vegan at all ).

Why are they not vegan? I don't use them, I use the tub, but my Mom buys the sticks for me 'cause it's all she can find when I'm at her place...
#13 Old 08-20-2009, 10:58 PM
Veggie Regular

Seems the last time I checked (quite a long while ago), they either weren't vegan or they had something in them that made me put them back. I've just somehow figured they weren't vegan since that's usually what makes me put things back.
#14 Old 08-20-2009, 11:14 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4EverGrounded View Post

Seems the last time I checked (quite a long while ago), they either weren't vegan or they had something in them that made me put them back. I've just somehow figured they weren't vegan since that's usually what makes me put things back.

The Nucoa cubes DO have Transfat/hydrogenated oils but as far as I can tell, they are vegan. That's the reason I don't use them (except at my Mom's) but if there's a trace ingredient, I wouldn't know what it is, I'm not the "trace-ingredient police" at ALL!!
#15 Old 08-20-2009, 11:46 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tofu-N-Sprouts View Post

I'm not the "trace-ingredient police" at ALL!!

I'm not either. That's a field that's far to flooded without my help.

Thanks for the info about NUCOA. I still can't find it in my stores (I looked today), but at least I know it's truly vegan.
#16 Old 08-21-2009, 12:06 AM
Veggie Regular

There's only one place around here that I know of that has the "tubs"... a really small, run-down-about-to-close Albertsons. I'll be bummed if they close, it's the only place that'll stock it that I've found... The "Rainbow Store" (Grocery Outlet) has it sporadically though...
#17 Old 08-21-2009, 07:19 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

For those who don't bake much, just so you know - Smart Balance has WATER added so it will NOT work for many baked goods. (It will "work" but the texture, and final outcome will be greatly different and not nearly as good.)

Earth Balance is good, but, as you said, expensive.

Some other brands are Soy Garden, Spectrum and Willow Run, but you'll have to look in a Health Food store.

The CHEAPEST vegan margarine I know of is NUCOA. Gold tub and in the "cheaper" stores or parts of the shelf.

They sell Willow Run at the regular grocery store here but it has trans fats :\\ I thought it might be a cheaper alternative to EB when baking, but I'd rather pay more and not have trans-fats. They don't sell Nucoa around these parts.

http://megatarian.blogspot.com
#18 Old 08-22-2009, 10:41 AM
Veggie Regular

I like Earth Balance. It's great for baking, and can be found at Sobey's (just a regular grocery store) or at health food stores. I'm in Ontario, Canada.
#19 Old 08-22-2009, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessss2008 View Post

I'm from Canada, too. There are two Whole Foods near where I live - one in Oakville, Ontario and one in Toronto.

My Vegan Blog - http://wheretheveggiesare.blogspot.com

Tumblr - http://runouthearts.tumblr.com

#20 Old 08-22-2009, 08:09 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fromper View Post

Not sure where you live, but I use Smart Balance, which I'd assume is available all over the US. They make a few varieties, not all of which are vegan, so be sure to look for the one that prominently says it's vegan on the container.

--Fromper

Smart Balance has EDTA in it, unless you are getting a different one but all the ones I"ve seen do.

“May all sentient beings be free of pain and suffering.  May all sentient beings experience eternal joy and happiness.  gate gate pāragate pārasaṃgate bodhi svāhā.”
http://www.facebook.com/doktormartini
http://twitter.com/#!/MartyBaureis
http://doktormartini.tumblr.com

#21 Old 08-23-2009, 12:07 PM
Veggie Regular

I would suggest Earth Balance, or Soy Garden...you should be able to find it at your local natural food store.

~~Never take for granted the things in your posession, put your crown to the ground and stay in constant submission to the MOST HIGH~~~
~~ Yesterday is the past, and tomorrow is the future, today is a gift and that's why it's called the PRESENT~~
#22 Old 08-23-2009, 03:35 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabid_child View Post

They sell Willow Run at the regular grocery store here but it has trans fats :\\ I thought it might be a cheaper alternative to EB when baking, but I'd rather pay more and not have trans-fats. They don't sell Nucoa around these parts.

just to clarify info about Nucoa

* 100% vegan

* round tub does NOT have trans fats

* sticks in a box do have trans fats

* great price
#23 Old 08-23-2009, 04:30 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doktormartini View Post

Smart Balance has EDTA in it, unless you are getting a different one but all the ones I"ve seen do.

Just to be clear (I'm still a baby vegan), we're concerned about EDTA because it's a epically terrifying chemical, not for animal-derivative reasons, right?
#24 Old 08-24-2009, 02:42 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Semicharmed View Post

Just to be clear (I'm still a baby vegan), we're concerned about EDTA because it's a epically terrifying chemical, not for animal-derivative reasons, right?

This is what I know: EDTA is a preservative, but it's approved by the FDA and USDA and found in many foods, including most baby formulas. It functions by binding to metal contaminants that cause food to breakdown or decompose, so it keeps food from going bad too quickly.

It is also recommended by the American Heart Association for removing toxic metals from the body and for use in heart disease treatment, lead and digitalis poisoning and metal removal from soil.

This is all I found with a Google search? \\/ \\/

Quote:
It is thought that large doses of EDTA may possibly remove trace amounts of vitamins and minerals from the body.

#25 Old 08-24-2009, 02:52 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

I have one 5 mins drive away from me (I'm in BC)...but I have noticed food costs more here than other provinces.
#26 Old 08-24-2009, 03:52 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

This is what I know: EDTA is a preservative, but it's approved by the FDA and USDA and found in many foods, including most baby formulas. It functions by binding to metal contaminants that cause food to breakdown or decompose, so it keeps food from going bad too quickly.

It is also recommended by the American Heart Association for removing toxic metals from the body and for use in heart disease treatment, lead and digitalis poisoning and metal removal from soil.

This is all I found with a Google search? \\/ \\/

Ah, thanks... I googled too and saw scary-looking things like "Today, EDTA is mainly synthesised from ethylenediamine (1,2-diaminoethane), formaldehyde (methanal), and sodium cyanide."

But I didn't know if there were animal derivatives in it. I'm guessing not and... It's just that it's a chemical and that's why Doktormartini gave it an unhappy face?
#27 Old 08-24-2009, 07:36 PM

Thanks for all the input, I'll try and see what my local food store has next time I shop. Although I'm moving to a way bigger city soon, so I'm sure I could find those there if I looked.
#28 Old 08-25-2009, 12:20 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Ah, thanks... I googled too and saw scary-looking things like "Today, EDTA is mainly synthesised from ethylenediamine (1,2-diaminoethane), formaldehyde (methanal), and sodium cyanide."

But I didn't know if there were animal derivatives in it. I'm guessing not and... It's just that it's a chemical and that's why Doktormartini gave it an unhappy face?

Cause it's slightly genotoxic and cytotoxic.

“May all sentient beings be free of pain and suffering.  May all sentient beings experience eternal joy and happiness.  gate gate pāragate pārasaṃgate bodhi svāhā.”

#29 Old 08-25-2009, 09:20 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doktormartini View Post

Cause it's slightly genotoxic and cytotoxic.

Good to know, thank you!
#30 Old 08-25-2009, 09:48 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Good to know, thank you!

I mean it's probably not that bad of a deal but I don't want genotoxic things in my food, even if it's in really small amounts that probably won't affect me.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page