I feel like I don't stop eating but I'm still hungry :/ - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 08-18-2009, 07:47 AM
Beginner

I'm really really new to being a vegan and I'm a little chubby so eating all the time is making me very nervous. I feel like I haven't stopped eating today yet I'm still hungry. It is 10 AM and I've already had a bowl of kix with almond milk (maybe 2 cups of cereal) around 5 AM, a 16 oz cup of coffee with almond milk around 7:30 AM, aprox 2/3 a cup of walnuts around 9 AM and a banana at 9:30 yet I'm still hungry. I'm just really really scared I'm going to gain weight if I keep eating but I'm not sure what to do. Are there any really filling low calorie vegan snacks that I should start trying to eat? or am I eating a lot less then I think I am?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 08-18-2009, 08:03 AM
Beginner

You're eating a lot of "fast carbs" - carbs that give you energy quickly, then just stop. You're also not getting a lot of fiber, which helps you feel full. I'd recommend including some whole grains in the morning, to keep you going.
#3 Old 08-18-2009, 08:08 AM
Beginner

Thanks for the advice! I'll try that tomorrow morning and see if it helps
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 08-18-2009, 08:18 AM
Veggie Regular

Yeah, try oatmeal. There's a great thread somewhere on here about How to Make Oatmeal Taste Good.

What kind of cereal were you having? Cereals with whole grains, fiber, and protein will keep you fuller longer, however some can get high on the calorie content, so you have to watch your portion sizes.

I really don't think you ate that much though. The only thing that probably was higher in calories/fat was the 2/3 cup of walnuts.

If you include a lot of vegetables and fruit into your diet you will get lots of low calorie bulk to keep you full. If you add a little extra protein, like 1 T of peanut butter with a banana or apple, or green beans with toasted almonds, or sunflower seeds or chick peas on your salad, etc. it will help you stay full for longer too and the fat in the protein sources will help your body to absorb the vitamins from the veggies/fruit better as well.

Found it:https://www.veggieboards.com/boards/s...d.php?t=100277
#5 Old 08-18-2009, 08:26 AM
Beginner

The cereal I had this morning was kix because it is the only vegan cereal in the house right now. I lost my car about a week ago because some idiot was trying to catch a light and he hit me and totalled my car so getting to the grocery store to grab new vegan food isn't too easy. I'll be back at school in a week and a half where I won't need a car to get everything I need but until then my choices are limited :/ I could go to the store if I really need to but it would be a big pain.
#6 Old 08-18-2009, 09:41 AM
Veggie Regular

I'd suggest trying to up the healthy fat content. Walnuts are good, maybe you could blend up some into a paste and put it on toast? Like walnut butter. Peanut butter on toast for a snack would be easy and good.

If your body isn't getting enough healthy fat, it won't feel satisfied. And whole grains help on that front too, compared to more refined ones. Whole wheat pasta meals with veggies? I need 1.5 cups of it to feel full. SAME EXACT MEAL with white pasta, I need 2c. So the heartier it is the less you need to feel full.

Peanut butter on whole wheat toast, you need 1 thick slice as opposed to 2+ of white or "wheat" that's all refined up (store brand wheat bread anywhere but whole foods, lol)

Make sense? So just because healthy fat and grain stuff goes up does not mean you'll need more in quantity.

I also went through a phase where I was STARVING all the time no matter how much I ate, and this is what helped me. Also, any cooking done, use olive oil for a while on the stove. There's something about it that seems to "stick" better than veg-soybean oils. These days, I use Canola, Olive, or Peanut based on what I'm making.

HTH! This will pass!
#7 Old 08-18-2009, 09:46 AM
Beginner

Thanks! feeling hungry went away a bit but I'm not sure if I'm ignoring it or what because I didn't eat anymore. From the sound of it I should be alright after I have lunch because I have a small salad (1 cup of greens) and I made a dressing with a few tablepoons of olive oil, some lemon juice and a little salt. I also made a PB&J sandwich but it's on potato bread that has refined sugars in it. Only bread in the house at the moment.
#8 Old 08-18-2009, 10:41 AM
Beginner

I notice that lentils are really good at keeping me full and they taste yummy!
#9 Old 08-18-2009, 12:20 PM
Beginner

hm even after that big lunch and another banana I'm still kind of feeling hungry. Maybe I'm just having an off day, I haven't been drinking much water (none actually, aside from the coffee) and I barely slept last night.
#10 Old 08-18-2009, 12:32 PM
Veggie Regular

Oatmeal is like the god of feeling full. If I eat even a small bowl of it in the morning (7 or 8 a.m.), I don't get hungry until at least 3 or 4 p.m. I tend to skip breakfast a lot or just have a piece of fruit, and that makes me hungry at, like, 10 a.m. Which is very annoying when you have a busy day and you can't just sit around munching. But there's really nothing wrong w/ grazing, if you don't mind it. I like the bars too, like luna/lara/clif bars. I find them filling, to be so small. For low-cal, you wanna go with fruits and veggies. They aren't gonna make you feel full, per se, but you can eat them all day long and never gain a pound. Hth.
#11 Old 08-18-2009, 03:27 PM
Veggie Regular

It doesn't sound like that much food to me. and you seem to be doing it in a healthy way, with it being spread out over several hours. For now I wouldn't worry about it and would keep doing what you're doing, only change it if it does become a problem regarding your weight/health. It actually helps your metabolism to be eating throughout the day instead of three big meals so you may find that this is better.
#12 Old 08-18-2009, 07:28 PM

I agree that it seems like you aren't eating much and the stuff that you are eating tends to be high in fat(good fats, but still fats). I would suggest upping your veggie and fruit intake. Also, whole wheat bread and tofu fills me up fast.

It's hard without a way to get to the store but hang in there! And don't forget to drink lots of water. Alot of the time, you may feel hungry but it's actually you're body misinterpreting thirst. Have a big glass of cold water, wait 15-30 minutes and if you're still hungry, have a healthy snack.

Grazing has worked for me personally. I get full insanely fast so eating large meals is out for me. I went vegan 9 days ago, after a period of vegetarianism and have lost 4 pounds already, simply from eating less processed crap and more fresh produce.

Good luck!
#13 Old 08-18-2009, 09:49 PM
Beginner

Peanut butter and toast fills me up for longer than anything else. But eating lots of snacks is a great way to boost your metabolism, watch all the bananas though, they're fruit but they're high carb. Apples are a very filling snack thats low water content (especially good with peanut butter... I do love peanut butter).

Nuts are a great choice as their fat is better for you than say, margarine. Keeping hydrated is often really important, and yeah if this is new for you, just watch your weight for a couple weeks and adjust what your eating if you see a problem.

(FYI, I lost weight going vegan, and I really didn't try. Don't worry too much)
#14 Old 08-18-2009, 10:34 PM

This may sound weird but I'm a vegan trying to lose a couple of pounds for track, and pears keep me full so I usually eat one once or twice a day in between lunch and dinner.
#15 Old 08-19-2009, 12:09 AM
Veggie Regular

when i went vegan i felt hungry constantly for a week, then my body adjusted. same thing happened when i went vegetarian before that but instead i was feeling constantly hungry for almost a month. it was kinda weird too since i was actually upping my calorie intake after each time i made the switch. maybe try not to worry about the weight issue until you get the hunger thing under control. things that really fill me up are bread, lentils, pasta, avocados, beans, chocolate peanut butter smoothies, potatoes, and lots of water.

http://www.butikiteas.com
#16 Old 08-19-2009, 03:03 AM
Beginner

Thanks everybody. I'm kind of getting nervous thinking about all the stuff I can never eat again (nacho doritos aren't vegan ) but at the same time I feel like this might be the change I need because I shouldn't be eating crap anyway and I shouldn't be eating for entertainment.

I cut up an apple and a peach and had those an hour or two ago and I know I'm full but I still have this underlying hungry feeling. It's not bothering me so much that consider stopping but it's definitely a strange feeling I'm not use to.
#17 Old 08-19-2009, 07:17 AM
Veggie Regular

That really isn't a ton of food. I eat a bowl of cereal with rice/almond milk, fruit and nuts in it for breakfast a lot of the time. Granted it's all in one sitting, but it's still conceptually the same.

I also find that if I'm overtired I get hungry more easily. It's like my body is trying to compensate for the lack of energy from sleep with energy from food. If I have caffeine too I get hungrier. I don't know why.

http://megatarian.blogspot.com
#18 Old 08-19-2009, 10:38 PM
Veggie Regular

I was really hungry all the time when I first went vegan, but that was because I was at school at the time, and at boarding school they serve three meals a day at set times with cooking not really allowed in between. Like a couple of others in the thread, once the holidays came I found that the solution was to graze throughout the day. I'm consuming more calories than before and my weight hasn't changed, so if you're anything like me you don't need to worry.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page