I have no vegan friends - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 08-16-2009, 12:31 PM
Beginner

...and it makes me feel crazy and lonely. I'm sorry if this should be in relationships/family, but I also am having an inner conflict about vegetarians.

I'm getting sick of people looking at me like I'm a crazy person for being vegan, but I don't have a dominant enough personality to tell them I think they're lifestyle and eating habits are cruel and wrong.

I am always tolerant to vegetarians and have many vegetarian friends, and I think that they're doing better than most people. But I'm starting to wonder... because if I lived in a racist community it doesn't seem like it would be acceptable to be only insulting other races in a nonobvious way, rather than forgoing racism from your life entirely.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 08-16-2009, 01:20 PM
Veggie Regular

I was about to say that I don't have any vegan friends either but my new jogging partner is vegan. I am really excited.

But before that, I really know how you feel. I only have a few vegetarian friends and living in Texas we are a minority.

Do you have any veg*n friendly places in your community? Or even look in the area subforum here on VB and see if there's anyone near you.
#3 Old 08-16-2009, 02:29 PM
Veggie Regular

You're definitely not alone, fiddler, and I think you should consider yourself lucky that you even have vegetarian friends. I don't have any, nor do I know of any who live in my small town. It's frustrating and sometimes I do get a little lonely. It would just be nice to be able to talk to someone who actually gets me, you know?

At least I have VB, though. I would have gone crazy long ago if it weren't for this board.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 08-16-2009, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TornadoChaser View Post

Do you have any veg*n friendly places in your community? Or even look in the area subforum here on VB and see if there's anyone near you.

I agree with this. VB is a very busy place and there is lots of helpful info on here. Have you joined Vegan Forum? That is a forum just for vegans (well obviously.) Or Vegan Freak? I felt very isolated when I first became a vegan and joining forums really helped me a lot as you can talk with people who know exactly how you feel. You could meet vegans through it as they have meet-ups too.
#5 Old 08-16-2009, 02:57 PM
Herbivorous Urchin

I had NO Vegetarian or Vegan friends, my boyfriend is Vegan, but we *just* started dating.

It's easy to feel isolated, but even easier to feel happy and blissful.

Quote:
"You will always be fond of me. I represent to you all the sins you never had the courage to commit.”
Oscar Wilde, The Picture of Dorian Gray
#6 Old 08-16-2009, 03:16 PM
Veggie Regular

I don't know any other vegetarians or vegans, either. I have met a few here and there, but none are actually my friends. A few of my close friends are pescatarians who called themselves vegetarians, before I kicked their butts into submission. They now know they are NOT vegetarian.

It does suck, it can be lonely. Yesterday my roommate and his friend were having a "I couldn't live without this"-fest. "WHAT! How can you LIVE without yogurt covered raisins??" "I would DIE without cheese. Mmm Mmm!"

If I say something about how I can live without contributing to cruelty or suffering, they get uppity and defensive.

Grumble.

Anyways, I just wanted to say hey, I know what it's like to be alone in your choices. Oddly enough, sometimes I feel like that makes them more meaningful.
#7 Old 08-16-2009, 03:18 PM
Herbivorous Urchin

I'm slowly converting a friend at work though... Tee hee *rubs hands together evily*

Quote:
"You will always be fond of me. I represent to you all the sins you never had the courage to commit.”
#8 Old 08-16-2009, 03:21 PM

Hey, I'm the same. I have a vegetarian (actually pescatarian) friend but other then that its just me. Also, I'm the only vegan in my house and my family LOVE meat and eat it almost every day. VB is a huge help but sometimes you just need someone you can talk to.

I hope we both find some awesome vegan friends !!

Check out: lovelifeontheside.com
#9 Old 08-16-2009, 03:57 PM

Its really annoying to make a friend who calls themselves vegetarian but then when you hang out with them they order fish for dinner or something. Its like, umm....you realize this isnt like milk or honey, you need to kill the fish to cook it. and the argument generally is "its proven they don't feel it"

Im sorry. I dont mean to disrespect anyone, but I'm just saying - its a riddle.

I like vegans and respect what they do - but its not for me, so I guess I have to learn to respect pescetarians and accept just the same because maybe vegetarianism (in the sense you dont feast on the flesh of living things) isn't for them.

this is hurting my head,

later all!
#10 Old 08-16-2009, 04:00 PM
Herbivorous Urchin

Pescetarians that call themselves vegetarians piss me off -_- i'm a vegan, but i think it's disrespectful to vegetarians... meanie fish eaters.

Quote:
#11 Old 08-16-2009, 05:05 PM
Veggie Regular

I feel lonely at times too. I go to a small-town college in Texas, and haven't met a single vegan or vegetarian there - unless you count the couple who do it as the closest thing to an eating disorder and no other reason. My boyfriend is a vegetarian, and thankfully is amazingly supportive of me. I actually started crying last night when he told me he was proud of me, because I had been attacked all week. I am thinking of trying out a Houston or Woodlands area meetup group. But it does get really lonely, especially on those days when it feels like the whole world is attacking you. It makes me proud to live a compassionate life, and I feel strong too. It helps me stand up for myself, because I AM different and I'm not going to change that no matter how hard it gets.
#12 Old 08-16-2009, 05:57 PM

I understand. I'm a vegan and I don't have any vegan or vegetarian friends. I'm married to a meat eater even. (Thankfully he's VERY supportive and I'm pretty sure he's starting to see the error of his meat eating ways!!) I just recently found an area vegan meet-up on meetup.com. I'm looking forward to my first meal with ALL vegans! :-) You might try checking meetup out or starting one of your own.

Good luck!
#13 Old 08-16-2009, 09:06 PM
Beginner

I love the ideas for finding people to meet in my area!! I live in vancouver BC so it shouldn't be as hard as it has been

Its nice to know I'm not the only one who feels like this though... and this board definately makes me feel better

Thanks for the suggestions, I will definitely look up those vegan forums
#14 Old 08-18-2009, 01:27 PM

Your so not alone. I have no vegan friends either and I doubt I ever will. It can be very depressing. I need to move! I also have major social phobia so my cats are my only friends since I 'm so awkward it's pathetic.
#15 Old 08-18-2009, 01:32 PM
Veggie Regular

Hey Sweetie,

Trust me, most vegans have this issue too. It's mainly due to the fact we are a very small minority.

I had no veg*an friends of any kind until I met my hubby and he was an omni back then. He is a vegetarian now.

The fantastic thing is that VB is a great place to talk and feel like you are not so isolated. I love it for that

Keep smiling hun

Kindest Regards,

VeganTigress

May you be held in compassion.
May your pain and sorrow be eased.
May you be at peace.

My Blog: www.allie4animals.wix.com/veganliving
#16 Old 08-18-2009, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natasha23 View Post

Your so not alone. I have no vegan friends either and I doubt I ever will. It can be very depressing. I need to move! I also have major social phobia so my cats are my only friends since I 'm so awkward it's pathetic.

#17 Old 08-18-2009, 02:32 PM
Veggie Regular

It was a year before I met my first "real live vegan" and it's been awhile since I've hung out with one (although I'm hanging out with one tomorrow as it was!).

Getting picked on and feeling isolated is part of it, don't worry about, I think we have all gone through it. It makes you stronger, once you here people making the same arguments over and over about how "veganism is stupid" and how much they love "dead animals", you'll just get bored of it rather than hurt.

I know it's a cliche, but if someone is picking on you give them the "you've got to be kidding me" look and ignore them. Body language can be so much more effective than telling them that they are wrong.

And you'll meet plenty of vegans!! The first few months of me being a vegan were totally isolated, I didn't even have any vegan friends online! But once you friend a few on facebook or something, they all come running!

If you're on facebook, look me up and I'll send some friend requests for you from other vegans. There are a lot of us out there, we're just spread far apart!
#18 Old 08-18-2009, 02:41 PM
Veggie Regular

Just makes me want to start on that all vegan tropical island community even quicker.
#19 Old 08-18-2009, 04:01 PM
Veggie Regular

I am beginning to think "vegans" are mythical creatures. I have never met one in real life... interesting......

May you be held in compassion.
May your pain and sorrow be eased.
May you be at peace.

My Blog: www.allie4animals.wix.com/veganliving
#20 Old 08-18-2009, 07:17 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockabillyVegan View Post

It was a year before I met my first "real live vegan" and it's been awhile since I've hung out with one (although I'm hanging out with one tomorrow as it was!).

Getting picked on and feeling isolated is part of it, don't worry about, I think we have all gone through it. It makes you stronger, once you here people making the same arguments over and over about how "veganism is stupid" and how much they love "dead animals", you'll just get bored of it rather than hurt.

I know it's a cliche, but if someone is picking on you give them the "you've got to be kidding me" look and ignore them. Body language can be so much more effective than telling them that they are wrong.

And you'll meet plenty of vegans!! The first few months of me being a vegan were totally isolated, I didn't even have any vegan friends online! But once you friend a few on facebook or something, they all come running!

If you're on facebook, look me up and I'll send some friend requests for you from other vegans. There are a lot of us out there, we're just spread far apart!

Awww. I will Yeah. I'm joining a "veggie club" at my University this year so hopefully that will help.

and oh we exist... the omnis just don't like to admit it
#21 Old 08-19-2009, 07:21 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natasha23 View Post

You're not alone in that regard either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeganTigress View Post

I am beginning to think "vegans" are mythical creatures. I have never met one in real life... interesting......

Me too. I've never met one.
#22 Old 08-19-2009, 07:34 AM
Veggie Regular

Vegetarian Meetup Group in Vancouver -> http://www.meetup.com/vegvan/

http://megatarian.blogspot.com
#23 Old 08-19-2009, 08:53 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefiddlerscall View Post

Awww. I will Yeah. I'm joining a "veggie club" at my University this year so hopefully that will help.

and oh we exist... the omnis just don't like to admit it

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabid_child View Post

Vegetarian Meetup Group in Vancouver -> http://www.meetup.com/vegvan/

Hey, I'm in Nanaimo.

You could check out Earthsave, I'm pretty sure they do regular meetups at local veg restaurants and stuff

http://www.earthsave.ca/
#24 Old 08-19-2009, 06:37 PM

I have a few....used to have more but two went back to omni....actually one was vegan and went omni and one was veggie and back to omni....there arent too many of us out there buck lucky we have an awesome place like VB with soooo many friends that we always have someone there when we need them.
#25 Old 08-19-2009, 07:14 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by paisleyjane View Post

Hey, I'm in Nanaimo.

You could check out Earthsave, I'm pretty sure they do regular meetups at local veg restaurants and stuff

http://www.earthsave.ca/

I will check out this and the vegetarian meetup website! Thanks guys

Nanaimo? Sweet! I know a guy from there from school. I haven't been though, too lazy to hop a ferry =) I live in maple ridge (relocating to kerrisdale in 2 weeks)
#26 Old 08-20-2009, 01:21 PM
Veggie Regular

I totally understand where are you coming from. I also don't have any veg*n friend.

I know a few people who are vegetarian and one vegan but we don't keep much in touch because they're from other city (mine is a "too omni city" and I never found any vegetarian or vegan here). Sometimes, I even feel my friends don't invite me to dinner at their places because they don't know what to do. (except for one great friend that invites me always and makes delicious veggie stirfrys).

Maybe I'll change from city when I'll finish my master degree
#27 Old 08-20-2009, 01:47 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bells View Post

You're not alone in that regard either.

No you're not alone, I'm also a social phobic.

Me too. I've never met one.

I'm lucky because the first Vegan I met was my oldest son, then my youngest, I have two Vegan sons that have touched a few others hearts on animal cruelty. Although I still don't have a friend my age or a boyfriend who is vegan or vegetarian, I'm beginning to think that is why I have been single for so long. It gets very lonely but I am blessed and so proud of my sons and their vegan wives, and now vegan Grandchildren. But oh how I wish I could meet a good vegan man to share my life with. I really don't see that happening in the area I live. Unfortunately moving is not an option. Although to my surprise the girl at the town grocery store told me she was vegan, she has been noticing the kind of food I buy and asked me, I was so shocked! but she is more my kids age, I would probably do a back flip if someone my age told me they were vegan in this town...
#28 Old 08-21-2009, 09:08 AM

Yeah, I have non either. I don't even have any vegetarian freinds/family. My husband eats meat, although he is always supportive and always telling me to do it if it feels right to me. But my family freaked the last time I told them I was a vegetarian, let alone that I am trying to be Vegan for 30 days. "We have been eating meat since cave-man times, we are supposed to eat meat" lol, I get all that from all my friends/family. I just say well to bad you think that way, this is my choice.

It kinda bums me out I have no friends that are Vegans or vegetarians
#29 Old 08-21-2009, 09:13 AM
Veggie Regular

holy crap guys, I'll be your friend!!! add me on facebook if you have it! add me on veggieboards! we all keep saying we have no vegan friends, but that started three pages ago! let's just be lonely vegan friends together
#30 Old 08-21-2009, 09:34 AM
Veggie Regular

0.5% of the population is vegan. The probability of having a vegan friend without seeking them out is pretty low. Find a vegan meetup as others have suggested.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page