"vegan" lunch club isn't 100% vegan - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 08-13-2009, 08:30 PM
Beginner

So, I joined a local mom board when I became pregnant with my daughter. The first thing I noticed was that they had a vegan lunch club. I was so excited!!! Turns out they had the lunch club because many of the children are allergic to dairy and eggs and they wanted a meetup that they could take their kids to and know that the food was safe for their kids to eat.

Anyway, everyone usually posts their recipes of the dish they brought and I liked one of them so much, after having eaten it, that I went out to buy the ingredients myself and make it for my husband. What I discovered was that one of the ingredients (a pie crust) had lard in it.

I debated on whether or not I should say something because I'm the only vegan (and even vegetarian) on the board. Like I said, they only have the lunch club because of allergies so none of them would care about the lard. But, in the end I decided to speak up because I felt if they were going to call it a "vegan" lunch club then it should be so.

Long story short, someone mentioned on the board recently that white sugar in some cases isn't vegan because of the way it's bleached. One of the moms that regularly attends the lunches said she apologizes to the vegan lunch club because she's used white sugar in her recipes and then she asked if we were going to be "that strict".

Again, I feel compelled to say "well if it's a *vegan* lunch club, then yes, you should be that strict". But, since they really only have the group for allergy purposes maybe I should just keep my mouth shut. I honestly haven't gone to many of the lunches because I don't trust that they all use vegan ingredients. They're suppose to post their recipes BEFORE the lunch now because of the whole lard issue, but most don't.

So I don't know what to do. Tell them if they're going to call it "vegan" then it should in fact be vegan or just let them stick to what they're doing and don't go to the lunches anymore.

What do you think?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 08-13-2009, 08:46 PM
Veggie Regular

I hope you do not mind me commenting, I am not vegan myself, but I do believe you should say something. If they are having if for allergy reasons why not call it the "Allergy Club"? Calling it the "Vegan Club" and serving lard is wrong. I would not like to be told something is vegan or vegetarian then found out I ate lard. You avoiding it is one thing - there may be others go that will be misled and eat the lard against their wishes. People may go and get the impression to be vegan is to avoid eggs and milk but eat lard and other animal products - and they might go on to feed other, unsuspecting vegans thinking they are doing the right thing.

If you do not say something for yourself, say something for the others who may not have checked the ingredients later.
#3 Old 08-13-2009, 09:20 PM
Veggie Regular

True. Calling it Allergy Club is far more accurate than calling it Vegan Club where people automatically assume that yes, people will be "that strict". And really, I think people not revealing their ingredients is quite rude. If I'm understanding right, the idea behind the lunch club is to provide food that can be eaten without fear. Not revealing ingredients, IMO, defeats that whole purpose of being able to eat, knowing it's harmless. How would those women feel if some child had an allergy to something obscure like olive oil and ended up in hives because Mrs. X couldn't be arsed to admit she used olive oil in her food.

If the vegan aspect bothers you, don't go to the lunches but I'd certainly speak out about people who keep their ingredients a secret. Having food allergies is no fun but being slipped in a supposedly safe environment is even less fun.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 08-13-2009, 10:09 PM

^ I agree with both of those posts.
#5 Old 08-13-2009, 10:31 PM
Veggie Regular

Yeah I would say just ask for a name change that way in the future any vegans that would join won't get confused.

“May all sentient beings be free of pain and suffering.  May all sentient beings experience eternal joy and happiness.  gate gate pāragate pārasaṃgate bodhi svāhā.”
http://www.facebook.com/doktormartini
http://twitter.com/#!/MartyBaureis
http://doktormartini.tumblr.com

#6 Old 08-13-2009, 10:40 PM
Veggie Regular

Agreed. I'd speak up, saying that they should either make sure the food really is vegan, or else change the name of the club.

--Fromper

#7 Old 08-13-2009, 11:06 PM
Banned

why couldn't they call it the 'egg and dairy free club'?
#8 Old 08-13-2009, 11:18 PM
Siv
Veggie Regular

I've never met anyone who is allergic to steak. Is steak OK for the vegan club? I wonder why they made it vegan for allergies? Peanuts are vegan and I know plenty of people allergic to peanuts. Wheat also... Hmm...
#9 Old 08-14-2009, 12:00 AM
Veggie Regular

(I'm not vegan either, so I hope you don't mind my posting.) This may sound like a bizarre suggestion, but you might suggest they watch the movie Mangal Pandey; lard has started a war!
#10 Old 08-14-2009, 04:17 AM
Veggie Regular

Another vote for speaking up, and maybe you could make a suggestion that everyone post the ingredients of their recipes on the outside of their dishes.
#11 Old 08-14-2009, 05:15 AM

I'm not Vegan, but I think you should speak up.

I would be seriously pissed if I found someone had put a meat byproduct into my food. If they aren't vegans, then they should change the name
#12 Old 08-14-2009, 06:03 AM
Beginner

At one point in time they debated on changing it to the "allergy free" club after I brought up the whole lard issue. I had the moderator post some links to ingredients that aren't vegan and most of them got all up-in-arms because of all the ingredients they had to avoid.

They went back and forth and finally they agreed to keep it the "vegan" lunch club because the vegan friendly people liked that they got to try different foods that they normally wouldn't eat. I would have preferred them making it the "allergy free" club just because I'm paranoid about going to them now.

I know they mean well, but as we all know most meat eaters "don't get it". I don't want to sound like the "crazy vegan" on the board either because as it is I think people avoid me because of the way I eat (crazy, I know). I even signed up for a cake decorating class with a bunch of the moms and I quit after the second of four classes because the one mom kept drawing attention to the fact that my cake was dairy and egg free. Another mom used lard in her cake and this same mom kept saying things like "I bet that cake looks good except for the lard". It embarrassed me so much to be the center of attention that I quit the class.

I don't care so much about being friends with these ladies (frankly, none of them are my cup of tea) but my daughter is only 18 months old and I like her having playdates. She loves playing with other kids and until she's old enough to make her own friends I'm forced to find friends for her. *sigh*
#13 Old 08-14-2009, 06:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegton View Post

I know they mean well, but as we all know most meat eaters "don't get it". I don't want to sound like the "crazy vegan" on the board either because as it is I think people avoid me because of the way I eat (crazy, I know). I even signed up for a cake decorating class with a bunch of the moms and I quit after the second of four classes because the one mom kept drawing attention to the fact that my cake was dairy and egg free. Another mom used lard in her cake and this same mom kept saying things like "I bet that cake looks good except for the lard". It embarrassed me so much to be the center of attention that I quit the class.

Poor you. That must be an awkward situation. You sound like you must be very patient with them. (I know I wouldn't have been if I had been in your shoes.)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page