Non-dairy cheese makes me feel nauseous? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 08-11-2009, 02:08 PM
Veggie Regular

I just tried non-dairy cheese for the first time last night (on an Amy's vegan pizza)...I have to say, it tasted pretty good (not dairy by any stretch, but passable on a pizza...)

But I felt so sick after eating it. I mean, this was some extreme nausea/indigestion. I didn't throw up, but I sort of wished I could have.

So my question was, has anyone else felt nauseous after eating non-dairy cheese? Is it because my system has gone so long without dairy now that even mock cheese shocked it?

Extenuating circumstances: I was drinking beer and had had nothing to eat all day long previous to eating the pizza at around 9:00 PM, so I'm thinking maybe a combination of low blood sugar and dehydration was a major contributing factor.

Try again?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 08-11-2009, 02:41 PM
Veggie Regular

I've gone all day without eating once and I felt nauseous. Maybe it was just that?
#3 Old 08-11-2009, 03:06 PM
Veggie Regular

The only vegan pizza with cheese I could find in the Amy's line was the Rice Crust Spinach Pizza. If you don't typically have a habit of feeling nauseous if you've been a while without eating but then you drink, then I'd say that maybe an ingredient in the pizza did it to you. The only ingredient I could see that I know cause people problems is carrageenan but anything could do anything so it might not be that at all.

Long post short, I say try again, this time with a more even blood sugar and see if you get the same reaction or not.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 08-11-2009, 05:06 PM
Veggie Regular

I ate an Amy's Soy Cheese Pizza tonight + chopped onions and different colored peppers + sprinklings of chopped canned black olives + ****ake mushrooms and a little pepperjack veg cheese to hold everything on the pizza. But... I think it's VEGetarian cheese, not vegan. If you box says vegan, though, then it is. I didn't get the spinach one. Never assume it's the pizza when you drink on an empty stomach that's went empty all day and then eat! I'm guessing you know that's not good for you to go hungry all day!
#5 Old 08-11-2009, 05:41 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
The only vegan pizza with cheese I could find in the Amy's line was the Rice Crust Spinach Pizza.

This is the one we ate.

I think I'm going to just try again. If at first you don't succeed...
#6 Old 08-11-2009, 08:43 PM

Eh, I haven't tried vegan cheese before, to be honest. It's probably not even worth the cost of trying again.
#7 Old 08-12-2009, 06:23 AM

Theres many different vegan cheeses available, some better than others, although it mostly seems to be purely down to personal taste than anything else

Try homemade pizzas too - cheaper, probably nicer, and considerable fun
#8 Old 08-12-2009, 06:38 AM
Veggie Regular

It might have just been that you didn't eat all day, then had something quite rich. You could try it again and see, but pizza is still great without any cheese (or substitute cheese) at all! I now prefer cheese-less pizza, can taste all the other ingredients much better And I've also found that spreading some hummus onto a pizza before cooking (or using as a dip if ordering) tastes great and gives that richness that might be missed with cheese (even though it doesn't taste cheesy - I hope!)

So, if it is the vegan cheese that made you feel ill, fear not, because it isn't the end of your pizza days
#9 Old 10-28-2009, 03:05 AM

If the cheese was soy, you could be allergic to soy. look it up I guess. I react with nausea to soy cheese and other soy products and I've tested positive for an allergy to soy.
#10 Old 10-28-2009, 04:24 AM
Banned

Did you ever try the pizza again, Kellye? What were the results?
#11 Old 10-28-2009, 01:22 PM
Veggie Regular

Could it be an allergy to milk proteins? I'm pretty sure Amy's soy cheese pizza contains casein.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page