VeggieBoards

VeggieBoards (https://www.veggieboards.com/forum/)
-   Vegan Support Forum (https://www.veggieboards.com/forum/60-vegan-support-forum/)
-   -   Vegan diet linked to mental illness??? (https://www.veggieboards.com/forum/60-vegan-support-forum/100992-vegan-diet-linked-mental-illness.html)

unicorns 08-03-2009 03:46 AM

I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this...but it has to do with being vegan so I am going on assumption (assumption dance)



Earlier this year I was leading a vegan lifestyle pretty much until I was diagnosed with borderline personality disorder, which was two months ago. Since then I have been slacker and to be honest, I have really been attempting on concentrating getting my ass out of the gutter and back into reality.



I go to my psychiatrist weekly and said that I had gone off my vegan diet for a while and she said that it was a good thing because my diet could affect my mind and eating meat would help improve my 'mental strength' . I then went onto think I have no idea on the topic. I then said I was still a vegetarian (My mother is looking after me at the moment and cooks me what she can, still vegetarian though, that's off topic though..) Then she said Oh well, can you incorporate fish into your diet..? I am now attempting to find a different psych as I found this pretty upsetting



What's your thoughts on this claim?

Hibiki 08-03-2009 03:56 AM

{sarcasm}Yup, because all those healthy flesh testosterones are awesome for health!!!!{end sarcasm}



When it comes to diet, people will just talk out of their ass. Keep in mind, that even most dieticians are pretty clueless to what a healthy diet is. "Incomplete protein" comes to mind.



Obviously, I'm not any sort of health professional, but a healthy Vegan diet full of nutrients, anti-oxidants and phytochemicals is the #1 is preventing any sort of sickness, really.



Animal-based food consumption rots the brain, y'know!

MrFalafel 08-03-2009 04:18 AM

Another thread on the subject:

https://www.veggieboards.com/boards/s...ad.php?t=30542



Not so sure of the source, but here is a claim that veganism actually helps prevent some mental illness and that meat consumption encourages mental illness



http://www.animalsuffering.com/forum...pic.php?t=7065



Here's a guy that uses a vegan diet as a treatment for mental illness:

http://www.associatedcontent.com/art...at_mental.html

catmando 08-03-2009 06:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrFalafel View Post

Another thread on the subject:

https://www.veggieboards.com/boards/s...ad.php?t=30542



Not so sure of the source, but here is a claim that veganism actually helps prevent some mental illness and that meat consumption encourages mental illness



http://www.animalsuffering.com/forum...pic.php?t=7065



Here's a guy that uses a vegan diet as a treatment for mental illness:

http://www.associatedcontent.com/art...at_mental.html



So that is why you are a vegan?

das_nut 08-03-2009 06:36 AM

Does she have any medical studies to back up her claim?

Hekaterine 08-03-2009 06:38 AM

I'm not sure what on earth would prompt your psychiatrist to say something so outrageous. The only thing I can think of is that some people think that being vegetarian or vegan is a form of attention-seeking or cross-addiction.



Borderline personality disorder is very often linked to some sort of traumatic experience in early childhood and some studies in the last few years have shown lesions on the brain of people with BPD. (Sorry, can't cite a specific source as it was from a conference on increasing access to psychological therapies that I went on a couple of years ago.)



The only thing I can think is that your psychiatrist is concerned that your veg*ism is a symptom of your disorder, rather than something separate from it.



As others have said, there is lots of evidence that being vegan is better for your health - maybe you would want to reassure your doc that you're getting your omega 3 and 6, which doesn't have to come from fish; you can get them from nuts, seeds, avocados etc.



Good luck x

MrFalafel 08-03-2009 06:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catmando View Post

So that is why you are a vegan?



No, I'm from the Vega star system. People from Vega are called Vegans.

catmando 08-03-2009 06:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrFalafel View Post

No, I'm from the Vega star system. People from Vega are called Vegans.



You probably drive a Vega then?

Tearza 08-03-2009 06:52 AM

ARE YOU KIDDING ME?!

that is the most contradictory bass-ackward thing i've heard someone say in a long time.

wow.



There is a group of people in Pakistan's Hunza valley that are vegan and they have one of the longest life spans of anyone on earth, and have no need for hospitals,police or mental institutions.

so are they all just crazy and don't realize it?!

MrFalafel 08-03-2009 07:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catmando View Post

You probably drive a Vega then?



No but my old friend Curt had a Vega and we drove to Las Vegas in it once.

khadijah 08-03-2009 07:32 AM

That is the craziest thing Ive ever heard a doctor say before. I think you need to find anew doctor and get another opinion.

jeneticallymodified 08-03-2009 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by unicorns View Post

I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this...but it has to do with being vegan so I am going on assumption (assumption dance)



Earlier this year I was leading a vegan lifestyle pretty much until I was diagnosed with borderline personality disorder, which was two months ago. Since then I have been slacker and to be honest, I have really been attempting on concentrating getting my ass out of the gutter and back into reality.



I go to my psychiatrist weekly and said that I had gone off my vegan diet for a while and she said that it was a good thing because my diet could affect my mind and eating meat would help improve my 'mental strength' . I then went onto think I have no idea on the topic. I then said I was still a vegetarian (My mother is looking after me at the moment and cooks me what she can, still vegetarian though, that's off topic though..) Then she said Oh well, can you incorporate fish into your diet..? I am now attempting to find a different psych as I found this pretty upsetting



What's your thoughts on this claim?



i'll agree that a healthy diet is going to make you feel mentally and physically healthier in some respects (if i eat crap, i tend to feel rather crap) but i'm fascinated about how meat is supposed to improve your mental strength.



what magical mental strength enhancing compounds does it have. exactly? is this all meat or a few specific types? where exactly in medical school did your shrink learn about these marvelous natural meaty-essences that improve mental health issues?



if they're thinking of omega-3's, i'm disapointed that they didn't specify, or tell you about alternative sources- of which there are many. just stuffing burgers into your gob aint gonna neccesarily fix anything, and i'm doubtful that some amazing transformation is likely to occour from eating fish specifically- might get some nice mercury-related effects though.

Nishani 08-03-2009 10:10 AM

Quote:
she said that it was a good thing because my diet could affect my mind



A poor diet, low in B12, has been shown in studies to affect your mental health, (particularly for those people suffering from bi-polar and schizophrenia), but not a vegan diet per say.

s0ad 08-03-2009 10:54 AM

Don't trust a psychiatrist's advice on nutrition.

They're not nutritionists and they're not dietitians. Doctors get very little training in nutrition and whatever they say is usually nothing more than mere opinion.

I have doctors in my family and can assure you they're clueless about nutrition.



Unless your psychiatrist has done peer-reviewed studies on what she claims, she really shouldn't be making any claims like that and I would be finding a new psychiatrist, and perhaps looking for a dietitian as its always good to have a healthy diet. (:

Cedre 08-03-2009 11:21 AM

You know, it's funny....my psychologist isn't all that impressed with me going vegan either. But she never once mentioned I should quit it....she simply told me to see a nutritionist to examine my diet to make sure I am getting enough of my nutrients, and to talk to my other Dr's about it. I suffer from really bad headaches, so I see all kinds of doctors like neurologist and the sort.

One thing that my specialist said is that when you experience brain injury (which I have from an accident), your brain requires more nutrients, as it heals. The only suggestion she gave me was to eat more frequently and to make certain each meal has enough protein, doesn't matter if it's vegan, vegetarian or omni. A nutritionist told me the same, to eat more frequently. So I try to get loads of nuts in me every chance I get.

Btw, my GP loves the fact that I am vegan. I thought it was because he is one too...but I found out that he's an omni, and just thinks that a vegan diet is the healthiest diet out there...and said that if more ppl were vegan, he'd be out of a job!

unicorns 08-03-2009 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hekaterine View Post

I'm not sure what on earth would prompt your psychiatrist to say something so outrageous. The only thing I can think of is that some people think that being vegetarian or vegan is a form of attention-seeking or cross-addiction.



Borderline personality disorder is very often linked to some sort of traumatic experience in early childhood and some studies in the last few years have shown lesions on the brain of people with BPD. (Sorry, can't cite a specific source as it was from a conference on increasing access to psychological therapies that I went on a couple of years ago.)



The only thing I can think is that your psychiatrist is concerned that your veg*ism is a symptom of your disorder, rather than something separate from it.



As others have said, there is lots of evidence that being vegan is better for your health - maybe you would want to reassure your doc that you're getting your omega 3 and 6, which doesn't have to come from fish; you can get them from nuts, seeds, avocados etc.



Good luck x



Well with my disorder, I am very strict about what goes into my body and I will have a 'harm' food that I will avoid at all costs. I suppose I see meat that way also, and dairy etc. I could go months thinking that say, cauliflower, will do me harm if I eat it.



Completely illogical, I know, but to me it makes perfect sense.



But as for meat, I just can't get over the idea of eating something that has been alive. I just can't justify an animal dying/being in suffering for my taste buds. I really don't think that's a symptom because I feel too strongly about it, but so do I with my harm food, but that always changes whereas my issues with meat and dairy does not. *brain implodes*

Blobbenstein 08-03-2009 08:17 PM

Some people who suffer from mental illness, I have read, see things more clearly than so called non-mentally ill people; which may lead them to be veg*ns.



From the primalscream book, he was saying that mentally ill people are less well defended from their real feelings, which would probably include their real feelings about animals, and meat, and exploiting animals.

das_nut 08-03-2009 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blobbenstein View Post

From the primalscream book, he was saying that mentally ill people are less well defended from their real feelings, which would probably include their real feelings about animals, and meat, and exploiting animals.







What is about dissociative identity disorder?

Fromper 08-03-2009 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by unicorns View Post

Well with my disorder, I am very strict about what goes into my body and I will have a 'harm' food that I will avoid at all costs. I suppose I see meat that way also, and dairy etc. I could go months thinking that say, cauliflower, will do me harm if I eat it.



Completely illogical, I know, but to me it makes perfect sense.



But as for meat, I just can't get over the idea of eating something that has been alive. I just can't justify an animal dying/being in suffering for my taste buds. I really don't think that's a symptom because I feel too strongly about it, but so do I with my harm food, but that always changes whereas my issues with meat and dairy does not. *brain implodes*



Sounds like your attitude towards meat is the same as the majority of VB members. Either we're all insane, or you're making sense. As for the cauliflower thing...



--Fromper


Blobbenstein 08-03-2009 11:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by das_nut View Post





What is about dissociative identity disorder?





?



ok, not all mental illnesses, and not all mentally ill people.





maybe there isn't a statistical connection; I just have thought that there might be, for a while.

beepbeeplove 08-03-2009 11:30 PM

I remember a thread on here a while ago, when someone asked for veg*n sources of a particular amino acid that helps with some mental illnesses. Her doctor seemed to think it only comes from meat, but it turned out that it's in wholegrains and seaweed and stuff

Wednesday_12 08-04-2009 01:41 AM

Veganism, is in some cases, associated with mental illness, as people can become very 'edgey' over what they do and do not consume. Veganism allows them to eat only foods which they regard as 'safe'. This can be linked to types of eating disorders, obsessive compulsive disorders, and anxiety.



Are you sure that you haven't misinterpreted what your doctor was saying?

lindamarie927 08-11-2009 10:00 AM

Keep in mind two things: First, that animals who are being pushed into line in a slaughterhouse are witnessing all of their comrades being killed in front of them screaming in pain, and their bodies fill with toxic stress hormones which OF COURSE get into the meat and affect those who take that flesh into their bodies in a negative way.



Second, eating meat and all animal products does NOT do your body good, despite what the meat/dairy/egg industries want to tell you repeatedly through wholesome-looking commercialss. It HURTS your body. Vegetables, grains and fruits, nuts and seeds: these things are good for your body. You only probably do need a B12 supplement because it is added to animal feed. It is added to animal feed because it no longer occurs naturally in soil as it should because of excessive mass farming. So we vegetarians won't get the what should be naturally-occurring B12 from produce we buy in the supermarket.



I had an obese female 50-something colleague who told me she could never be vegan because she had a host of health problems (diabetes, etc.) and needed to eat meat. DUUUH, what do you think made her sick???



Diseases from the standard animal American diet account for 80% of hospital costs in the USA. It's a no-brainer that meat and animal products make us sick. A well-balanced (and that is KEY) vegan diet can only help you in all ways.

hobo 08-11-2009 11:33 AM

i don't know if someone mentioned this already, but what you eat DEFINITELY impacts your mental health. i know this for sure.



however, i don't agree that MEAT is the answer. it sounds like you are just not getting all of the nutrients you need in order to promote mental and physical health. look into multivitamins or altering your diet! for instance, if you eat three grilled vegan cheese sandwiches daily, of COURSE you're going to have problems. (this is an example.) throw in more veggies, fruits, and make sure you're eating legumes and other healthy vegan munchies.



maybe it would help if you posted an idea of what your daily intake is? it's also possible you're not eating ENOUGH!

Huckleberry 08-11-2009 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by unicorns View Post

I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this...but it has to do with being vegan so I am going on assumption (assumption dance)



Earlier this year I was leading a vegan lifestyle pretty much until I was diagnosed with borderline personality disorder, which was two months ago. Since then I have been slacker and to be honest, I have really been attempting on concentrating getting my ass out of the gutter and back into reality.



I go to my psychiatrist weekly and said that I had gone off my vegan diet for a while and she said that it was a good thing because my diet could affect my mind and eating meat would help improve my 'mental strength' . I then went onto think I have no idea on the topic. I then said I was still a vegetarian (My mother is looking after me at the moment and cooks me what she can, still vegetarian though, that's off topic though..) Then she said Oh well, can you incorporate fish into your diet..? I am now attempting to find a different psych as I found this pretty upsetting



What's your thoughts on this claim?



If meat is good for "mental strength" she should be out of job considering how many billions of animals are killed for their meat.

GhostUser 08-11-2009 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pixelle View Post

A poor diet, low in B12, has been shown in studies to affect your mental health, (particularly for those people suffering from bi-polar and schizophrenia), but not a vegan diet per say.



That is right. I take a B-complex tablet (or sometimes two tablets) every day to help with my depression. I also agree that making sure you get your omegas will help and just getting enough calories and fresh fruit and veg everyday of course.

Melanie 08-11-2009 12:43 PM

People who don't understand veganism or even vegetarianism like to blame all kinds of maladies on it. Plain and simple.

GhostUser 08-11-2009 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melanie View Post

People who don't understand veganism or even vegetarianism like to blame all kinds of maladies on it. Plain and simple.




GhostUser 08-11-2009 01:04 PM

I was diagnosed with depression at age 12. I just turned vegan in February, but since my diet change I've felt happier. I don't thank your doctor knows what she's talking about.

Hekaterine 08-11-2009 02:08 PM

I agree with Toast about taking a B-complex supplement - and making sure your psychiatrist knows you are doing so, which may reassure him/her. B12 deficiency causes depression, tiredness and "brain fog" and has long-term neurological implications. A simple supplement will take care of all that.


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:20 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.